Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non PC Words.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Reported for use of bad word! :pac:

A C.unt is just a cockney on a scuba diving treasure search.*

*may be too obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So the word c.unt should be allowed?

of course it should unless it's used to abuse other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

kneemos wrote: »
    Context is everything
    Exactly, this is one of the reasons why there is no list, and won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

of course it should unless it's used to abuse other posters
    Much as I'd love to agree with you I can't. Some words are deeply offensive to some people irrespective of the context you place upon it. Sometimes it is the word and not the context.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

This is a stupid request. Context is everything.

Take the word bitch; if I call someone a bitch I am abusing them and would deservedly pick up a card.

However a "naughty list" would by extension have me earn a card for referring to a "bitch in heat" in the Animals & Pet Issues forum; which would be ridiculous.

There are very few words that aren't ambiguous in that respect. The important thing is the intent with which a particular word is used. I would have felt that was glaringly obvious so I really do question the true intentions of the OP here.

Edit; actually maybe I'll take that last bit back because having looked through kneemos previous posts I believe he started this thread in response to someone calling someone elses friend retarded. And to be honest, I'd agree with him/her over the use of that word, the word "retarded" is a major bugbear of mine as it almost exclusively used as a means of derision of either a person or what they are saying. It's below the belt and almost never used in a correct context. (Incidentally, one of my biggest "bugbears" is the word bugbear itself!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We're not making a list of Banned Words for people - discretion and context are the 2 deciding factors for any mod to make any decision on anything they do, including determining if a word is being used in anger or context. If you don't want to run into problems, don't post things that cause problems - this bizarre insistence people seem to have on absolute lists of rules and/or the right to be abusive within some sort of imagined boundary of "acceptable abuse" needs to go away, we're not going to indulge it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement