Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany warns Uefa could quit FIFA over World Cup report

• 15-11-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/15/fifa-uefa-world-cup-germany-football
    The president of the German Football League has warned that Uefa’s 54 member nations could take the ultimate step of quitting Fifa if Michael Garcia’s report into World Cup bidding is not published in full.

Dr Reinhard Rauball laid bare the tensions within Fifa over the split between the ethics committee judge, Hans-Joachim Eckert, and Garcia, the US attorney who heads the investigatory arm and spent 18 months probing the race for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Garcia has disowned Eckert’s summary of his 430-page report, which effectively cleared Russia and Qatar.
    He said that if the report was not published in full – and Eckert has already said that he will not do that, while Fifa argues it cannot intervene – then Uefa should consider its own position within Fifa. “If this doesn’t happen and the crisis is not resolved in a credible manner, you have to entertain the question of whether you are still in good hands with Fifa,” Rauball added. “One option that would have to bear serious consideration is certainly that Uefa leaves Fifa.

I can't see this happening but does anyone think that FIFA's corruption could ultimately lead to its downfall or a split of different organisations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/15/fifa-uefa-world-cup-germany-football

I can't see this happening but does anyone think that FIFA's corruption could ultimately lead to its downfall or a split of different organisations ?

I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe someday we will all get to see Sepp Blatter blackmail book I bet there is some intersting reading in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I hope this happens, Sepp and his pals believe there are untouchable but they have taken the piss this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Maybe someday we will all get to see Sepp Blatter blackmail book I bet there is some intersting reading in it.

He is probably in possession of the American and Russian nuclear weapon codes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It isn't going to happen because we all love the World Cup too much. That is all that FIFA have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Corrupt organization says a corrupt organization will quit another corrupt organization over corruption report....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Dempsey wrote: »
    Corrupt organization says a corrupt organization will quit another corrupt organization over corruption report....

Corruptception.

I don't think UEFA are corrupt. They're pretty open about the Champions League being a money making scheme but they're kept in line by the Clubs and most of their decisions seem fairly rational. FIFA are untouchable. UEFA very clearly are not.

Their position is completely undermined though by Platini being the Qatar bid's main cheerleader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't think UEFA are corrupt.

Balls (excuse the pun) .... UEFA generate large amounts of money. Where there's large amounts of money, there's corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Will Germany now hand back the 1954 world Cup to Hungary or reject the Europa league modifications that entrench their big money making status even more. I think not.

Very like the English - Rotten to the core.

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    Balls (excuse the pun) .... UEFA generate large amounts of money. Where there's large amounts of money, there's corruption.

That is a massively sweeping statement.

UEFA generates large revenues which it pays out to Clubs through the Champions League. The clubs hold the power in the relationship and everything that UEFA does - from Financial Fair Play to the make-up of their competitions - is about appeasing those big clubs.

They're a very different organisation to FIFA who are accountable to nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That is a massively sweeping statement.

UEFA generates large revenues which it pays out to Clubs through the Champions League. The clubs hold the power in the relationship and everything that UEFA does - from Financial Fair Play to the make-up of their competitions - is about appeasing those big clubs.

They're a very different organisation to FIFA who are accountable to nobody.
    You cannot be that naive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can't the continental federations leave FIFA and set up a new world association?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

efb wrote: »
    Can't the continental federations leave FIFA and set up a new world association?

Why have such small ambitions. IFF - Intergalactic Football Federation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Laughable thing to say. So every single company who generates lots of money is corrupt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It isn't going to happen because we all love the World Cup too much. That is all that FIFA have got.
    The World Cup is nothing if the European teams pull out though. And there's nothing to stop UEFA inviting teams from the other continents to compete in a UEFA World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

efb wrote: »

Course they can, the question is will they. It'd need a pretty major move from at least one massive federation, with the unanimous support of all its members, because otherwise any move would collapse. But it's definitely doable on paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Id love a read of Sepp's Big Book of Blackmail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I still can't beleive England didn't get it.

What are the stipulations? The less football infrastructure the better?

Given the current cold-war esque climate, Russia is a terrible choice.

I'd support a withdrawal from Fifa.

Dempsey wrote: »
    You cannot be that naive!

Which corrupt decisions are you so upset about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Every justification for me for UEFA to withdraw from FIFA.

I dont really see UEFA as corrupt certainly Platini is naive in a big way and as a result so is UEFA but not corrupt as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What would the video games be called?

*****EA_SPORTS SOCCER 2016***** its in the game

COYVB wrote: »
    Course they can, the question is will they. It'd need a pretty major move from at least one massive federation, with the unanimous support of all its members, because otherwise any move would collapse. But it's definitely doable on paper

UEFA could walk away but I doubt the others will follow. Blatter is in that job because of the support that he has from the smaller nations who see UEFA and the established European 'powerhouses' as being arrogant, self-rightous and determined to see the World Cup held in one of England or Germany every four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

UEFA could walk away but I doubt the others will follow. Blatter is in that job because of the support that he has from the smaller nations who see UEFA and the established European 'powerhouses' as being arrogant, self-rightous and determined to see the World Cup held in one of England or Germany every four years.

If the European powerhouses change, it'd be huge. Imagine a world cup without Europe. All you'd need is Brazil/Argentina and people wouldn't even watch the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No Uefa in world cup would equal huge drop in advertising revenue which would equal less money for FIFA which would equal FIFA melt down.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Balls (excuse the pun) .... UEFA generate large amounts of money. Where there's large amounts of money, there's jealousy and baseless accusations.

Fixed

Advertisement