Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband in the City gone very slow

Options
  • 16-11-2014 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Anybody else getting very slow broadband the last few days and weeks from Eircom!! Not too mention the fact am in e/fIbre zone for months but still waiting to be connected to a cabinet !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Yep, it's extremely slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Yep, was ridiculously slow the week before last but has improved. I'm only a few months into an 18 month contract but would love to cancel it and go back to UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Brendão wrote: »
    Yep, was ridiculously slow the week before last but has improved. I'm only a few months into an 18 month contract but would love to cancel it and go back to UPC.

Have you got efibre? I was waiting ages for efibre in my area - Viewmount and then when it was ready the line was checked and I was told that the max speed I could get with efibre was 20 as I was at the end of the line. I think I'll have to switch to UPC but past experience with them has been dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

deisemum wrote: »
    Have you got efibre? I was waiting ages for efibre in my area - Viewmount and then when it was ready the line was checked and I was told that the max speed I could get with efibre was 20 as I was at the end of the line. I think I'll have to switch to UPC but past experience with them has been dreadful.

I'm in Earlscourt. I didn't know about all this stuff about being 'down the line' when I signed up. I signed as the sales rep told me it was definitely 85mb, which was considerably faster than my UPC (25mb) and of course I was paying €43 just for UPC broadband and eircom sounded much better value for TV + Broadband for €40 per month for 6 months, then €55 per month after that. We had awful trouble with guys coming and going to install the efibre and I'm constantly getting issues with buffering and websites loading slowly, some parts of the house doesn't pick up the wi-fi at all. Horrible experience with them.

Looking back I wish I had just kept my Sky TV and UPC Broadband and reduced my TV packages to save the money. Sky called me after I cancelled my account and offered me great deals to stay as a customer but it's too late now, I'm stuck in the eircom contract. :(:(

Edit: Just to say, I never ever had issues with UPC in terms of speeds or reception or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

UPC is some of the best broadband in Europe. Broadband over the phone line is generally far more volatile. Ancient copper phone cables can be awful.

Just make sure the problem is with Eircom by eliminating everything else that could cause a problem. Plug in the cable to eliminate wireless issues etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Brendão wrote: »
    I'm in Earlscourt. I didn't know about all this stuff about being 'down the line' when I signed up. I signed as the sales rep told me it was definitely 85mb, which was considerably faster than my UPC (25mb) and of course I was paying €43 just for UPC broadband and eircom sounded much better value for TV + Broadband for €40 per month for 6 months, then €55 per month after that. We had awful trouble with guys coming and going to install the efibre and I'm constantly getting issues with buffering and websites loading slowly, some parts of the house doesn't pick up the wi-fi at all. Horrible experience with them.

Looking back I wish I had just kept my Sky TV and UPC Broadband and reduced my TV packages to save the money. Sky called me after I cancelled my account and offered me great deals to stay as a customer but it's too late now, I'm stuck in the eircom contract. :(:(

Edit: Just to say, I never ever had issues with UPC in terms of speeds or reception or anything like that.

I know for a fact when you take TV with E Fibre there gos 20MB + from your download speed its said on there site.

But with UPC if you where with them you should have said eircom offered you a better deal and they would have bet it. I transferred my fathers old contact to where i live when it was up i called them and got 200MB, Phone, HD, All TV and sky sports for €40 a month not to bad at all ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Bloody brutal broadband speeds in last few days can't even browse the net half the time am using my mobile personal hotspot to connect to laptop. Unexceptable service from this crowd to be honest .

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

noticed thus myself, gone from 80mb to about 0.86!!! slower then dial up

tonight there seems to be an improvement so maybe its sorted, will monitor it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

deisemum wrote: »
    Efibre has been here for quite some time. Have had it on a line for over a year now. One of the cabinets seems to be in Farronshoneen lane so it might be measuring to that. With efibre, it is the distance to the cabinet (rather than the exchange) that matters and that dictates the possible bandwidth/speed.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

decies wrote: »
    Bloody brutal broadband speeds in last few days can't even browse the net half the time am using my mobile personal hotspot to connect to laptop. Unexceptable service from this crowd to be honest .
    Noticed a bit of a problem a few days ago with sites outside of Ireland really slowing down. It seemed to only occur at specific periods, (high television usage/evening time). Not sure if this was related to them faffing about with their Evision television stuff but it seems to be ok now. On a 70Mb/s sub (just efibre and no TV) and getting around 67Mb/s for most of the time.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement