Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd folder structure on XBMC

• 15-11-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've spent the day moving my XBMC install to start using my new NAS (Synology DS415play) - not an easy task in itself, but I'm nearly there.

I'm using NFS and once I've added the source on XBMC, it finds and scrapes successfully, but it's doing something odd. Basically, all the movies are listed, but in order to play one, I have to drill into the movie folder, then play from there.

So when I go into Movies, I see all my movies, and each one shows a thumbnail (but nothing else). Then I click on Movie X, and I get a subfolder with just Movie X, this shows the thumbnail and all other relevant info. I click there and the movie starts. I was sure I had it before that it would start from the main folder.

I have my movies in subfolders under //nas/video/movies - new and chose the 'moves are in subfolders' option when setting content, but maybe this is all perfectly normal and that's why I'm having trouble finding a fix online? If I want the movie to start from the main folder, the movie file has to be in the main folder?

I'm using the Amber skin if that makes any diff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

corblimey wrote: »
    I've spent the day moving my XBMC install to start using my new NAS (Synology DS415play) - not an easy task in itself, but I'm nearly there.

I'm using NFS and once I've added the source on XBMC, it finds and scrapes successfully, but it's doing something odd. Basically, all the movies are listed, but in order to play one, I have to drill into the movie folder, then play from there.

So when I go into Movies, I see all my movies, and each one shows a thumbnail (but nothing else). Then I click on Movie X, and I get a subfolder with just Movie X, this shows the thumbnail and all other relevant info. I click there and the movie starts. I was sure I had it before that it would start from the main folder.

I have my movies in subfolders under //nas/video/movies - new and chose the 'moves are in subfolders' option when setting content, but maybe this is all perfectly normal and that's why I'm having trouble finding a fix online? If I want the movie to start from the main folder, the movie file has to be in the main folder?

I'm using the Amber skin if that makes any diff.

It could be something to do with how they are named in the folders. Did you ever consider adding local .NFOs and artwork. I use Ember for this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    It could be something to do with how they are named in the folders. Did you ever consider adding local .NFOs and artwork. I use Ember for this myself.

I use Ember aswell, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'local .nfo's and artwork' - the nfo's and artwork are in the folders themselves.

So
    //nas/video/movie/Wall-E
      /fanart.jpg
      /movie.nfo
      /Wall-E.nfo
      /Wall-E.mp4
      /Wall-E.tbn

Actually, I've just noticed the 2 .nfo files there. Could that be the cause? Can I get safely get rid of one of them? I must've had the moves in one folder before and used EMM to scrape and then moved them and used EMM again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Yeah, I'd remove one of the nfos, also the .tbn extension is no longer used, you should have movie.nfo and poster.jpg as you're using separate folders for each movie. You should check the new naming convention for Gotham and redo, I changed mine long ago on first release, I used command line to bulk rename them.

Advertisement