Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisket - where to buy?

Options
  • 15-11-2014 7:56pm

Went into my two local butchers who are generally well stocked but neither have beef brisket. Would anyone be able to recommend a good spot to pick some up in person? Located in South Dublin, terenure/kimmage area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Surprised they won't order it for you if you asked. Try Lawlors in rathmines or downey's in terenure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're much more likely to get helpful replies here in the Dublin City forum.
    Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Brisket is often used for corned beef, so if you know of any butchers who prepare their own corned beef you might be able to get some from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I cook brisket quite a bit but I usually have to order it in. Lawlor's in Rathmines or the Village Butcher in Ranelagh would be where I'd get my meat

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ennis butchers in Rialto might be a good bet.

If I'm near there tomorrow I'll ask if they have it/can get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Was in Ennis last Sat and there was a women in getting brisket. She hadn't ordered it but he was able to get her sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

The butcher on Wexford street will have it too. If they break their own beef typically you will be able to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not a butchers but marks and spencers have pre-pacakaged beef brisket in the supermarket. Obviously with m&s it is horifically expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I got it in keogh's butchers on whitehall road, just across the road from the ashleaf shopping centre before, had to order it in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

retalivity wrote: »
    Not a butchers but marks and spencers have pre-pacakaged beef brisket in the supermarket. Obviously with m&s it is horifically expensive

It was in their 3 meals for €15 a few weeks back. It was meant to be a meal for 2 but youd have it to yourself to be honest. Wasnt a huge piece of meat but it was delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Nearly sure I've seen this in FX Buckelys on Moore St.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Made enquiries of Derek today about this.

Said he has it, and proceeded to give me a short lecture on how to cook it (with great difficulty, apparently - very tough, needs days of marinading and hours and hours of cooking - "if you want it for Sunday you'd want to be buying it on Thursday" :eek:)

Anyway, if that's what you want, he has it.

ETA - also recommended Tom Kerridge as a man who knows how to cook it, particularly this recipe, which while sounding like an AWFUL lot of faff has my mouth watering just reading it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pulled_beef_brisket_in_a_53078

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Slightly OT but how do people find brisket for fattiness ? I just bought one weighing 1.8kg a couple weeks back and cooked it for 8 hours on low in a slow cooker. When done it tasted good but the joint was very fatty, I'd say I discarded almost 50% of it as it was just thick layers of fat. On the piece I bought it wasnt just a layer of fat on top, there was also a 1 inch thick layer running right through the middle of it.
    Is this pretty normal for brisket or did I just get unlucky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think that brisket is the cut used in traditional Irish corned beef - I'm not an expert on this so happy to be contradicted.

I have often seen corned beef with a top layer of fat and a seam of fat in the middle, depends on the brisket, so there seems to be an element or luck in it.
    Sometimes you can tell by looking at the cut whether it has that seam, sometimes you can only tell by cutting it open.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks for that, the seam you describe is exactly what I had running through the middle of the joint. I liked the flavour of the brisket but I think by the time all fat was discarded my 1.8kg was down to about 1kg and I only got 5 portions from it, which wasn't much given the effort of prepping/cooking it over the course of two days. I might give it another order with the butcher to see if my luck improves.

Thanks all, I rang FX buckleys in Nutgrove during the week and picked up 1.6kg of it this morning. I had wanted to try it because of the Tom Kerridge recipe I found before.

Have it resting in the fridge right now, looking forward to cooking it tomorrow.

6XxPaP_thumb.jpg

Advertisement