Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam timetable crossover

• 16-11-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I do both Religion and Applied Maths and I was looking at the exam time table and both the exams are on the same time for the Leaving Cert. Does this mean I have to drop a subject or...........?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

No, you don't have to drop one. If they are on at the same time in 2015 then arrangements will be made for you to sit one of them later in the day, after being supervised for a break.

On www.examinations.ie:

Subject Clashes
    The State Examinations Commission makes every effort to arrange the examination timetable in order to minimise the potential for subject clashes. Sometimes students enter for subjects that are timetabled for the same time and date. Arrangements can be made to allow time to sit both papers. Please contact Entries Section for further information. Telephone 090 6442704 / 6442702 / 6442706. E-mail: entries@examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Why did the SEC make 2 subjects clash at the same time? It seems you will will be the only one doing the 1 exam on your own while your mate are gone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Why did the SEC make 2 subjects clash at the same time? It seems you will will be the only one doing the 1 exam on your own while your mate are gone?

Yes that's what will happen. You will also be supervised during any break.
    They timetable the exam to have as few clashes as possible, based on exam entries.
    I have known of people having to sit three exams in a day, two of them on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

spurious wrote: »
    Yes that's what will happen. You will also be supervised during any break.
    They timetable the exam to have as few clashes as possible, based on exam entries.
    I have known of people having to sit three exams in a day, two of them on their own.

That's awful! Are you allowed leave the school at all or even go outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Where can you view the timetable for this year? I can't find it on examinations.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

onlinenerd wrote: »

Because they have to try and fit all of the exams into the timetable, so they timetable the least common subjects at the same time. They are usually minority subjects, so the chances of students taking the combination are extremely small. Only about 1200 students do Applied Maths, and a lot of them do it as an extra subject outside school. Similar numbers do Religion. I would say you could probably count on your fingers the number of students that are doing both.

Better than putting one of them on opposite say biology or geography where there are large numbers doing the subjects, creating more clashes.
    Beca19 wrote: »
    That's awful! Are you allowed leave the school at all or even go outside?

No, because you could meet someone who could tell you what is on the exam, have access to a phone/internet to find out what is on the paper. You will have a break which will be supervised.

It's not the end of the world, it's about 5 hours of your life.
    Shane15 wrote: »
    Where can you view the timetable for this year? I can't find it on examinations.ie

It's usually put up around the first week of December. However it doesn't vary much from year to year except for the start and end dates.

I know it's not the end of their life but I'd feel bad if that happened to any of my smoker friends... They'd go mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Beca19 wrote: »
    I know it's not the end of their life but I'd feel bad if that happened to any of my smoker friends... They'd go mental

Yeah you're right. Such violation of their human rights.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. Such violation of their human rights.

Why bother? Never said it was a violation just said it'd suck for them as they find it impossible to concentrate by the end of one exam, don't mind two. They also get extremely unpleasant to be around :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The supervision arrangements over the break are down to the exam superintendent and the school to arrange. They could be arranged in such a way that a desperate need for a smoke could be accommodated. (Superintendent could go with you to the smoking area and make sure you don't have any contact with anyone else while you're there.)

And one might argue that it doesn't matter if they're unpleasant to be around, since everyone else will be at home relaxing after their dinner by the time these guys are heading towards the end of the exam!

• Advertisement

Fair enough and that's a good point!

Advertisement