Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 6th YR ( MSG for Teachers) -->> Education should be magical and fun.

• 15-11-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Education should be fun. It should be actually magical and I know that may seem weird because we don't think as education as being magical at all.

What's your opinion on that?.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teachers do what they are told to by 'the powers that be'.

The almighty exam has unfortunately become the point of 'education', not education itself. Hence 'Is this a subject I can do in a year?', 'What subject is an easy A1?', 'Can I get away with not doing x?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

As a past LC student, I agree but as of now, the general population cannot even imagine education not being equivalent to mindless memorization of pointless facts.
    We are all being brainwashed into thinking that the points system and other BS such as categorizing students in strict groups of ages and forcing them to do repetitive work outside of school is the only way of 'educating' people.

I mean most people forget most of the stuff that they memorized in secondary schools. Beside essential knowledge about the world, schools should inspire and assist students and not force them to do things against their will. Every great discovery was made out of passion and love to that area, not by force of an authority.
    There is nothing magical in being forced to do something one does not enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

In my utopian school system, the teaching of formulas without proper explanation of why it works would be banned.

Was very disappointed that our Project Maths book's description of how to calculate the correlation coefficient amounted to "put it into the calculator and let it do the magic".

Economics is also very much guilty of telling people to simply use formula without telling them how it works.

I find if you truly understand *why* something is the case, it becomes 100 times easier to learn, because your brain doesn't reject it out of natural skepticism. This also makes debugging errors during exams a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

In my utopian school system, the teaching of formulas without proper explanation of why it works would be banned.

Was very disappointed that our Project Maths book's description of how to calculate the correlation coefficient amounted to "put it into the calculator and let it do the magic".

Economics is also very much guilty of telling people to simply use formula without telling them how it works.

I find if you truly understand *why* something is the case, it becomes 100 times easier to learn, because your brain doesn't reject it out of natural skepticism. This also makes debugging errors during exams a lot easier.

Trying to learn why is apparently an alien and laughable idea to many people in my school. It bothers me because, for example, I learned to do Junior Certificate accounting by knowing why stuff went where it went, not just because it does like everyone else. Disappointing, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 HomeEc_teacher

space_LSA wrote: »
    Education should be fun. It should be actually magical and I know that may seem weird because we don't think as education as being magical at all.

What's your opinion on that?.

Sounds like an English essay title 😃

• Advertisement
Advertisement