Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly restaurants in Co. Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Ashbx wrote: »
    If you ever walk along the canal in Dublin there is a pub O'Briens on Sussex Terrace who apparently allow dogs. I haven't tried it myself so not sure how accurate this info is!

I'm in Kildare, actually fairly close to the canal, just not the right part of it :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

tk123 wrote: »
    I've brought mine into the post office and to vote lol :p

LOL mine have been down to the voting station with me too, forgot that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ammollo85

The only two hotels that take dogs in Dublin are: Uppercross House Hotel and Travelodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Newbarn's website says they've two heated patios so that might work in cooler weather.

What a pity about your wedding. I would far rather stay in a hotel room previously occupied by a dog than by a smoker, even if the smoker didn't fire up indoors. Did you speak to the manager/bring your dog to any of the planning meetings to show them how sweet and well-behaved she is?
    Yeah I asked the manager and explained how quiet she is but she just said no, guide dogs only. My dog is as quiet as a mouse, house trained and crate trained. I can't say the same for the children attending...the last wedding I was at that they attended they screamed, knocked over plates and glass, one if them vomited.... dogs over kids any day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Karen91 wrote: »
    Just because kitchen staff know they should wash their hands before preparing food it does not mean they do. Dogs in a cafe or restaurant would be lying under the table or their owners chair, their not anywhere near where the food is being prepared.

My dog does not stink, as a responsible and caring dog owner I invest alot of time, energy and money into keeping my dog in the top class conditon that she is in. You are generalising dog owners, some people care for their dogs better than others. Yes some dog owners do not bother to set rules and standards for their dogs but those people are not the clientele that would be interested in taking their dog to a restaurant.

Just because some of the population dislike dogs it does not mean that dog owners should be restricted, if they want to go for a coffee and take their dog I do not see a problem.

Jesus take a chill pill. Or at least nice big cup of hrt tea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

daveyeh wrote: »
    Jesus take a chill pill. Or at least nice big cup of hrt tea.

I agree that a chill pill is needed here. Daveyeh, for this personal abuse, take a chill pill whilst you're banned from the forum for a week. If you return, please bear in mind that talking to other posters like this is not tolerated in this forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

ammollo85 wrote: »
    In terms of law compliance, I don't see how a dog is any worse than a kid. They can both cause damage, but in the end I have never seen a "kids not allowed" sign around here.

Are you for real ? Children by the way are not allowed on licenced premises after certain times and their presence is frowned upon in certain pubs at all times. But equating children to dogs ?

I've two dogs, a pet JRT and a working Viszla-Lab cross and three children and can't for love nor money see how one could equate the former to the latter.

If one of my dogs bit one of the neighbours' kids without being provoked I'd shoot it in the blink of an eye. If one of my kids gave a neighbours' kid an unprovoked dig he/she would be grounded for a few days and that my friend is the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Are you for real ? Children by the way are not allowed on licenced premises after certain times and their presence is frowned upon in certain pubs at all times. But equating children to dogs ?

I've two dogs, a pet JRT and a working Viszla-Lab cross and three children and can't for love nor money see how one could equate the former to the latter.

If one of my dogs bit one of the neighbours' kids without being provoked I'd shoot it in the blink of an eye. If one of my kids gave a neighbours' kid an unprovoked dig he/she would be grounded for a few days and that my friend is the difference.

In my experience I would rather see a dog in a restaurant or cafe than a lot of children. Parents let them run around as if their in a playground and disturb other people, most dogs on the other hand will just lie down under the table or chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Hi, I come from continental Europe and I moved to Dublin a couple of months ago. I moved here with my dog, she is a lovely Jack Russell.
    As many people from the continent know, bringing your dog with you for breakfast or lunch in a pub or restaurant is quite common.
    Once I moved here I realized that managers here are not of the same opinion, which made me feel going back to the 80s. They seem to find the idea outrageous if not a felony. This really shocked me and I cannot really get over it. Are there actual places where I can sit inside, have some food and keep my dog on my lap? I don't mind paying 10 euros for an espresso, really.

I would not mind a little jack russel in a restaurant but other bigger dogs would be a different story.
    felony is american english word.In Ireland we use the word crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

There are places in the world such as Frankston in Australia, where dogs aren't welcome anywhere in the town centre as I found out one day. I think people are being a bit OTT here especially when there are clearly quite a few places listed by some posters that do welcome dogs. We all love dogs here but lets remember there are plenty of people in this country who think it's grand to let their dogs take a dump in public parks and not clean it up. It's that type of dog owner that have turned many people's stomachs against the idea of a stranger's dog anywhere near their food. Not because we are such a backward country as some people insist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

None of the golf courses or gaa fields in this area permit dogs into them for health and safety reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Most humans are oblivious to the signs of provocation though. Your neighbours kids may well say "the dog just bit me" but neglect to say that they hit it with a stick or kicked it or even trespassing into the garden may put your dog on guard. The likelyhood of a dog biting without provocation are slim to none - there's ALWAYS a reason, the humans are usually either not there watching or can't read the signals correctly.

Some people do view their pets as their family, for some they are akin to children, they're a reason for them to get up in the morning and heading out for a walk with them could be the highlight of their day. While your opinion is different it's not very nice to belittle those that do treat their pets as family.

As for dogs in restaurants, there should be dedicated pet friendly establishments so people who are anti dog can avoid them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I would not mind a little jack russel in a restaurant but other bigger dogs would be a different story.
    What difference does the size of the dog make, if it is lying quietly beside the owner, minding its own business? Obviously provided the tables are far enough apart, that the dog in question is not in your personal space. Or what if the tables were divided up, so that there was a "dogs allowed" area, and a "no dogs" area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

There are places in the world such as Frankston in Australia, where dogs aren't welcome anywhere in the town centre as I found out one day. I think people are being a bit OTT here especially when there are clearly quite a few places listed by some posters that do welcome dogs. We all love dogs here but lets remember there are plenty of people in this country who think it's grand to let their dogs take a dump in public parks and not clean it up. It's that type of dog owner that have turned many people's stomachs against the idea of a stranger's dog anywhere near their food. Not because we are such a backward country as some people insist.
    Well, a few years ago I had a run-in with a woman whom I caught dumping her baby's poopy nappy in the river in my local park, despite the fact that there were 2 bins within 50m of the spot :eek: That frankly turns my stomach against the idea of people like that anywhere near my life, never mind my food :rolleyes: But because they have kids instead of dogs, that's ok, right? ;)

Edited to add: And by the way, she threatened me with legal action, because I brought my extremely gentle dog within a few feet of her child, whom Lola completely ignored, while I was delivering her rightful property back to her (to whit: 1 disgusting, poopy nappy, fished from the river with a stick, which I dumped by Mammy's feet :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Karen91 wrote: »
    In my experience I would rather see a dog in a restaurant or cafe than a lot of children. Parents let them run around as if their in a playground and disturb other people, most dogs on the other hand will just lie down under the table or chair.

Horrible comment, and untrue. You must frequent cafes in terrible areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

The toilet flush thing is just for old buildings and it makes sense. Shops closed once a week is also a thing here. What are you talking about?

Because things are the way they are it doesn't mean that they are right or optimal. Find me a scientific evidence of why letting dogs in is a problem, provided that such dogs are clean and well behaved.

I'm allergic to some dogs. I'd prefer to have my meal without sneezing or my eyes watering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ceekay74 wrote: »

Actually, it's unfortunately accurate and occurs in all levels of places serving food. Not in every one on every occasion, and not by every child/family, but often enough that it can make diners sigh when unfamiliar ankle-biters of the two-legged variety are at an adjoining table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

h2005 wrote: »
    I'm allergic to some dogs. I'd prefer to have my meal without sneezing or my eyes watering.

Grand then don't go to a dog friendly establishment where you can expect them to have dogs?!

It's far from untrue. Parenting by some people is a skill they have yet to learn but they insist on bringing their offspring to places and let them run around unsupervised and to the annoyance of other guests. I would expect it in places like Ikea or McDonalds where they have dedicated play areas so child free customers can choose to sit as far away as possible, but there's nothing worse when you are out enjoying a meal and somebody is ignoring their child running amok and you have to raise your voice to have a conversation with your companion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Actually, it's unfortunately accurate and occurs in all levels of places serving food. Not in every one on every occasion, and not by every child/family, but often enough that it can make diners sigh when unfamiliar ankle-biters of the two-legged variety are at an adjoining table.

Not in my experience. But maybe I'm just more tolerant towards children that some people are.

Not in my experience. But maybe I'm just more tolerant towards children that some people are.

Children can be delightful or obnoxious. It's a mixture of nature and nurture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

tk123 wrote: »
    Grand then don't go to a dog friendly establishment where you can expect them to have dogs?!

I've no problem doing that and like wise the OP shouldn't whinge about his dog not being allowed into establishments.

ferretone wrote: »
    Well, a few years ago I had a run-in with a woman whom I caught dumping her baby's poopy nappy in the river in my local park, despite the fact that there were 2 bins within 50m of the spot :eek: That frankly turns my stomach against the idea of people like that anywhere near my life, never mind my food :rolleyes: But because they have kids instead of dogs, that's ok, right? ;)

I'm not sure what point you are making there, you met one parent who sounds a bit demented. If she was to act like that in a restaurant, it wouldn't be tolerated, I've yet to see a person dump a dirty nappy in the middle of a restaurant. The purpose of restaurants is to serve people, children are small people so allowances are made, unfortunately some parents haven't a clue how to teach their kids to behave in public.

I'm not sure what point you are making there, you met one parent who sounds a bit demented. If she was to act like that in a restaurant, it wouldn't be tolerated, I've yet to see a person dump a dirty nappy in the middle of a restaurant. The purpose of restaurants is to serve people, children are small people so allowances are made, unfortunately some parents haven't a clue how to teach their kids to behave in public.

I've watched a woman change her childs nappy on a table in McDonalds:eek:. I worked in retail for years and remember a woman changed a nappy on the stools that were supplied for customers to try on shoes, one of the staff was walking across the floor pushing a large box of hangers to the stockroom, and she wrapped up the nappy and lobbed it into it:eek:. Demented, scummy parents are far more commonplace than you think, and they are the ones that let their little terrorists run riot. You try telling a parent that their child is acting inappropriately and see how well you are tolerated, you get shouted at and accused of all sorts. It's not that easy to get rid of a party in a restaurant if they are making other customers visit a misery.

Edit: I worked in nursery retail for a number of years(coincidentally not where the nappy incident happened) and really, really had my eyes opened to how some parents have absolutely no idea that their children are behaving inappropriately. Like the woman who ignored her child until he wet himself, or the woman who told her child to go out to the toilet so he walked to the front of the shop, dropped his trousers and pissed out the door, or the one who let her daughter take a dump in a potty she took off the shelf and the countless people that used to let their kids climb on fixtures or break things. We were almost grateful to the ones that used to dump their kids in display cots and shop in peace. At least the kids were safe.

I've watched a woman change her childs nappy on a table in McDonalds:eek:. I worked in retail for years and remember a woman changed a nappy on the stools that were supplied for customers to try on shoes, one of the staff was walking across the floor pushing a large box of hangers to the stockroom, and she wrapped up the nappy and lobbed it into it:eek:. Demented, scummy parents are far more commonplace than you think, and they are the ones that let their little terrorists run riot. You try telling a parent that their child is acting inappropriately and see how well you are tolerated, you get shouted at and accused of all sorts. It's not that easy to get rid of a party in a restaurant if they are making other customers visit a misery.

There's loads of bad parents out there. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I rarely eat in any fast food place so McDonalds could be a nappy dumping free for all for all I know. My original point was restaurants are designed for people, not dogs. Children, although often undisciplined and off putting to others are also people. Dogs however well behaved and lovely are only there at the discretion of the restaurant owner. Many people find the idea of a dog in a restaurant disgusting so therefore a restaurant owner, being there to cater for the needs of people not dogs, may choose to satisfy what they believe to be the preference of most of their patrons and ban dogs altogether.

There's loads of bad parents out there. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I rarely eat in any fast food place so McDonalds could be a nappy dumping free for all for all I know. My original point was restaurants are designed for people, not dogs. Children, although often undisciplined and off putting to others are also people. Dogs however well behaved and lovely are only there at the discretion of the restaurant owner. Many people find the idea of a dog in a restaurant disgusting so therefore a restaurant owner, being there to cater for the needs of people not dogs, may choose to satisfy what they believe to be the preference of most of their patrons and ban dogs altogether.

I don't think the OP cares too much whether it's a fine dining michelin starred restaurant or a bistro/pub or even a greasy spoon cafe, they are looking for options. And as others have pointed out, there's a market for both. If you advertise as dog friendly then the germophobes and hysterical types can steer clear of their own volition. There's the people that would be delighted to bring their dogs out for a pub lunch, then a grey area of people who don't care or mind either way if there's a dog sitting under a table beside them, then there's the ones that are dead set against it, so it's probably not as big a group of customers as an pub/cafe owner might think.

I agree with you and I think the OP has been given quite a few options already which is very encouraging.

I agree with you and I think the OP has been given quite a few options already which is very encouraging.

I think the OP has opened a wider debate that deserves attention, not least for eateries with falling incomes who'd like to attract custom. House-trained, well-behaved dogs should be more widely welcome. The public in general should also snap out of the antiquated 'throw them out the back on a chain & feed scraps' notion of dogs - they're more usually companion animals than working dogs these days and as such are part of the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ammollo85

Finding new ways of doing business has been a driver in the past years in other EU countries. I don't want to think they are more civilized or advanced, but I feel shocked by the general attitude towards pets in this country. People should make a distinction between dog owners. However, I can now understand why. It's probably because of the way some people deal with their animals here, not considering dogs life companions and part of the family.

U don't watch Cesar Millan???? :-)

Advertisement