Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA Expiring

Options
  • 15-11-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I am transiting through USA tomorrow on way to Mexico. I have a valid ESTA until Dec 14th. Will I need to renew it or will it be ok to apply again in March for when I return?

Regards
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Check the site and see what it says

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

I did, but its not really clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You are fine, as it is valid for the day you are going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your ESTA only needs to be valid on the day you present at a point of entry to the US.

My travel authorization is valid for travel to the United States but will expire before I depart the US. Do I need to apply for a new one before my trip?

No. ESTA travel authorization needs only to be valid upon arrival in the United States.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#ata7

All that matters is that ....

1. Your ESTA is valid on the day you enter the US

2. You passport is valid for the duration of your visit i.e. is valid on the day you enter and will still be valid on the day you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

coylemj wrote: »
    Your ESTA only needs to be valid on the day you present at a point of entry to the US.

My travel authorization is valid for travel to the United States but will expire before I depart the US. Do I need to apply for a new one before my trip?

No. ESTA travel authorization needs only to be valid upon arrival in the United States.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#ata7

All that matters is that ....

1. Your ESTA is valid on the day you enter the US

2. You passport is valid for the duration of your visit i.e. is valid on the day you enter and will still be valid on the day you leave.

But if this is the case would the us immigration officers not accuse you of overstaying your esta visa? As in how are they to know he wasn't in the USA anytime in January or February, after his esta visa expired like.
    When he tried to re enter the US on route home from Mexico with no esta visa is that not reasoning for being banned?

• Advertisement

They know when you leave, so they'll know he only stayed a night or two.

In March yes, he will need to fill out ESTA again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

What is the official site for esta?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mcw92 wrote: »
    But if this is the case would the us immigration officers not accuse you of overstaying your esta visa? As in how are they to know he wasn't in the USA anytime in January or February, after his esta visa expired like.
    When he tried to re enter the US on route home from Mexico with no esta visa is that not reasoning for being banned?

Three times you mention 'esta visa' which show you don't understand what it's about. ESTA is not a Visa, it does not permit you to visit the US, it only permits you to present yourself at a point of entry. Once you are admitted, the only thing that matters is the 90-day travel permit stamped in your passport, ESTA is completely irrelevant once you're in the US.

Advertisement