Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penneys Liffey Valley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

GarIT wrote: »
    Not if you're in Celbridge, Maynooth, Leixlip or Kilcock, that's about 50k people just there.

I lived in North Kildare for 22 years and I would have never considered going to Newbridge, that could just be me but I was under the impression others were the same.

Plus you have the whole catchment area around southwest Dublin that had no Penneys. Tallaght alone has about 100K people and they amazingly have no Penneys. I think the Square wanted to get them in but Dunnes objected. The one in Rathfarnham is small and dated so Liffey Valley will be their destination also.

I haven't been to LV in over a year so will be curious to see the new restaurants and Penneys but I will definitely not go this side of Xmas as the crowds will be too mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what time is it opening at. Is there going to be any deals or specials on for the opening?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

AMKC wrote: »
    So what time is it opening at. Is there going to be any deals or specials on for the opening?

Opens at 9.30. Liffey Valley is going to be bedlam today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I was in Liffey Valley yesterday around 2pm and there were very glammed up looking people swanning around with their bags of Pennys shopping. Looks like about 30 people got an advance entry shopping day. They were all boarding two mini buses with a big Pennys logo on the side. Maybe competition winners or bloggers or something like that???

Possibly.
    There was a "friends and family" day there on Sunday to test all the systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

There was queues from the top of the fonthill road this morning and going out the N4 around 10 the queue for the slip road down to the dead mans started around A
    Woodies, I would say Liffey Valley will be a disaster for traffic and parking well into January!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd say it's more first day buzz than anything. It'll settle down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

There was huge queues of people outside waiting to go in (from Penneys Snapchat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    There was huge queues of people outside waiting to go in (from Penneys Snapchat).

Did a search on Twitter and found this...

http://www.dailyedge.ie/new-penneys-liffey-valley-3122320-Dec2016/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Not looking forward to the drive home later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

me_irl wrote: »
    Did a search on Twitter and found this...

http://www.dailyedge.ie/new-penneys-liffey-valley-3122320-Dec2016/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Not looking forward to the drive home later!

People only went for the freebie's this morning, its only a shop and get back to normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

People only went for the freebie's this morning, its only a shop and get back to normal
    Were Penneys giving away freebies? They don't usually. I know I'm happy Penneys has opened there as I'm not from Dublin and it saves me traveling into the city centre for a good Penneys (Marys st) but I don't get the hype on social media today. I don't think there's anything in the new store that Mary St (or another Penneys branch) hasn't got.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Were Penneys giving away freebies? They don't usually. I know I'm happy Penneys has opened there as I'm not from Dublin and it saves me traveling into the city centre for a good Penneys (Marys st) but I don't get the hype on social media today. I don't think there's anything in the new store that Mary St (or another Penneys branch) hasn't got.

Just guessing there was freebies.

Yeah its great to have close by, I know my wife will be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dunnes Stores must be feeling a bit....meh today!

I dropped in there around 4 and it was fairly busy but by no means mobbed. There were still plenty of parking spots in the car park and Liffey Valley was starting to really empty out when I left just before 5.

Was there just after 6. Busier than a normal Tuesday but definitely not chaotic. No queues or anything at Penneys (didn't go in myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Isn't it great to see such strong numbers of healthy working age people turning out on a Tuesday morning. Hopefully they'll have a big section dedicated to interview suits.

hmmm wrote: »
    Isn't it great to see such strong numbers of healthy working age people turning out on a Tuesday morning. Hopefully they'll a big section dedicated to interview suits.

Always one eejit who thinks everyone works 9-5, Monday-Friday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

unkel wrote: »
    This should have been anticipated by the owners and additional parking should have been in place by now. How planning permission for these major extensions was secured without more parking being a condition, is beyond me. I guess that still is planning in Ireland in 2016 for ya. Nothing learned.
    There are already traffic queues which are dangerously backing up onto the N4 for the existing shopspace - I expect the planners didn't want to encourage this. The real problem of course is the lack of public transport, including the Lucan LUAS, and can anyone explain why there are traffic lights on the Hermitage roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Was in LV myself today at lunch time. It was busy, but traffic flow was fine. Parking wasn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Was in LV myself today at lunch time. It was busy, but traffic flow was fine. Parking wasn't a problem.

