Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof walking shoes (runners)

Options
  • 16-11-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

First things first, ill lay my cards on the table.

I am not an active mountaineer, nor envisage myself doing so. However saying that i often walk around the Dublin mountains with my two dogs.

This is what brings me here. Im sick to the core of having wet feet when i do venture off the concrete pavements and thats im looking to buy some decent waterproof shoes (runners)

Today has been very frustrating, ive been to 53 degrees north, The Great outdoors and that overly annoying snow and rock in Dundrum shopping centre, but im afraid they had nothing in my size. Although the great outdoors where fantastic help in advise.

I was looking to get something like the Columbia peakfreak enduro runners, or something of similar design.

1747-Columbia-Men-s-PEAKFREAK-ENDURO-Outdry-Running-Sneakers-1.jpg

North face do runner style ones as well. But thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Its looking like im going to have to buy something online, which, when coming to footwear im not a big fan of doing.

Would anybody here be able to advise me on other similar style hiking shoes that i should be looking at? any help would be fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not the answer you're looking for but if you're going off track at all you're better off getting a pair of boots.
    €150 on a pair of boots and €15-€20 on good, woollen socks and you won't know yourself and you'll have them for years.

The shoes you've posted above have caused more twisted ankles...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

If you are only walking your dogs, then I suggest a pair of wellington boots.

I walk up the mountains a lot too, with my kids, I have a plastic container in the boot with the wellies. Change into them on arrival, swap out for trip home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Ranjo wrote: »
    If you are only walking your dogs, then I suggest a pair of wellington boots.

I walk up the mountains a lot too, with my kids, I have a plastic container in the boot with the wellies. Change into them on arrival, swap out for trip home.

The wellies wouldnt be the best option for walking around the local parks and fields though. Same goes for boots, thats why i think the runner style ones would be the better option.

But thanks for the replies none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Ecco do a fairly good range of waterproof gore-tex lined runners/walking shoes.

Ecco do a fairly good range of waterproof gore-tex lined runners/walking shoes.

i didnt know that, thanks for the info.

Would Gore tex be worth the extra few bob? I know gore tex is the rolls royce of breathable/waterproof material, so im guessing they are.

• Advertisement

Have Adidas Kanadia for trail runs and Walshs for the open mountain stuff, and both allow water in and out. Waterproof not a big deal for many mountain runners, many work on the basis that water getting in is inevitable and what they want is a shoe that drains quickly so it's not trapped and sloshing around inside the shoe. Had Asics goretex trail runners before and they were pretty decent at keeping water out for longer, suspect if I walked in them and was careful about where I put my foot they may have stayed dry for most outings - in running you're just gonna end up eventually splashing through streams and puddles.

Here's a list of options on Sportshoes using waterproof as a search term...

http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/running/shoe/waterproof/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Another one to look for are Nike ACG. Goretex in most models I think and made the same sizes as their normal trainers. The Nike outlet in Kildare Village always turned up a pair to suit when I needed new ones, but if you get a good fit from a normal Nike trainer, you can jump online and order whichever ACG model you like knowing they'll fit when they arrive.

Thanks for the advice lads.

I think Nike might be the best option seeing as I know my sizing with them. There's plenty to choose from the website conor put up.

Excellent advice lads, really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

i didnt know that, thanks for the info.

Would Gore tex be worth the extra few bob? I know gore tex is the rolls royce of breathable/waterproof material, so im guessing they are.

I think it's worth it. The last thing you want is hot and sweaty feet when you're out walking. :) I've a pair of leather gore-tex lined boots from Ecco and they've lasted years, so you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

try The North Face in the kildare outlet, i picked up a pair of TNF runners in there for about 50 eur , and goretex

you might get lucky on last seasons models and get a bargain

however in the longer grass i prefer my Berghaus goretex hiking boots

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice lads. I bought a pair of saucony from the sports shoes website.

I totally forgot about Kildare village to be honest. And it certainly wouldn't have been as annoying as visiting that good awful Dundrum shopping centre earlier. But im happy enough with the ones I bought.

Gore tex and all for well under 100 Euro. You can't ask for more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hard luck. The Columbia would have been significantly better than Goretex. The outdry is a much better technology than Goretex. I can vouch for this through thousands of miles of experience of different types of trail running shoes.

Enduro wrote: »
    Hard luck. The Columbia would have been significantly better than Goretex. The outdry is a much better technology than Goretex. I can vouch for this through thousands of miles of experience of different types of trail running shoes.

For walking the dog (and a hell of a lot else besides) Goretex is plenty good enough. I can vouch for this because I'm also a legend in my own underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The wellies wouldnt be the best option for walking around the local parks and fields though. Same goes for boots, thats why i think the runner style ones would be the better option.

I suppose you could be mistaken for a farmer :) But you can get fancy wellies you know, the sort that no self respecting son of the soil would be seen in!

Personally I don't think you can beat wellies for short walks through wet ground.

For walking the dog (and a hell of a lot else besides) Goretex is plenty good enough. I can vouch for this because I'm also a legend in my own underpants.

It's good enough... but not as good, and more expensive to boot. Congrats on the legendary underpants :)

Enduro wrote: »
    It's good enough... but not as good, and more expensive to boot. Congrats on the legendary underpants :)

I left out my smiley. So to save anyone else misinterpreting my reply when they read this in 2036 in the waybackmachine, you Sir, are a legend. There are pieces of gorse that spontaneously combust out of pure delight at the prospect of spotting your Columbia trainers as you whirlwind through the purple hills of south Dublin on an autumn day. You could probably run up and down Three Rock just as quick as I could order a pint in the Blue Light or Fentons....

;)

I left out my smiley. So to save anyone else misinterpreting my reply when they read this in 2036 in the waybackmachine, you Sir, are a legend. There are pieces of gorse that spontaneously combust out of pure delight at the prospect of spotting your Columbia trainers as you whirlwind through the purple hills of south Dublin on an autumn day. You could probably run up and down Three Rock just as quick as I could order a pint in the Blue Light or Fentons....

;)

Well you made me LOL with that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 0yster

I've owned 3 pairs of Meindl Island Pro boots in 20 years, leather hiking boots with gore-text lining. A great boot, though expensive at c. €250. However the last two pairs I wore through the gore-tex lining on the inside and then they're no longer waterproof, no matter how much you wax them or whatever. So I'm no longer willing to shell out that sort of money for a boot that only last a couple of years. Also, they goddamn heavy!

Then tried a pair of Salomon hiking boots, lighter, but still expensive. Both boots leaked from the get-go. Brought them back to the Great Outdoors where I had a very bad customer service experience and will never buy anything from them again, but did eventually get my money back. I have also owned many pair of trail running shoes, waterproof and not.

For what it's worth:
    - leather+gore-tex - great but expensive, should last years but doesn't seem to anymore. easy to clean off mud, bog
    - synthetic + gore-tex (boot) - pretty good, hard to clean, lighter on the feet
    - syn + gore-tex (shoe) - lighter makes them much better for hiking, but if you sink more than ankle deep you're wet
    - wellies - cheap, solid, reliable, warm

For now, I have no boots 'cos I can't decide what way to go. 200+ for a pair of hiking boots that don't last? No. 100+ for trail shoes - get a season or two, but no use on boggy ground. No. Wellies - that'll do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

http://www.lundhags.se
    These are not cheap but worth looking at if you want a boot that lasts. Mine are now 15 years old and have walked miles on the hills. They have also ridden miles on horseback . Are about to go back to their birth place to be resoled.
    Beautiful soft leather and lighter than you would expect. Goose Grease is my chosen waterproofing which has kept them alive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enduro knows his runners. Advice worth heeding.

I'm bought nearly every type of runner under the sun over the years. Personally I wouldn't go for a waterproof runner as they are inclined to hold the water in if you go into a deeper puddle. I'd prefer to use runners that will allow water out as quick as it will let water in. I've a few favorite runners at the moment - from adidas kanadia, to asics trail runners and trusty inov8s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Don't buy wellies in my opinion , I agree with a previous poster , buy decent boots , 8 years ago I bought a pair of asolo boots for 180 euros and twice a day I Walk my dogs off in long grass and over rocky ground, I also do the od bit of mountain walking . That to me is fantastic value for money .

Tomorrow I go into town to pick up my new zamberlan boots at 200 euro . Whhoooo hooooo

It's od, I feel so attached to my old boots . I can't bring myself to chuck them out, I've glued them up .

But going back to op question, I love the ankle support boots bring and they don't have to by heavy . My new boots are a lot lighter than my old ones .

I wore thick socks in my boots at start but after a while I wore just normal socks and they were good.

Advertisement