Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Our house is about 35 years old and there was an alarm fitted when we moved in 20 years ago. There's infrared sensors downstairs and the windows and external doors are fitted with contacts but they're not working on most windows.

Because we have a dog, we don't use the full alarm when we're out, as she'd trigger the infrared beams, so we just use the part guard which isn't much good as it would only set off the alarm if one of the doors was opened. The alarm isn't monitored either, our next door neighbour has a key, if it goes off.

So all in all it's not a very good system, and I was thinking of upgrading it so I could turn it on and off remotely and be alerted on my phone if it goes off.

Anyone any suggestions on a suitable system, and approx cost for a 4 bed semi. I wouldn't want to spend more than €600.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If upgrading I would look at the GSD i70,Siemens or Risco these will all give you free self monitoring over IP and free apps. Whether you can do all this in your budget would depend on the state of the detection and devices and if they need to be replaced/rewired etc. Also look at sensors and contacts for ground floor and accessible windows.
    Beware of systems where you are charged for apps & charged annual subscriptions for remote access. This is not needed for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I wouldn't go near the GSD i70 as it is an all in one unit. Always best to have a seperate panel eg Risco,Hkc or siemens.
    If you do choose a system with free service just remember that you will not have a leg to stand on should the System fail to notify you of an acrivation. Also if your systems communucation path fails then you won't be notified of the issue as quickly as the paid for service.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can also get the i70 with a separate keypad or use a power supply and expander as a separate control panel if you are retro fitting.
    You could have full monitoring and multiple comms paths if you want to pay for annual fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

KoolKid wrote: »
    If upgrading I would look at the GSD i70,Siemens or Risco these will all give you free self monitoring over IP and free apps. Whether you can do all this in your budget would depend on the state of the detection and devices and if they need to be replaced/rewired etc. Also look at sensors and contacts for ground floor and accessible windows.
    Beware of systems where you are charged for apps & charged annual subscriptions for remote access. This is not needed for what you want.

Any tips on were to get any of these brands?

I'm upgrading my house alarm also and have UPC phone/broadband so I know these some a Restrictions with UPC.

Take a look at the Suppliers Sticky.

Siemens is available through
    Northwood Technology
    REW
    RWL
    Borsatec.
    Risco Is available through
    REW

GSD Is available through

IDAS
    Kellighers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Northwood Technology
    REW
    RWL
    Borsatec.
    REW

GSD Is available through

IDAS
    Kellighers

Thanks for that... Do any of them have app for contacting etc.. Or a dialling box as I remember UPC doesn't text based systems?

All of those systems have free apps & free cloud connection services without any subscriptions etc.
    I am currently testing the new Siemens app & cloud service.Its sweet. I'm told it will be available by the end of this month.I have promised quite a few people this nice present in time for Christmas.:D

The GSD has a voice dialler on board if you want the more basic voice alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Northwood Technology
    REW
    RWL
    Borsatec.
    REW

GSD Is available through

IDAS
    Kellighers

REW won't supply Risco gear to anyone bar installers. I checked this out a while ago.

Really depends on how you go about it. Most places will say trade only over the phone anyway.

Advertisement