Same here. Always park the M and S end and have never had any problems .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Same here. Always park the M and S end and have never had any problems .

get the train up to penneys :):D

Washout wrote: »
    get the train up to penneys :):D

Don't start me on that bloody train. How the hell that's allowed to run on health and safety I never know.

M&S is great for a family spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

jomalone14 wrote: »

O'toole the councillor posted on twitter if liffey valley had a luas they might of gotten it.

She forgot to mention that if her council had not made such a mess of fonthill road they might of gotten it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

O'toole the councillor posted on twitter if liffey valley had a luas they might of gotten it.

She forgot to mention that if her council had not made such a mess of fonthill road they might of gotten it also.

If they had of built Liffey valley where it was originally intended to go it would of had its own train station!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Fagashlil wrote: »
    If they had of built Liffey valley where it was originally intended to go it would of had its own train station!

Out of curiosity where was it suppose to go & why did it not go there ? thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Out of curiosity where was it suppose to go & why did it not go there ? thanks.

Was supposed to be built on the huge site off the outer ring road where clondalkin/fonthill train station lays dormant. And part of the reason for the bus corridors that whilst redundant, will still earn you a nice lecture if stopped, forget the fact there hasn't been a bus use them ever.

Not 100% sure why the site was changed, can only hazard a guess that someone got a backhander as the address could be re-zoned as quarryvale as opposed to clondalkin/fonthill. The usual LL shenanigans

Liam Lawlor turned Clondalkin, D22 into Lucan, Co. Dublin. Made the scumbag a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Liam Lawlor turned Clondalkin, D22 into Lucan, Co. Dublin. Made the scumbag a fortune.

Hmm, I normally don't believe in karma but it definitely struck him...he was killed in a car crash a few years later in Russia. Makes you question the value of money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

CJ1 wrote: »
    Anyone know is Penny's moving to Liffey Valley or when the Tesco is going to open there?

Tesco is getting built there as we speak, in between M&S and B&Q, on that waste land there.:D

• Advertisement

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Tesco is getting built there as we speak, in between M&S and B&Q, on that waste land there.:D

not sure if this is sarcasm nothing in any news outlets on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

I thought Tesco pulled out of the build at LV a year or so back citing a downturn in business? There seems to be work going on at that site though where it was originally supposed to go

Washout wrote: »
    not sure if this is sarcasm nothing in any news outlets on this
    No sarcasm here.

I pass this place daily and with the increased level of activity and huge landscaping exercise underway, I took it upon myself, (to satisfy my wife's nagging), to approach the construction company- Precision.

They duly informed me of the nature of their project and their customer- Tesco.

Seemingly they have come to an agreement with the planners regarding warehouse size and purpose.

If you pass it, as I do almost daily, you will see there is a massive project underway.

TBH, I personally, would have loved a Sainsburys or an ASDA.

Ms

No sarcasm here.

I pass this place daily and with the increased level of activity and huge landscaping exercise underway, I took it upon myself, (to satisfy my wife's nagging), to approach the construction company- Precision.

They duly informed me of the nature of their project and their customer- Tesco.

Seemingly they have come to an agreement with the planners regarding warehouse size and purpose.

If you pass it, as I do almost daily, you will see there is a massive project underway.

TBH, I personally, would have loved a Sainsburys or an ASDA.

I agree a Sainsburys or an Asda in Ireland would be great. I think Asda did try a decade or two back do just as Aldi and Lidl were also coming here and Asda ended up pulling out. A pity.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But there are already Tesco's in Ballyfermot, Lucan and Clondalkin.

