Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penneys Liffey Valley

• 16-11-2014 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Anyone know is Penny's moving to Liffey Valley or when the Tesco is going to open there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

CJ1 wrote: »
    Anyone know is Penny's moving to Liffey Valley or when the Tesco is going to open there?

Theres very few units in Liffey Valley big enough for a Penneys and they're all occupied by major operators, Dunnes, M&S, Boots, Next, etc... Cant see it happening without a major expansion unless they open in the retail park. Similarly Tesco, that would require a major construction, there's not a sod turned so don't expect it any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Cant see it happening without a major expansion unless they open in the retail park. Similarly Tesco, that would require a major construction, there's not a sod turned so don't expect it any time soon.

Planning permission was granted over a year ago (after all appeals) for a major development anchored by Tesco (beside B&Q)

Linky

Perhaps Tesco want to see a further improvement in the economy first before starting to build, who knows? Once building starts it should be finished in months not years though I would have thought.

I've heard that Penney's might be opening a shop in this retail park, but I have no link for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

unkel wrote: »
    Planning permission was granted over a year ago (after all appeals) for a major development anchored by Tesco (beside B&Q)

Linky

Perhaps Tesco want to see a further improvement in the economy first before starting to build, who knows? Once building starts it should be finished in months not years though I would have thought.

I've heard that Penney's might be opening a shop in this retail park, but I have no link for it.

Not sure how true it is, but hubby had heard rumour that the pennys was to be the under retail unit at the Tesco and was a condition of PP being granted, like I said, no idea how true that is or where hubby got his info from, but would be fantastic to have a pennys this side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yep that's one thing missing from Liffey Valley is Penny's, it will save dragging over to Blanchardstown to get to the nearest one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There's been rumours of penneys opening there for years...but no idea where these 'rumours' have come from. Lots of space up there for further development and Dublin bus were meant to have a big terminus there too but that disappeared as well.

• Advertisement

http://bdmproperty.ie/hsbc-fund-spends-e250m-on-stake-in-liffey-valley/

Saw a post on fb from gala cabs that they were moving for building work to commence. Really hope it's true.

*know it's an old article I linked*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've been told by a couple of people that it's definitely happening. They're adding another level upwards to the centre and penny's will go in there. There's been some deep excavations in the car park outside the vue entrance recently which are connected I believe.

Dunnes could find themselves with some stiff competition.

image.jpg

Screenshot of said post by gala cabs, looks fab! 3 storey food court, bout time something is done with liffey valley, it's great and all, but getting a bit boring with so many of the better shops closing.

That extension is new to me. Looks grand. Not where Penneys and Tesco will go though afaik. They're to open in a new development (anchored by Tesco) opposite B&Q.

Now can we get a few shops in Liffey Valley that are not clothes shops please? :)

Many of us men are bored going there and have been for years...

Now can we get a few shops in Liffey Valley that are not clothes shops please? :)

There's other kinds of shops?!

• Advertisement

That extension is new to me. Looks grand. Not where Penneys and Tesco will go though afaik. They're to open in a new development (anchored by Tesco) opposite B&Q.

Many of us men are bored going there and have been for years...

It's still a step up from Blanch which lost its appeal once HMV closed down! Thank God LV has HMV and Dixons across from each other!.

It's still a step up from Blanch

I can't agree. At least Blanch has the likes of Maplins, HN and bless the recession, plenty of cheapo shops like dealz, mr price, 2 euro shop (and Penney's)

Far better places to eat too with Wagamama being our favourite and the occasional KFC

LV has none of those

I can't agree. At least Blanch has the likes of Maplins, HN and bless the recession, plenty of cheapo shops like dealz, mr price, 2 euro shop (and Penney's)

Far better places to eat too with Wagamama being our favourite and the occasional KFC

LV has none of those

Well LV does have KFC, Maplins and Harvey Norman I can live without plus I can head over to PC World and Currys. Problem with Blanch is everything is so spread out. I heard that one of the guys in Golden Discs has shares in the blanch centre and is stopping HMV going back in there but Heard this will change in the next 12 months and hopefully HMV will open up there again.
    It used to be great with HMV and Virgin open there.

Well LV does have KFC

Indeed, my mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fagashlil wrote: »
    image.jpg

Screenshot of said post by gala cabs, looks fab! 3 storey food court, bout time something is done with liffey valley, it's great and all, but getting a bit boring with so many of the better shops closing.

Wow that looks fantastic! I'd heard that Penneys was going in where Vue is and Vue is getting a new entrance and extending but I dunno if that would really work. I do think Penneys will go in the centre though, it would be a huge mistake for it not to be.

I totally agree about LV's lack of cheapo shops, a big Dealz would be class! There's space in the retail park and a Dealz would make a killing there.

Oh I just saw this on Gala Cabs' Facebook:
    The image below will be how liffey valley will look in 10 months time. 9 New restaurants on 3 floors to the right of the main doors and Penny's to the left.
    So the restaurants are moving over and Penneys will take their space? That makes a lot of sense!

Yeah would love a dealz up the back retail park its badly needed Penny's in Liffey Valley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Some decent restaurants there would be very much appreciated! The place badly needs them.

phasers wrote: »

So the restaurants are moving over and Penneys will take their space? That makes a lot of sense!

That space wouldn't be big enough for Pennys. They's want a space as big as Dunnes if not bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I think this is great for the area. Can't wait to have the place refurbished. A pennys will be a great addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Any idea what the restaurants will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Liffey Valley's a kip. I never go there. When I heard of the expansion I was hoping it would be good but it sounds like crap. More restaurants? Ya because that's why I want to go to a "shopping" centre.Cinema? Same story. Civic space? Wow, I can't wait.

sligeach wrote: »
    Liffey Valley's a kip. I never go there. When I heard of the expansion I was hoping it would be good but it sounds like crap. More restaurants? Ya because that's why I want to go to a "shopping" centre.Cinema? Same story. Civic space? Wow, I can't wait.

It's good for the local area. Jobs were announced today because of it and that is not a bad thing at all.
    Regardless of whether you think the place is a kip or not, the locals welcome the refurbishment and the investment in the area.
    It's also nice to have nice places to eat that don't cost the earth and are within walking distance of my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel!

Though in fairness there is too many clothes shops. Find it a bit boring myself. But it's clean and modern still.

It's good for the local area. Jobs were announced today because of it and that is not a bad thing at all.
    Regardless of whether you think the place is a kip or not, the locals welcome the refurbishment and the investment in the area.
    It's also nice to have nice places to eat that don't cost the earth and are within walking distance of my house.

Don't get me wrong, it's great about the jobs. I just wish it was better invested. It's the nearest shopping centre to me but I never go there because of the lack of real shops. Blanch, Omni Park, Dundrum are all so much better.

Don't get me wrong, it's great about the jobs. I just wish it was better invested. It's the nearest shopping centre to me but I never go there because of the lack of real shops. Blanch, Omni Park, Dundrum are all so much better.

What pray tell is a real shop?

If I'm honest it could do with a grocery shop other than M&S but other than that it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

There is a bad selection of shops to be fair. Great if you are a girl looking for clothes.

What pray tell is a real shop?

If I'm honest it could do with a grocery shop other than M&S but other than that it's fine.

That's what I hate most about it. Don't M&S have a stipulation where they are the retailer allowed to have a grocery department?

That's what I hate most about it. Don't M&S have a stipulation where they are the retailer allowed to have a grocery department?

If they are the anchor tenant it could be a stipulation of their lease.

• Advertisement

I just hope they're not bloody fast food places similar to what is already there in the foodhall.
    A Wagamama, Counter or Douglas & Kaldi would be great

Heroditas wrote: »
    I just hope they're not bloody fast food places similar to what is already there in the foodhall.
    A Wagamama, Counter or Douglas & Kaldi would be great

There is already two upper end burger spots in the food hall and an oriental place too. The other place is a standard enough restaurant.

What's in Blanch that is not in LV? Other than the Dunnes grocery section and Pennys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Hopefully they are trying to go like Dundrum with good food options that are not all fast food or glorified fast food. In fairness Noah & Co, the place that replaced Kylemore is really good.

There is already two upper end burger spots in the food hall and an oriental place too. The other place is a standard enough restaurant.

Oriental one? I'm drawing a blank.

foreign wrote: »
    What's in Blanch that is not in LV? Other than the Dunnes grocery section and Pennys?

Zara-I live in hope that with the addition of Bershka that Zars is on the list for an empty unit.

And a MR Price or some such random shop of stuff would be welcome!!

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Oriental one? I'm drawing a blank.

Ginzeng? Upstairs beside o'briens and BB's.

The new Thunders cafe is nice too, wasn't too impressed with the sandwich I got, but love going for tea and cake, they do yummy vienesse fingers!

Ginzeng? Upstairs beside o'briens and BB's.

The new Thunders cafe is nice too, wasn't too impressed with the sandwich I got, but love going for tea and cake, they do yummy vienesse fingers!

Ah fair enough! Don't think I've ever noticed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The car parks are always jammers in LV.

I bring my disabled Mum there occasionally, and I have NEVER been able to get a disabled spot, ever. I don't know why that is. I have sent a message to the management company about this, and they are looking into it. Consequently, I have to cruise around for ages looking for ANY spot, and when you have a wheelchair too, it can be bloody awkward!

Anyway, I'm delighted Penneys is coming. That place needs a few more "cheap and cheerful" spots to it. It can be quite high end, and totally Girly for me. A euro shop would be hilarious, and would make a fortune! Not everyone wants to go to Coast for a dress for example!

I personally don't like LV, but it's handy for Mum, she likes her M&S stuff. Box ticked!

I often wondered about those who do not have a car. And many don't. The walk from the bus stop on the N4 is a tad long. I know other buses stop near Vue though. Anyway, if you don't have a car and want to have a look in the outlets like B&Q Argos etc. it's a long haul, and really cannot be done without a car. I know most people need a car to haul the stuff home, but sometimes it's nice to have a nose, take note, and come back for it with the car!

A little courtesy shuttle bus around that huge place would be fantastic!

Anyway, I hope it all works out well. It was a great boost to the area, and I'm delighted there is more investment going on now.

I bring my disabled Mum there occasionally, and I have NEVER been able to get a disabled spot, ever. I don't know why that is. I have sent a message to the management company about this, and they are looking into it. Consequently, I have to cruise around for ages looking for ANY spot, and when you have a wheelchair too, it can be bloody awkward!

Anyway, I'm delighted Penneys is coming. That place needs a few more "cheap and cheerful" spots to it. It can be quite high end, and totally Girly for me. A euro shop would be hilarious, and would make a fortune! Not everyone wants to go to Coast for a dress for example!

I personally don't like LV, but it's handy for Mum, she likes her M&S stuff. Box ticked!

I often wondered about those who do not have a car. And many don't. The walk from the bus stop on the N4 is a tad long. I know other buses stop near Vue though. Anyway, if you don't have a car and want to have a look in the outlets like B&Q Argos etc. it's a long haul, and really cannot be done without a car. I know most people need a car to haul the stuff home, but sometimes it's nice to have a nose, take note, and come back for it with the car!

Anyway, I hope it all works out well. It was a great boost to the area, and I'm delighted there is more investment going on now.

The trick with the parking is to head to the car park by M&S, I'm a new driver and I'm not confident parking and I have to take my time. I head down there and usually tend to have a lot of spaces free. Everyone parks up in the Vue and circles the place for ages when they could have parked up behind M&S (to the left of it, not in front of it) and done their shopping in the same time.

A shuttle bus would be a great idea.

The trick with the parking is to head to the car park by M&S, I'm a new driver and I'm not confident parking and I have to take my time. I head down there and usually tend to have a lot of spaces free. Everyone parks up in the Vue and circles the place for ages when they could have parked up behind M&S (to the left of it, not in front of it) and done their shopping in the same time.

A shuttle bus would be a great idea.

Thanks for the tip. I come in from the Lucan side and automatically head for the disabled spaces outside Vue. Can you believe that I forget about the Purple Car park, I'm a numpty, especially as M&S is on the list! Doh.

I must try harder in future, and break the habits of a lifetime!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip. I come in from the Lucan side and automatically head for the disabled spaces outside Vue. Can you believe that I forget about the Purple Car park, I'm a numpty, especially as M&S is on the list! Doh.

I must try harder in future, and break the habits of a lifetime!

I know! Sure I only live across the road from it and my Mom complains that I drive to the complete other end of the centre to park.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wheel chair spots are usually available down in the Marks section! Its not big for you to need a shuttle bus in fairness, takes 5 mins to walk the length of the indoor shopping centre

Wheel chair spots are usually available down in the Marks section! Its not big for you to need a shuttle bus in fairness, takes 5 mins to walk the length of the indoor shopping centre

Thanks I'll try that end next time!

Re the shuttle bus, I was referring to the Retail Park not the main centre. For those who just want to browse, they could leave their car parked where it is, and take the shuttle bus fom the main centre to the Retail Park and back. This would facilitate non car owners aswell.

The retail park is only accessible to car owners. Although I do have a car, sometimes I take the bus there to browse if I don't have bring my disabled mum, and it's a long walk to the retail park.

It's just a thought, probably off the wall, but there ya go!

I was there this morning, all bar 1 of the wheelchair spaces in the purple car park were empty, have never seen a car in the red ones either. Wish there was more P&C spaces, it can be a nightmare trying to put a car seat in and make sure the door doesn't blow into the car parked beside, especially as it's often windy up there.

I was there this morning, all bar 1 of the wheelchair spaces in the purple car park were empty, have never seen a car in the red ones either. Wish there was more P&C spaces, it can be a nightmare trying to put a car seat in and make sure the door doesn't blow into the car parked beside, especially as it's often windy up there.

P&C is a lot easier to get down by marks. In the morning u usually get one. But I have seen people parking in them and disable spot, and get bus to town.

Boils my blood

P&C is a lot easier to get down by marks. In the morning u usually get one. But I have seen people parking in them and disable spot, and get bus to town.

Boils my blood

I never park anywhere but Marks!!

Just to update. I was in LV this morning with Mum and my sister. We got a disabled space in Purple at 10.15am.

When we left at 12,30, there was not a disabled space to be had.

Now please don't get me wrong, but are people using the disabled cards for the right reasons?

I saw a fella on his own, unloading his supermarket trolley from Marks. Then he got in the car and went off. No wheelchair or kid or anything. I Made a point of looking, he was two cars down, but had a blue card in the window.

Anyway, I am probably taking this off topic. Sorry.

Just to update. I was in LV this morning with Mum and my sister. We got a disabled space in Purple at 10.15am.

Now please don't get me wrong, but are people using the disabled cards for the right reasons?

I saw a fella on his own, unloading his supermarket trolley from Marks. Then he got in the car and went off. No wheelchair or kid or anything. I Made a point of looking, he was two cars down, but had a blue card in the window.

I prefer to give people the benefit of doubt given that there's so many invisible disabilities that qualify, but its so hard to know. I always make sure to walk on the path and look at all the cars, have only ever once seen one without the blue card, the poor lady was elderly and frail and had been clamped, felt very sorry for her, BUT rules is rules. You like to think people only use them for the person for whom the card is intended, but knowing several people who have them for disabled parents yet use them to get the only parking spot in the village when I know for a fact the disabled person hasn't left the house in years except to go to hospital.

You never know, his wife or partner, mother, father etc might be disabled and that's why he had the sticker.
    He might also have a disability that isn't readily apparent.
    However, like yourself, I'm extremely skeptical when I see many of these cars occupy the disabled spots

You have a right to be annoyed, its not right what they are doing. The same for Parent and child space

• Advertisement
Advertisement