Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a new HP Desktop opinions on gaming?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Intel® Core™ i5-4460S Processor (2.9 GHz, 3.4 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache)
    Windows 8.1
    Hard drive: 2 TB 7200rpm
    Memory: 8 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT graphics card with 1 GB of dedicated memory (NVIDIA GeForce GT 705)
    Motherboard Intel Z87

What results can i expect with these specs at 720p? (720p only) can i run mafia 2 or assassins creed 2 or even battlefield 4 on high settings at 720p? What frame rate should i expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

That's a really really really low end graphics card in that machine. So low end it's not even available to buy if you're not an OEM. I wouldn't be expecting much, even at 720p.

Mafia 2 and Assassins Creed 2 are quite old however so you'll probably manage them, but I'd be surprised if it even ran BF4 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah not a great graphics card =/ http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+705&id=2952

You could always upgrade though if its not doing what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lol, dont know what they were at with that one. The APU is faster than the discrete card.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2952&cmp[]=2451

They'd have been better off making it a 12GB unit to give 10GB usable and 2GB for the APU if it needs it and forgetting the 705.

Might be worth disabling the card and using onboard assuming the mobo supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

so basically i will need to upgrade to a new graphics card any suggestions and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the form factor? Is there space for a normal size card or is it low profile?

PSU?

• Advertisement

"The processor integrates powerful Graphics called Intel HD Graphics 4600, with 20 Execution Units, initially clocked at 350MHz and that go up to 1100MHz, in Turbo Mode which share the L2 Cache and system RAM with the processor.
    Both the processor and integrated graphics have a rated board TDP of 65W.

Its performance is very good and sufficient for extreme gaming."

Got this off one of those benchmark sites. I don't get it can someone explain whether i've got the gt705 or the intel graphics hd 4600 because they say that the cpu is integrated with the hd 4600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You have both but the integrated is disabled when a dedicated card is installed.

Now I don't know what purpose the GT705 serves except to con customers, as it's slower than the integrated video and there's nothing it does feature wise that the HD4600 doesn't.

However to say that the H4600 is suitable for 'extreme gaming' is laughable. It gets through some games OK, but forget about Battlefield 4. I tried running BF4 online on my HD4600 out of curiosity, was barely able to get playable framerate at 800x600 lowest settings.

That GT705 won't play any of those games either (Mafia 2 maybe at low settings).

Best economical upgrade is the GTX750, you can play those games at 720p ultra settings then, it costs about €100 online.

You have both but the integrated is disabled when a dedicated card is installed.

Now I don't know what purpose the GT705 serves except to con customers, as it's slower than the integrated video and there's nothing it does feature wise that the HD4600 doesn't.

However to say that the H4600 is suitable for 'extreme gaming' is laughable. It gets through some games OK, but forget about Battlefield 4. I tried running BF4 online on my HD4600 out of curiosity, was barely able to get playable framerate at 800x600 lowest settings.

That GT705 won't play any of those games either (Mafia 2 maybe at low settings).

Best economical upgrade is the GTX750, you can play those games at 720p ultra settings then, it costs about €100 online.

was told by the guys in pc world that it uses the gt705 but if it needs more power it takes 3gb out of the 8gb to meet the standards of whatever settings youre running. So it then takes over to the integrated card if the gt705 cant powe it

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

was told by the guys in pc world that it uses the gt705 but if it needs more power it takes 3gb out of the 8gb to meet the standards of whatever settings youre running. So it then takes over to the integrated card if the gt705 cant powe it

If it runs out of vRAM (which is unlikely at 720p), it'll use system RAM, which is considerably slower.
    The problem isn't memory however. It's just that the GPU itself is weak. Low clock speed, low amount of shaders, low amount of everything.
    That card is just a waste of electricity in that machine.

Basically the PC World guys told you a load of fairy tales, none of which are grounded in reality. None of the above is true.

• Advertisement

Basically the PC World guys told you a load of fairy tales, none of which are grounded in reality. None of the above is true.

yea they'll tell you whatever ****e they can spew to get their commission,

so can I run something like assassins creed 2 on my pc? its the same as the gt610 and ive seen plenty of playthroughs on youtube with that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It will run assassins creed 2 as it's a 5 year old game, but dont expect it to run any modern games.

Pc world lied to you to get a sale.

Skatedude wrote: »
    It will run assassins creed 2 as it's a 5 year old game, but dont expect it to run any modern games.

Pc world lied to you to get a sale.

alright thanks man. would I be able to play at 1080p medium settings?

alright thanks man. would I be able to play at 1080p medium settings?

I would say closer to 720p/sub-720p and low settings. The GT705 is just not a gaming card. It is only designed for movie playback. It is literally the lowest end Nvidia video card you can possibly buy.

You'd be better off taking it out of the PC and using the Intel Integrated graphics for Assassins Creed 2, it will perform better. Or else as suggested just buy a proper graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I would say closer to 720p/sub-720p and low settings. The GT705 is just not a gaming card. It is only designed for movie playback. It is literally the lowest end Nvidia video card you can possibly buy.

You'd be better off taking it out of the PC and using the Intel Integrated graphics for Assassins Creed 2, it will perform better. Or else as suggested just buy a proper graphics card.

Yeah he's better of selling the gt705 and getting something like a 750ti.

That would be an excellent card for 720p gaming.

thierry14 wrote: »
    Yeah he's better of selling the gt705 and getting something like a 750ti.

That would be an excellent card for 720p gaming.

It's good at 1080p as well. For 720P gaming something like the 250X or GT740 is a good enough buy. Pixmania have the 250X for €68 which is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

It's good at 1080p as well. For 720P gaming something like the 250X or GT740 is a good enough buy. Pixmania have the 250X for €68 which is good value.

They would both do the job as well, 250x is a great deal.

thierry14 wrote: »
    They would both do the job as well, 250x is a great deal.

thanks lads ill have a look into it in the future. what graphics card could i get for 100 euro? would this price range be a 1080p card for gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

probably, but you will need to fine tune to get usable framerates,

• Advertisement

250x/GT740 (€75) can play at 1080p if you compromise a fair bit on other settings, but the GTX750(€100)will take 1080p decently and the GTX750Ti handles it very well (€130).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

Nvidia gtx 750 for around €108 with Hardwareverseand

http://www.hardwareversand.de/1024+MB/154868/ASUS+GTX750-PHOC-1GD5%2C+GeForce+GTX+750%2C+1GB+GDDR5.article

Good value for a card which is about 8 or 9 times faster than your current one!

Amazon are good for single card purchases, with free delivery, so you should be able to get a 2GB GTX750 for about €110.

Also check your case before you buy, is it a normal tower case or a slimline case? If it's slimline, you need to

1) Firstly, buy a low profile card and not a full size one
    2) check how much space is available between the pci-express slot and the case.

I have a slimline Acer PC here, and although it has a PCI-E lane the best card that fits is a GT740, as the GTX750 is too large and the space is really tight.

But worst case scenario, even a GT740 GDDR5 model is still an absolutely titanic upgrade over that GT705.

Advertisement