Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dog food

• 15-11-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone got any reccomendations as to what the best quality dry nuts food out there is? The dog is 8 and a labX German Shepard. She weighs 20kg. She's walked once a day and plays catch with the ball do she's relatively active.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any reccomendations as to what the best quality dry nuts food out there is? The dog is 8 and a labX German Shepard. She weighs 20kg. She's walked once a day and plays catch with the ball do she's relatively active.

You'll no doubt get a variety of answers, dependant on price... The more expensive, the better the quality. Not that price = quality. But, of the better foods, ingredients wise - the more you pay, the better the content.

For the money, we find Markus Mühle great. We buy from zooplus, and spend 75 euro on 2 x 15kg bags.

We also feed RAW.

I came across this website recently - one of many I'm sure - which rates dry foods.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0252/beta-adult

The example here is 'beta'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Basically anything without cereal or rice (i.e. Acana, Taste of the Wild, Orijen etc.) and then it comes down to type of meat and match for your dog (i.e. some dogs don't do well on certain top quality brands).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is royal canine any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is royal canine any good?

Not really. Way overpriced for the quality it is. Much better foods out there for cheaper.

Nody wrote: »
    Basically anything without cereal or rice (i.e. Acana, Taste of the Wild, Orijen etc.) and then it comes down to type of meat and match for your dog (i.e. some dogs don't do well on certain top quality brands).

I just did some research into the above and I'd like to get some of those. Do any places like pet mania or similar stock any of these foods?

• Advertisement

Dogfooddirect.ie do a grain and cereal free duck and potato for 49 euro which is very good value.
    I'm currently feeding my young rottie that as he has issues with eating his paws raw from certain foods so I found this works great for him and isn't as expensive as some of the other grain and cereal free foods.

andreac wrote: »
    Dogfooddirect.ie do a grain and cereal free duck and potato for 49 euro which is very good value.
    I'm currently feeding my young rottie that as he has issues with eating his paws raw from certain foods so I found this works great for him and isn't as expensive as some of the other grain and cereal free foods.

And would that food be on par to the likes of orijen?

And would that food be on par to the likes of orijen?

Well Orijen is a lot more expensive. Depending on your budget really but I couldn't afford to spend 70 odd euro on a bag of food and I don't think Orijen do 15 kg bags either. Think they are smaller.
    Orijen prob would be better quality but you could try the cheaper one if cost is an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I just did some research into the above and I'd like to get some of those. Do any places like pet mania or similar stock any of these foods?

PetStop sell Acana ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭cmssjone

Well Orijen is a lot more expensive. Depending on your budget really but I couldn't afford to spend 70 odd euro on a bag of food and I don't think Orijen do 15 kg bags either. Think they are smaller.
    Orijen prob would be better quality but you could try the cheaper one if cost is an issue.

We feed our dog Orijen and whilst it is expensive, he doesn't need to eat a lot of it each day. The biggest bag we have found is 13.5 kg and you can buy it in a store called Nature and Nurture in Glenageary.

• Advertisement

Is that food suitable for an 8 year old dog?

Is that food suitable for an 8 year old dog?

No reason why it wouldn't be. It's not a puppy food or anything.

No reason why it wouldn't be. It's not a puppy food or anything.

I just bought some from them for senior dogs. Thanks for all the help

I've noticed since using this new food that she's doing a good few more no.2's than she used to. Is this normal? I always thought the better quality the food the less she would poo basically

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

Had a golden retriever for 13 years, stuck to Hill's Science Plan (hillspet.ie) - came recommended by our vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

allyano16 wrote: »
    Had a golden retriever for 13 years, stuck to Hill's Science Plan (hillspet.ie) - came recommended by our vet.

Vets seem to side with particular brand foods for reasons best known to themselves

Par1 wrote: »
    Vets seem to side with particular brand foods for reasons best known to themselves

Because they sell them I think. But back to my original qyestion, better the food less poos or not?
    The food I got was grain free and expensive. She loves it and I think she's much better for it. Her coat is way softer than it used to be. The poo is the only concern I have

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

But back to my original qyestion, better the food less poos or not?

I found with one of my dogs, and indeed I read a customer review which said the same, that it took a number of weeks (certainly 6-8 weeks with my dog) for the poop to stabilise both in volume and consistency. That's with Taste of the Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

I've noticed since using this new food that she's doing a good few more no.2's than she used to. Is this normal? I always thought the better quality the food the less she would poo basically

The newer food could have a higher fibre content which in turn would lead to more regular bowel movements. I have read before also that the higher the fat content the less poops because the body keeps most of the fat in storage.

I suppose the better the food quality the more the body will absorb and use nutrients.

DBB wrote: »
    I found with one of my dogs, and indeed I read a customer review which said the same, that it took a number of weeks (certainly 6-8 weeks with my dog) for the poop to stabilise both in volume and consistency. That's with Taste of the Wild.

Thats what I'm hoping. I'll give her a few more weeks on it to see

• Advertisement
Advertisement