Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stale beer in the <local pub>

Options
  • 16-11-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Anyone notice how the beer on tap seems to have a stale taste in the <local pub>

I always noticed it at the side bars and I thought the reason is the taps aren't used as much.

But last night I got a Heineken at the front bar and it tasted stale.

anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Anyone notice how the beer on tap seems to have a stale taste in the <local pub>

I always noticed it at the side bars and I thought the reason is the taps aren't used as much.

But last night I got a Heineken at the front bar and it tasted stale.

anyone else notice this?

You get served stale beer but keep going back?

Id always send back a bad pint tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

I don't go there too much just every once and a while.

yes I probably should've said something when I got the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I don't go there too much just every once and a while.

yes I probably should've said something when I got the pint.

Yeah you probably should have. Should also give them a chance to replace the pint before you criticise them on a public forum.

If the pints were stale a 2nd time then you'd have just cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

empacher wrote: »
    Yeah you probably should have. Should also give them a chance to replace the pint before you criticise them on a public forum.

If the pints were stale a 2nd time then you'd have just cause.

funnily enough I got two pints last night and they both tasted a little stale not really bad but definitely not a nice Heineken taste.

The reason I didn't say anything is because I was out with my friends to have the Craic not start complain about service.

I put this up here so perhaps some who works there might see it and find out what the problem is.

I really don't think this thread is going to affect their business too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Id always send back a bad pint tbh

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

funnily enough I got two pints last night and they both tasted a little stale not really bad but definitely not a nice Heineken taste.

The reason I didn't say anything is because I was out with my friends to have the Craic not start complain about service.

I put this up here so perhaps some who works there might see it and find out what the problem is.

I really don't think this thread is going to affect their business too much.

You would have been complaining about the product, not the service. I get what you mean though. In Ireland, we tend to be pretty easy going. Complaining about service or a product in a shop, pub or restaurant doesn't seem to be in our DNA. Which I like more than I dislike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You would have been complaining about the product, not the service. I get what you mean though. In Ireland, we tend to be pretty easy going. Complaining about service or a product in a shop, pub or restaurant doesn't seem to be in our DNA. Which I like more than I dislike

We tend to be easy going until we get on the internet and then have no problem slating businesses. Fair enough if the pints were stale but its unfair to not give them the right to correct the problem at the point of service and then criticise them publicly which could affect trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

zarquon wrote: »
    We tend to be easy going until we get on the internet and then have no problem slating businesses. Fair enough if the pints were stale but its unfair to not give them the right to correct the problem at the point of service and then criticise them publicly which could affect trade.

That's kind of fair but he is saying it's happened a few times. I've noticed that in a few pubs in town. Rarely with Heineken though. It's usually the Carlsberg or Budweiser...maybe because they are the least sold in a lot of places, from the tap.

Maybe this forum is the wrong place for it anyways. Yelp or TripAdvisor may be better. Businesses tend to have greater visibility of those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Does Heineken not always taste stale?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

If you don't ask you'll never know.

I got a disgusting pint of Bulmers last night in the Roisin, flat...stale tasting... I brought it back to the barman and he gave me a pint bottle instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

As somebody who works in the pub trade I can say in general the bar people would l

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

heiniken tastes bitter

its one of the most poplular beers,i don't drink it

the colder the beer is the less you can taste it

never drink in a back bar or side bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

As somebody who works in the pub trade I can tell you that most publicans or decent bar staff would rather hear of any type of complaint than reading about them on public forums . The pub could be doing 99 things right and one wrong but all the public get to read about is the one wrong thing . A pub could be serving bad beer without even realising it as an odd dodgy keg arrives from brewery . I have no connection with <local pub>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Although I don't think OP posted to intentionally bring disrepute to a certain local bar I will remove the name just in case.

OP, if it happens again, just tell the bar staff or bar manager. In all the cases it has happened to me around the country (maybe 5/6 times ever) I was always given a fresh pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've actually always thought said pub doesn't pull amazing pints just out of how busy they are. I don't think there's a pub in Galway as busy during the week and the staff are always on the go. I like the atmosphere and the food is fantastic but I stick to bottles in there usually. Think people are being a bit harsh on OP as I don't think I've ever seen somebody return a pint in Galway even if they complained about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've always returned a drink if it seemed dodgy and there was never a problem getting a replacement.
    I've always replaced any drink sent back to me as well even though 90% of the time there would be nothing wrong with it. Often the customer would have had a different drink/feed of chips etc beforehand and the taste buds hadn't become accustomed. It's a lot less hassle to just change it and then check.
    Unless of course they have drank ¾ of it before they complain. That's a totally different story.
    Somebody from the snipped establishment used to post on here so he may have seen the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Think people are being a bit harsh on OP as I don't think I've ever seen somebody return a pint in Galway even if they complained about it.

I've seen Mr OBumble return one. He's quite a sensitive individual, and does things like scan the room when he enters a pub to see if any pints of his favoured beverage have been poured. And if suspicious he actively asks the bar-staff if they've poured any today - freshness can be an issue especially in pubs with long, unchilled lines between the cellar and the tap, and in side-rooms etc where the bar doesn't operate all day.

Good bar-staff understand why he's asking, answer honestly and pour some off if they answer's "no". Ones who should be employed elsewhere (yes, Galway has a few of these) either lie or look at him as though he's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've seen Mr OBumble return one. He's quite a sensitive individual, and does things like scan the room when he enters a pub to see if any pints of his favoured beverage have been poured. And if suspicious he actively asks the bar-staff if they've poured any today - freshness can be an issue especially in pubs with long, unchilled lines between the cellar and the tap, and in side-rooms etc where the bar doesn't operate all day.

Good bar-staff understand why he's asking, answer honestly and pour some off if they answer's "no". Ones who should be employed elsewhere (yes, Galway has a few of these) either lie or look at him as though he's crazy.

:eek: Are you my missus?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    :eek: Are you my missus?

Only if you're doing an incredibly good double act at pretending you don't use boards or like rugby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Only if you're doing an incredibly good double act at pretending you don't use boards or like rugby :D

Maybe I am... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thread took a sexy turn

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

For the record, I'd return a pint if there is a little chip on the top of the glass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sofa King wrote: »
    For the record, I'd return a pint if there is a little chip on the top of the glass.

Same here.. And ask that it's discarded. Got a cut lip once a few years back.. Not pretty..

As for stale/bad beer I'd have no hesitation returning it, if only for the fact that it would make for a bad impression on others should there be a problem with the line or keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, stale beer still has the same amount of alcohol in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Does Heineken not always taste stale?
    It's funny because you most often hear things like the above from people whose favourite beers tend to be flat and with a similar taste to stale commercial lagers anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

When Hooker was new but not very popular I used to order a pint and often notice it was skunky. I noticed in recent years now it's more popular it definitely seems fresher and lost that skunky taste. I was at a convenient pub last week (my local being further away) where craft brew is less popular and got that skunky taste there. Could have asked for another pint I suppose, but I just switched to bottles on the second round.

Advertisement