Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly restaurants in Co. Dublin

• 15-11-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, I come from continental Europe and I moved to Dublin a couple of months ago. I moved here with my dog, she is a lovely Jack Russell.
    As many people from the continent know, bringing your dog with you for breakfast or lunch in a pub or restaurant is quite common.
    Once I moved here I realized that managers here are not of the same opinion, which made me feel going back to the 80s. They seem to find the idea outrageous if not a felony. This really shocked me and I cannot really get over it. Are there actual places where I can sit inside, have some food and keep my dog on my lap? I don't mind paying 10 euros for an espresso, really.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ammollo85 wrote: »
    Hi, I come from continental Europe and I moved to Dublin a couple of months ago. I moved here with my dog, she is a lovely Jack Russell.
    As many people from the continent know, bringing your dog with you for breakfast or lunch in a pub or restaurant is quite common.
    Once I moved here I realized that managers here are not of the same opinion, which made me feel going back to the 80s. They seem to find the idea outrageous if not a felony. This really shocked me and I cannot really get over it. Are there actual places where I can sit inside, have some food and keep my dog on my lap? I don't mind paying 10 euros for an espresso, really.

Ireland is about 10-15 years behind in everything I'm afraid. The only way you'll get a dog in is if you're blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Are there actual places where I can sit inside, have some food and keep my dog on my lap? I don't mind paying 10 euros for an espresso, really.

I would love to bring my dogs too but still wouldn't pay € 10 for an espresso ! Even if I won the lottery !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

thefumbally.ie
    Nice food and dogs are welcome inside, and the espresso is way cheaper than €10,00 eur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I'm in Dublin regularly and always see people outside restaurants with their dogs in the city centre. There's a restaurant near George's arcade and there's always a man outside it with his Jack russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ammollo85

I don't want to stay outside under the rain, in the cold.

• Advertisement

There are covers provided for outdoor seating areas. Animals wouldn't be allowed into the actual restaurant for hygiene purposes. That said there's a man in my local pub here who brings his dog in with him regularly, very well behaved dog. It depends on the restaurant owner rather than the managers, the managers have to stick to the owners rules and also have to think of other customers comfort.

Hygiene purposes? My dog arse is very likely cleaner than those of most people :-). And this does not seem to pose a problem in the rest of EU, because it's not. I tend to agree with Dtp1979 then.

Drunk people yes, dog + owners no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ireland isn't 10 years behind; Ireland has copped on to hygiene. Except in hospitals, of course.

We've gone a bit crazy with it, though - for instance, you used always be able to bring well-behaved dogs on the bus, but you had to bring them upstairs. Since the upper classes abandoned public transport this has been stopped.

Fumbally is a lovely cafe, really good food and a nice atmosphere and layout. If it's dog-friendly, all the better.

I don't really think hygiene is the reason here. The hygienic standards here are much lower compared to other places in mainland EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I love dogs but I don't really want them around me when I am eating. I suppose hygiene is part of it but maybe it's just too off putting to other customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I always thought I'd be against animals inn pubs or restaurants... But having spent time in the south of England where it was common place, I miss it now!!

Pure Irish mentality, only want what I'm used to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

All to do with hygiene regardless of how clean a dog is,most people don't even let them into the house.

I will be more than happy to give all my money to Fumbally then. I wonder if there are other places like that.
    My Jack Russell does not like staying out in the cold, and I would love to go out to walk my dog and have a coffee without having to return home between the two.

I have lived in Germany and Switzerland and they are anal about health and safety, but they allow dogs in restaurants, cafes, museums, trains, planes, buses, supermarkets. Because owners are considered considered responsible for anything their dogs do. Kids, dogs, same thing. And hygiene is on average better than here. Sticky and dirty tables are the felony there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

it's often psychologically hard when you move to a new country, hard to give up what you've been used to as the norm, and realise that there are other norms there.

"Kids,dogs,same thing" ???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Had lunch in a michelin star restaurant in France, where the restaurant owners dog had the full run of the place including stopping by each of the guests for a pet.

Reasons of hygiene are nothing to do with it here - it's just the typical Irish begrudgery that we have - it's a simple case of "no, we can't allow you to enjoy yourself, but we will charge you a ridiculous amount of money for second rate service and food"

As much as I love dogs and my own two (who are 98% always indoors) if I go to a restaurant I don't want dog hairs in my food or drink :rolleyes: Dogs here are certainly welcome on trains, buses (at the drivers discretion) and taxis as I brought my jack Russell in them regularly. If your dog doesn't like the cold then buying him a jacket for walking outside would be the obvious thing to do, he should have one anyway in this weather. Next time you go to a restaurant ask the manager why your dog isn't allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Dogs should not be in a restaurant no way ! 😷

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I wonder if you had a St. Bernard instead of a handbag dog would you be so quick to want to bring them out for coffee???

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Perhaps if you ask restaurant managers around your neighbourhood if they allow well-behaved dogs inside - you might possibly find one that doesn't mind it ( especially if they are dog lovers themselves). I do not have a dog - but was not offended whenever I have eaten in a restaurant where there was a dog present.

• Advertisement

Dogs should not be in a restaurant no way ! 😷

Why? It's like saying that muslims are not welcome because some of them put bombs. Are you able to distinguish between the two groups of people?

Mod note: on thread warning issued for this post

Triboro wrote: »
    "Kids,dogs,same thing" ???????

In terms of law compliance, I don't see how a dog is any worse than a kid. They can both cause damage, but in the end I have never seen a "kids not allowed" sign around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Why? It's like saying that muslims are not welcome because some of them put bombs. Are you able to distinguish between the two groups of people?

I was with you until this OP...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

nc19 wrote: »
    I wonder if you had a St. Bernard instead of a handbag dog would you be so quick to want to bring them out for coffee???

My St. Bernard loved nothing more than her mid morning latte in the local cafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Animals are unpredictable. I have two dogs and they are both well behaved but I can't guarantee they wouldn't bark, annoy other dogs or diners or engage in other annoying behaviour. For that reason I wouldn't inflict them on people trying to relax, it wouldn't be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Ireland isnt behind the rest of Europe. Its just the country we live in. You dont really see dogs in Dublin city centre, as most apartments dont allow dogs in them. Its mainly for noise reasons and because LLs dont like animals in their rental properties. But even Toronto, Canada has banned dogs in places where they serve food for hygiene reasons. Restaurants in Germany has to follow special regulations to allow dogs in their restaurants eg there has to be a special dog on the kitchen

Although Im allergic to dogs. I can sit my dog for hours and not have an issue(super short haired).But have gone into my friends houses and without the dog being in the room, within 10 mins my nose is running and my eyes are watering. I dont want to go into a restaurant and have allergy issues.

I am allergic to dog hair and saliva too, but as long as I keep everything super clean and my hands washed I am fine. I have never had issues with restaurants allowing dogs in Germany nor have seen anybody complain. Dogs in Germany can go almost anywhere, everything is clean, no ebola spreading and people find it normal. Not sure if you've really lived in Deutschland by the looks of it. Italy is the same, because many of us just spend their whole holidays there. Same thing for CH and F.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Out of line ammollo85,
    Your general attitude in this thread is just a bit pushy. Tone it down or the thread will be closed.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I will be more than happy to give all my money to Fumbally then. I wonder if there are other places like that.
    My Jack Russell does not like staying out in the cold, and I would love to go out to walk my dog and have a coffee without having to return home between the two.

I have lived in Germany and Switzerland and they are anal about health and safety, but they allow dogs in restaurants, cafes, museums, trains, planes, buses, supermarkets. Because owners are considered considered responsible for anything their dogs do. Kids, dogs, same thing. And hygiene is on average better than here. Sticky and dirty tables are the felony there.

I had a small chihuahua, I used to take around with me. Whenever we went to sit down to eat, I placed him into a bag. he loved it!. I would take him on the bus this way, and into shops. Only ever got kicked out of Claire's Accessories XD

However I don't know of any specific dog friendly places. Most would be against it because majority of people would not want it. There's also a risk of dog fights etc. My experience of mainland europe, majority of dogs were much much better behaved than you would see here, sadly.

• Advertisement

In terms of law compliance, I don't see how a dog is any worse than a kid. They can both cause damage, but in the end I have never seen a "kids not allowed" sign around here.

Exactly, kids will always be welcome!

Advertisement