Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about applying for a firearms license.

Options
  • 16-11-2014 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Few questions which would help me clarifying some things, (trying to get a license for an air rifle)

Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Is it compulsary to answer? If so what do I need as proof if I've never done a training course or such.

Section 3.1 - Firearm Details: How do I answer this if I have no weapon bought? Do I need to buy the weapon first then apply for the license?

Section 5.1 - Wildlife Act Requirements: Is the attachment of the "relevant license" needed? I checked the How to Apply for a Firearms License link in the announcement and it says just tick the box.

When it says to do something on a separate sheet, do I need to type it out or will they just accept something written down?

For reasoning for the weapon, it's pretty much just to keep the rats away in our own 2 acre property, is that valid reasoning and does it have to be a huge paragraph?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Garrity

Also any other tips throughout the process is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Garrity wrote: »
    Few questions which would help me clarifying some things, (trying to get a license for an air rifle)

Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Is it compulsary to answer? If so what do I need as proof if I've never done a training course or such.
    Yes. If you've owned a firearm before, that constitutes proof of competence; any other approach like training courses, there's no set standard so you have to ask your super what he will accept first.
    Section 3.1 - Firearm Details: How do I answer this if I have no weapon bought? Do I need to buy the weapon first then apply for the license?
    (a) It's not a weapon. A weapon is something you have already used to harm another human. It's a firearm you're looking for.
    (b) You buy the air rifle first, the dealer holds it in escrow and gives you the serial number, you obtain the licence and then you collect the rifle and pay the balance of the cost then.
    Section 5.1 - Wildlife Act Requirements: Is the attachment of the "relevant license" needed? I checked the How to Apply for a Firearms License link in the announcement and it says just tick the box.
    Not for vermin, that applies for game shooting of deer and so forth.
    When it says to do something on a separate sheet, do I need to type it out or will they just accept something written down?
    Either, so long as your writing is legible.
    For reasoning for the weapon, it's pretty much just to keep the rats away in our own 2 acre property, is that valid reasoning and does it have to be a huge paragraph?
    No, that's usually good enough.

Also, see the large red sticky announcement at the top of all the shooting forums:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=466

Advertisement