Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters

Options
  • 16-11-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So my story, the short version! Returning to running after a long layoff due to a mixture of injuries, laziness and no motivation. Starting a log in the hopes it will keep me motivated and honest.

The last year+ out from running means I have formed a very unhealthy relationship with the couch and crap TV aka I have become lazy as hell when it comes to exercise. So time to get off my ass and get back out there. I know I will hate the first few weeks back as I huff and puff around the routes with a big red face on me. All I can say there is thank god for dark nights and nobody can see that :-). But I know that eventually it will click and I can't wait to get that feeling back. Just have to be patient...

As for targets, nothing lofty or unrealistic. I have my eye on a 5km over Christmas and a 10km in March. Hoping then to continue onto a half in May/June time-frame. It will be slow and ugly but I have to start back somewhere!

I will follow Hal's 10km novice which is a 3 day week to start with and then look at a half plan for Spring. But as my log title says, I need to be flexible and just enjoy getting back out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good luck, and love the title :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BeerTrixPotter

Monday Nov 17th

Well time to get back in the saddle...literally speaking! Headed to a Spinning class to kick off the return to fitness! Ouch

Tuesday Nov 18th

Time for the running plan to kick off and get my ass out the door. Naturally Garmin and iPod were out of juice and covered with layers of dust so they were no use to me. The route distances are still engraved into my brain so the iPhone stopwatch was the next best thing.

2.5 miles on the plan and I took it nice and handy. Surprisingly I really enjoyed the run and the huffing and puffing wasn't quite as bad as expected. Still there but I wasn't frightening the dogs I passed as much as I thought!

Distance: 2.52 miles
    Avg Pace: 10:25 (told you it was nice n' handy)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BeerTrixPotter

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Good luck, and love the title :-)

Cheers for the encouragement. Off to read your new log now :-)

Advertisement