Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratoath / Ashbourne

Options
  • 16-11-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Thinking about buying in Ratoath / Ashbourne.

How do people find these areas ? We have no car, do you think its ok to live in these areas with no car ?We are looking at getting one in the future.
    But for now we'd be looking at using the bus service to Dublin. How do people find the bus service? We where originally thinking about Navan / Johnstown, but decided it was too far. Do the buses stop on the south side ? I had read the stop at Wilton Place, but according to timetable they just have beresford place.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

A handful of buses in the morning go to Stephen's Green I think with one going all the way to UCD. Otherwise it's as far as Beresford Place.
    The bus frequency from Ashbourne to Dublin would be greater than in Ratoath but Ratoath as a place to live is nicer in my opinion as it still has a village community feel to it despite being the third largest town in Meath now.

Without a car in Ratoath, you would be restricted locally to just SuperValu and a couple of smaller shops for your weekly shop though. Ashbourne has Tesco, SuperValu, Dunnes, Lidl and Aldi. There's also more of a nightlife in Ashbourne though it's easy enough to get to Ashbourne from Ratoath by bus or taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Thanks for the reply. For some reason i hadn't even thought of a weekly shop ! Thanks for mentioning that, with every other aspect of a move this never came into my head ,this will have to be something to consider. My OH think he would ratoath than ashbourne, but all options would be considered. Thats great some buses go abit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Newuser2015

i know this is an old post, not sure if you are still looking to buy. i live in ratoath in somerville and it is a lovely estate, well maintained and lots of green area for the kids to play.
    i used to get the bus into the city but due to change in job i now drive. The bus service is good, there is a service to ashbourne and also a bus that goes through the blanchardstown centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

i know this is an old post, not sure if you are still looking to buy. i live in ratoath in somerville and it is a lovely estate, well maintained and lots of green area for the kids to play.
    i used to get the bus into the city but due to change in job i now drive. The bus service is good, there is a service to ashbourne and also a bus that goes through the blanchardstown centre.

That's gas, Ive been living in somerville for past 10 years and think it is one of the worst kept and poorly built estates in ratoath. And the less said about some of the residents the better! It's funny how opinions differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 decommuter771

Hi,

Was hoping for similar advice! Husband and I are thinking of moving to Ratoath/Ashbourne/Kilbride direction to be a little closer to family but still within commuting distance of Dublin.

Does anyone take the 105/103 bus from Ratoath into Busaras?
    Does it generally run to schedule i.e. get into town in 45/50 minutes?
    Is it reliable in the morning and evening?

Are there any private bus services running between Ratoath or Ashbourne and Dublin city centre?

Does anyone travel from Kilbride into the city centre? What's the best public transport option from there?

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

Thinking of buying in Ratoath. How old are the houses in the Clonkeen and Seagrave estates? It says BER of C3 on some houses for sale there but some adverts dont state a BER at all which is not a good sign!
    Is there much difference in oil compared to gas CH pricewise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

Hi all! Thinking of buying in Ratoath. How old are the houses in the Clonkeen and Seagrave estates? It says BER of C3 on some houses for sale there but some adverts dont state a BER at all which is not a good sign!
    Is there much difference in oil compared to gas CH pricewise? As in is oil or gas cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

lmf wrote: »
    Thinking of buying in Ratoath. How old are the houses in the Clonkeen and Seagrave estates? It says BER of C3 on some houses for sale there but some adverts dont state a BER at all which is not a good sign!
    Is there much difference in oil compared to gas CH pricewise?

As far as I am aware its a legal requirement to have a BER cert if you want to rent or sell a property so whilst it may not be advertised they will need to have one to close the sale.

I personally would choose GFCH over oil any day.

I don't know much about Ratoath I live in Ashbourne myself.

Advertisement