Not to mention Lidl in Ballyfermot, Aldi in Palmerstown and both in Fonthill.

But there are already Tesco's in Ballyfermot, Lucan and Clondalkin.

Not to mention Lidl in Ballyfermot, Aldi in Palmerstown and both in Fonthill.

That's true. However Tesco in Lucan is the the most inaccessible supermarket in the country that I know of, hidden away at the back of a housing estate.
    Tesco in Ballyfermot is merely a convenience store due to it's size and is very limited in it's product range, with perhaps the scruffiest and rudest shopworkers in Ireland.
    Tesco Clondalkin is a nightmare to get in and out of during the evening and on Saturday, plus they charge for he car park, I believe.

I asked the construction company what was getting built on the site, and they told me it was a Tesco.

That's true. However Tesco in Lucan is the the most inaccessible supermarket in the country that I know of, hidden away at the back of a housing estate.
    Tesco in Ballyfermot is merely a convenience store due to it's size and is very limited in it's product range, with perhaps the scruffiest and rudest shopworkers in Ireland.
    Tesco Clondalkin is a nightmare to get in and out of during the evening and on Saturday, plus they charge for he car park, I believe.

I asked the construction company what was getting built on the site, and they told me it was a Tesco.

I thought Tesco pulled out of this because of decline in their business?

I thought Tesco pulled out of this because of decline in their business?

Clearly not the case. It would appear you have been misinformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

I think Tesco being shelved came from this thread from a few years back - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804588&page=4

Strange that there hasn't even been any mention in the local paper's though of the project going ahead. As a poster above pointed out about the close proximity of the other store's, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 3 ends up closing with staff moving to the new store

Strange that there hasn't even been any mention in the local paper's though of the project going ahead. As a poster above pointed out about the close proximity of the other store's, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 3 ends up closing with staff moving to the new store[/QUOTE]

Quite possible that Lucan and or Baller could relocate.
    5500 wrote: »
    I think Tesco being shelved came from this thread from a few years back - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804588&page=4

You are quite right, that is an old thread, 2012!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tescos recently opened a new store up in Swords so maybe they have will open a store in Liffey Valley although I read that in general they won't be opening Superstores and focusing on smaller sized stores.
    I also think it would make traffic management around the centre worse then it already is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's busy.enough. The next nearest big supermarket is the Supervalue beside the library and I try and avoid that due to the gridlock when it's busy.

Ms

I think its great that Tesco is building a store at Liffey Valley. It will be nice to see that wasteland actually used for something so its good that it is happening.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Clearly not the case. It would appear you have been misinformed.

So the construction work has started ? How will the traffic management work there, its a disaster at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Well it's official, I went by a few minutes ago and the entire road along the B&Q entrance has signs with 'tesco construction' on them.

I remember in the original proposal tesco wanted to put in a petrol station, I wonder if that's still going ahead?

anyone got a link to the proposed design..and if there are changes there must be planning permission docs avaialble

phasers wrote: »
    I remember in the original proposal tesco wanted to put in a petrol station, I wonder if that's still going ahead?

A petrol station, pfft that's so 20th century. Fast EV chargers is what we need :)

phasers wrote: »

A petrol station, pfft that's so 20th century. Fast EV chargers is what we need :)
    Why?

AMKC wrote: »
    I think its great that Tesco is building a store at Liffey Valley. It will be nice to see that wasteland actually used for something so its good that it is happening.

To be honest I would rather see more shops open there than a boring supermarket.
    Or even something for kids, bowling alley, indoor crazy golf etc.

• Advertisement
    Ms

To be honest I would rather see more shops open there than a boring supermarket.
    Or even something for kids, bowling alley, indoor crazy golf etc.

Yes a Leiserplex at Liffey Valley would be great. Its still good to see the land been used do instead of looking like a disused dump. Hopefully a Leiserplex will be built there somewhere next

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement