Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly restaurants in Co. Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Seriously, you have moved to a new country with different laws than the previous country you lived in. That's it. The laws aren't going to change for one person.*

As I type I am sitting in my kitchen with my cat on my lap and the dog sitting quietly 2 foot away but I still wouldn't like to go to a city restaurant with them. Nor would I expect other people to have to put up with them. And not just because of fear or allergies.

I would be happy to sit outside a country pub to eat/drink at the end of a walk with the dog-but that's not what you are looking for.

* I lived in Switzerland where the laws mean shops close on Sundays and you aren't meant to flush your toilet after 10pm-there are always laws in new countries that seem odd when you are new to the country-getting used to the way things work in your new country is part of the process of assimilating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ammollo85

The toilet flush thing is just for old buildings and it makes sense. Shops closed once a week is also a thing here. What are you talking about?

Because things are the way they are it doesn't mean that they are right or optimal. Find me a scientific evidence of why letting dogs in is a problem, provided that such dogs are clean and well behaved.

Also sillysmiles, can you give me pointers to such laws that are in place in Ireland? I wasn't able to find any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Not all dogs are going to be as well behaved as your jack russell , some will pee some will poo some will bite , i love dogs but i dont think they have any place in a restaurant, probably an insurance issue as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Here's a list of a few places that apparently allow dogs.

http://lovindublin.com/dublin/the-top-10-places-in-dublin-to-eat-or-drink-with-your-dogs-in-tow

Thing is, the law - or if not the law, the custom (though I always thought it was the law) changed about 15 or 20 years ago. It used to be the norm that dogs wandered the streets, pooing at will, and that they'd be allowed into food shops and restaurants. Then at that stage a change (as I say, I thought it was a change in law, and still suspect that this is so) came about and dogs were no longer welcome in any food outlet, nor was it considered good to allow them to wander.

The people who can tell you the law on it, OP, are the Food Safety Authority in Ireland. Google will guide you to them.

• Advertisement

masonchat wrote: »
    Not all dogs are going to be as well behaved as your jack russell , some will pee some will poo some will bite , i love dogs but i dont think they have any place in a restaurant, probably an insurance issue as well

Sure, I completely agree about dog behaviour, etc. That's why fines exist, which is how other parts of the EU deal with it successfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

ammollo85 wrote: »
    Sure, I completely agree about dog behaviour, etc. That's why fines exist, which is how other parts of the EU deal with it successfully.

Fair enough but you can see how it is just easier for them to not allow dogs , i think its a good idea for a poll , should dogs be allowed in restaurants :D

masonchat wrote: »
    Fair enough but you can see how it is just easier for them to not allow dogs , i think its a good idea for a poll , should dogs be allowed in restaurants :D

Good idea. Away you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

SingItOut wrote: »
    As much as I love dogs and my own two (who are 98% always indoors) if I go to a restaurant I don't want dog hairs in my food or drink :rolleyes: Dogs here are certainly welcome on trains, buses (at the drivers discretion) and taxis as I brought my jack Russell in them regularly. If your dog doesn't like the cold then buying him a jacket for walking outside would be the obvious thing to do, he should have one anyway in this weather. Next time you go to a restaurant ask the manager why your dog isn't allowed in.

I love dogs and children but if a customer's dog is sitting beside its owner on the floor, how in the name of all that's holy could you get dog hairs in your food or drink? Floor level dogs with good manners would be a lot easier to manage than children older than buggy age who can climb etc. Frankly, a dog's paws or tummy/behind on the floor are of the same of muckiness as the clientele's shoes. I wouldn't eat off the floor in any restaurant.

I've spent some time in many EU countries, most of the times I was bringing my dog with me. I've never seen such a dog hostile country as this one, which is why I find all the health & safety reasons hard to believe. All I want is just a place where I can spend a couple of hours drinking coffee and petting my paw. It looks like some of you suggested some, and I will definitely give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hygiene purposes? My dog arse is very likely cleaner than those of most people :-)
    When you implement rules like this its far easier to put in a blanket ban than base it on an individual case.

Say you're sitting in a restaurant with your dog and someone else trys to come in with a filthy smelly dog, how do you then refuse them?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    When you implement rules like this its far easier to put in a blanket ban than base it on an individual case.

Say you're sitting in a restaurant with your dog and someone else trys to come in with a filthy smelly dog, how do you then refuse them?

You just say no? o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Just because you like dogs doesn't mean everyone does. I think it is very selfish to make others feel uncomfortable because you want your dog sitting at the that table with you. I certainly would be unimpressed if I went out for breakfast and there was a dog in the restaurant.

What if for example I liked to play the bagpipes while I drink a coffee? Do you think because I enjoy it I should ignore everyone else in there and interfer with their enjoyment of the meal they purchased? No... if I want to play the bagpipes and drink coffee I will stay home and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You just say no? o.O

What if another customer thinks your dig is dirty and wants you to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have never had issues with restaurants allowing dogs in Germany nor have seen anybody complain. Dogs in Germany can go almost anywhere, everything is clean, no ebola spreading and people find it normal. Not sure if you've really lived in Deutschland by the looks of it. Italy is the same, because many of us just spend their whole holidays there. Same thing for CH and F.

I lived in Munich and had friends work in restaurants. There is specific requirements that must be met, if a dogs are going to be allowed in the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

Being from main land europe as well, I also think that it is not health and safety reasons that Ireland does not allow dogs in places, it is because it is behind the times. There seems to be a very big thinking in this country still that dogs are creatures to be left outside the house and not brought in, if people won't even let their own dogs into their own homes, there is no chance of them being let into public buildings! Also in my experience of living in Ireland, probably because dogs are left outdoors alot of the time and not socialized as well as in other countries, they tend to be unruly and overexcitable in public, which is not really what you want in a restaurant for example!!

I too miss bringing my dogs with me everywhere I go, but I respect the Irish rules. There are so many nice things about Ireland that outweighs the con of not being able to bring my dog to dinner with me, like the amazing beaches for example, I lived in a landlocked country...the sea is the best thing in the world and it's everywhere for them to swim in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I love dogs and children but if a customer's dog is sitting beside its owner on the floor, how in the name of all that's holy could you get dog hairs in your food or drink?

Obviously hairs fall off your dog, whether it's short or long hair, of course when a door is opened the hairs are going to blow everywhere, stick to clothes and in turn stay on the table. :rolleyes: my dogs are not allowed on the table yet their hairs are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I remember when I first moved to a rural area with a country pub myself and the OH decided to stop for a beverage to break our walk with the dogs - for some reason (I'm Irish btw) we had this romantic vision of sitting in said pub (two very well behaved border collies lying at our feet) We took our seats and were immeadiately asked to put the dogs outside - we left - the pub struggles to do business as most rural pubs do - they never got ours again.

I really don't see the problem with a dogs allowed policy and think it would be a good way to encourage custom during the day especially in areas that don't get a big footfall. There is nothing unhygenic about allowing an animal in, sure I eat near my dogs everyday - they live in the house.

It annoys me I can't bring them on public transport too. It's not like everyone is going to arrive in a pub or cafe or on a bus at the same time so that there are a herd of hairy dogs to wade through.

It's not for everyone to stop during a walk with the dog for a coffee - but it would be nice to have the option.

I think it speaks at a deeper level about Ireland's attitude to dogs -

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I agree Pretzill.

Not to mention the fact that dog racing is still legal here. Probably I am bringing up the subject in the wrong country...

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    It annoys me I can't bring them on public transport too.

Yeah, I can't bring my dog to her favourite park any more - too far to walk and no car.

You can travel with your dog on a train almost everywhere in mainland EU. My wife and I once went to Rome from Switzerland by train not long ago. Total cost for bringing our dog to Rome and around Italy: 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Small dogs who are well behaved/carried are allowed on the trains in ireland at no extra cost, they are also allowed on the bus at the drivers discretion. I have never had a problem taking my dog on the train or bus. And just to add I also took one of my cats on the train regularly with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

The Blue Light Pub, usually is dog friendly also, can have a pint or two inside with the dog, by the open fire, lovely pint of Guinness also. (Don't think is officially dogs welcome, but never had a problem)

Taxi drivers usually are ok with the dog, if you are nice and ask if the dog would be ok in the car. I have a Glen of Immal terrier, so not the smallest dog also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yeah, I can't bring my dog to her favourite park any more - too far to walk and no car.

No when I walk my dog I don't need a car - I'm talking about a long train journey not a commute - there is no local public transport where I live, however, if I wanted to visit family 200 miles away - it would be nice to take the train - my dogs aren't toy or small breed. You're sarcasm is lost on me.

Edit to add - maybe you werent being sarcastic sorry if I sounded snarky ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Dogs wouldn't be as bad if they were controlled and were trained to sit still with the owner but some will roam.

Most dog owners I have some across think that it is ok for them to allow their dog sniff you or to wander around your legs brushing off you and don't see a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In fairness, surely there is room for dog friendly places as well as regular places. If we had a few places that were loudly dog friendly, it'd be great! I don't have an issue with places having their own policies on allowing or not allowing dogs, and even as a dog lover I can understand why some people wouldn't like to eat in a place with dogs but it would be fantastic to have both options available. I can't imagine any reasonable person would go into a place which clearly said "dogs welcome" then complain about dogs being there?

It seems like you're trying to take a dig at Irish people in general with your post referencing dog racing? I'd imagine the VAST majority of people reading and or commenting don't support blood sports or the dog racing industry. Were you trying to make a point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

You can travel with your dog on a train almost everywhere in mainland EU. My wife and I once went to Rome from Switzerland by train not long ago. Total cost for bringing our dog to Rome and around Italy: 0.

You can bring cats and smaller dogs on a train here and larger breeds can travel in a special compartment.

You seem to have a bit of an attitude to be honest, tone it down and you may find that people in Ireland are actually quite accommodating. I've seen many small dogs in cafes or pubs and had my (larger) dogs inside myself on occasion, I was even offered water for them. It's non standard, but can be done. Things work out better with a smile than by the book in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

SingItOut wrote: »
    As much as I love dogs and my own two (who are 98% always indoors) if I go to a restaurant I don't want dog hairs in my food or drink :rolleyes: Dogs here are certainly welcome on trains, buses (at the drivers discretion) and taxis as I brought my jack Russell in them regularly. If your dog doesn't like the cold then buying him a jacket for walking outside would be the obvious thing to do, he should have one anyway in this weather. Next time you go to a restaurant ask the manager why your dog isn't allowed in.

Pretty sure dogs are not allowed on trains, buses or taxis actually unless they are in a carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Farmer Brown's in Bath Avenue, Dublin 4. I've seen the owners dog running around before so I'm sure they wouldn't mind others.

Advertisement