Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non PC Words.

Options
  • 15-11-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭

Reading through the DRF and I discover bugger,retarded and ugly are words you can get banned for using.
    Context is everything of course but it is subjective.So can we have a list of non PC words that may cause offence?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are you actually being serious..?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

An File wrote: »
    Are you actually being serious..?

Most certainly am.
    If I could get banned for using them at least I should know what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There is no list.
    Bit of common sense. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

El Guapo! wrote: »
    There is no list.

But common sense isn't all that common?, wouldn't it better if it were outlined?, then there would be no ambugity.

But common sense isn't all that common?, wouldn't it better if it were outlined?, then there would be no ambugity.

If rigid lists are put in place then you get rules lawyers trying to be smart arses. If you read the charter of a forum and get a feel for the flow of the forum you'll be fine. Just keep the "Don't be a dick" rule in mind too.

• Advertisement

If rigid lists are put in place then you get rules lawyers trying to be smart arses. If you read the charter of a forum and get a feel for the flow of the forum you'll be fine. Just keep the "Don't be a dick" rule in mind too.

But the final say is always based on someone's opinion, your version of being a dick could be different to my version of being a dick and so on.

There is no list.

As is apparent from the DRF one person's interpretation of bugger can be completely different from a mods interpretation.
    I've been here a while and not in a million years would I have thought I could be banned for using "ugly".
    So not so sure common sense will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

kneemos wrote: »
    As is apparent from the DRF one person's interpretation of bugger can be completely different from a mods interpretation.
    I've been here a while and not in a million years would I have thought I could be banned for using "ugly".

Well considering that the forum charter mentioned in the DRP you bring up specifically states:
    Please don't make demeaning comments about the appearance of actors/guests that appear in your favourite soaps/tv programmes (saying things like they're ugly, flat chested etc.).

it couldn't be more clear-cut that calling someone ugly is grounds for infraction.

That's why I mentioned reading the charter of a forum you're posting in.
    It's not that difficult really.
    Tbh, asking for specific lists of words that'll get you banned is trying to be awkward just for the sake of it. Use your head and a bit of common sense and you're grand.

That's why I mentioned reading the charter of a forum you're posting in.
    It's not that difficult really.
    Tbh, asking for specific lists of words that'll get you banned is trying to be awkward just for the sake of it. Use your head and a bit of common sense and you're grand.

It's not fair on people to have rules that are open to interpretation.Nor is it realistic to expect people to read and remember every forum charter.

No good making rules and not making them foolproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's not fair on people to have rules that are open to interpretation.Nor is it realistic to expect people to read and remember every forum charter..

so... it's not fair not to list out every non-PC word? And it's not fair to expect people to read them even if we do? :confused:

Which then falls back to the initial response - use some common sense, and keep the 'don't be a dick' clause in mind.

It's not fair on people to have rules that are open to interpretation.Nor is it realistic to expect people to read and remember every forum charter.

No good making rules and not making them foolproof.

So you don't think its realistic to ask people to read a forum charter but it is realistic to make a big list of banned words and phrases and expect them to read and remember that?
    The majority of posters on the site manage to get by just fine. It seems to me that the people kicking up a fuss about this type of stuff are the same people who frequently find themselves on the wrong end of a ban hammer.

So you don't think its realistic to ask people to read a forum charter but it is realistic to make a big list of banned words and phrases and expect them to read and remember that?
    The majority of posters on the site manage to get by just fine. It seems to me that the people kicking up a fuss about this type of stuff are the same people who frequently find themselves on the wrong end of a ban hammer.

Not at all unrealistic to expect someone to read a forum charter,but there's not just one.
    If there is a "big list of banned words"I would certainly want to know what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

For a quick TL;DR, see bottom of post
    Having a list of banned words outside of common sense isn't helpful. It just gives people a chance to be rules lawyers.
    Furthermore even the ban words here are bypassed at times. We were joking around on AH once and one of the mods just said "alright knock it off with the swearing". That was it.
    Mod could have just carded us all and been on their way.

It's not that the rules are open to opinion, really. It's more of the mods can use their judgement on what punishment (if any) is fair.

Taking the word "retard" for example. I say "ah sure that's retarded". I might get carded; it would definitely depend on the forum I use it in and the context.
    But if I'm going around calling posters retarded all the time, I should be warned/infracted/whatever.

TL;DR: Outside of actual banned words (that show up like **** unless you bypass the automatic censor), there isn't really a way to have a big list of "no-no words". I could say things in AH that I couldn't say in Personal Issues, for example. So what you can/cannot say is in the charter. And end of the day, if you're worried, don't say it, PM a mod first and ask.

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mac

And thin client.

Mac

Reported.

Reported.

Reporteded

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Sauve wrote: »
    Reporteded

Reportededed

• Advertisement

Why is it permitted to take the piss in a Feedback thread?, fair enough you might not agree with the OP but it's not on to belittle their opinion and from mods aswell, who should be setting a certain standard.

[quote="RopeDrink;93053976"

Also, please note that it doesn't boil down to what the moderator themselves think, but what is clearly upsetting the other posters. If many people found the use of a term/word/context offensive and it was being mass reported, action would be considered - not just performed on a whim as implied.[/quote]

That's hardly any better,makes it even more erratic IMO.

Why is it permitted to take the piss in a Feedback thread?, fair enough you might not agree with the OP but it's not on to belittle their opinion and from mods aswell, who should be setting a certain standard.

Ara I'm only having the craic. Sometimes a bit of craic does no harm :)

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It is more versatile and adaptive to respective communities that way, compared to writing a 'list' of 'banned' words dictated by a person (or group of people) and outright stomping on them entirely from then on.

As people say, some find X offensive while others might not - times also change and words drop in meaning or their uses change, much like what was discussed in the thread regarding the word 'retarded'.

Ultimately, context in a lot of cases is key, plus it doesn't take much to exercise a bit of common sense when posting.

Fair enough.
    Bottom line is though some words are open to interpretation.It's not like these words have to be used or there aren't any alternatives.

My point was that if there is going to be rules at least don't leave them with glaring loopholes.

Fair enough.
    My point was that if there is going to be rules at least don't leave them with glaring loopholes.

And what do you think a list of words will do?

And what do you think a list of words will do?

Make people aware that they may be banned if they use them.

Again, common sense and a read of the forum charter will give you the info you need.
    It's not like there's a random word of the week that'll get you banned. Use your head and don't be a dick and you'll avoid being banned.

So we don't use them. We use words that mean the same but aren't specifically banned.

Thus, the loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

banning words is all a bit draconian wouldn't you think?

The restriction on some words in specific contexts in specific fora is reasonable but a general ban is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

banning words is all a bit draconian wouldn't you think?

The restriction on some words in specific contexts in specific fora is reasonable but a general ban is too much.

So the word c.unt should be allowed?

That's an offensive word (to some) and is banned and rightly imo so yeah i think a general ban on some words is a good thing. Saying that if i type out **** it gets starred like this but i see many post like cunt cnut and kunt and nothing gets said. If you are going to ban an offensive word to the point it is in the swear filter then it should be banned in all forms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement