Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advertised price

Options
  • 16-11-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Quick question guys if a shop had a deal instore but still has it advertised in store with no expiry date can they say no when you go purchase this item..I was of the belief the store has to sell them items at the price advertised

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

They dont have to sell it to you at a displayed price. Thats an 'invitation to treat'. The sale is only completed if you offer an amount and they accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

eamo22 wrote: »
    Quick question guys if a shop had a deal instore but still has it advertised in store with no expiry date can they say no when you go purchase this item..I was of the belief the store has to sell them items at the price advertised

No they don't - in fact they don't have to sell it to you at all unless the reason is due to race or religion.

They could be committing an offence under retail display guidelines but thats different altogether.

Chances are a sign was inadvertently left on display. But no the store does not have to sell at any marked price - though in normal trading this is whatis expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eamo22 wrote: »
    I was of the belief the store has to sell them items at the price advertised
    It takes little thought to see why this is incorrect.

If this was the case scumbags would have their mates go into a car dealership in a balaclava and stick a €10 sign on a BMW and then go in and demand it at that price.

For that reason it is not law, and rightly so.

In a less extreme example people could easily take labels off shelves in supermarkets and put them up at a later date.

If you think its genuinely misleading you can complain, several supermarkets have been fined for it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Sound lads for the replys...hot headed friend at work reckoned they could and was right..oh well till the next argument ha ha..cheers again

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ask here first next time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

I definitely will ha

Advertisement