Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus with double buggy?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's experiences are with Dublin bus & buggies?

I have had a c section, and cannot drive for 6 weeks! So to keep from going mad Id love to use the bus service right near my house to travel to Dublin the odd day.

I have a Phil & Teds double buggy and am concerned about getting it on to the bus after a section. Also wondering will I be allowed keep the buggy upright for the journey? With an exhuberant 2 yr old and a newborn Id prefer to keep them both buckled in!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Just wondering what people's experiences are with Dublin bus & buggies?

I have had a c section, and cannot drive for 6 weeks! So to keep from going mad Id love to use the bus service right near my house to travel to Dublin the odd day.

I have a Phil & Teds double buggy and am concerned about getting it on to the bus after a section. Also wondering will I be allowed keep the buggy upright for the journey? With an exhuberant 2 yr old and a newborn Id prefer to keep them both buckled in!!

I've used mine a few times no issues, but it wasn't peak time and no one else needed the space. I think the rule is that if a wheelchair user got on you would be expected to fold up the buggy which you can't obviously so I was prepared to get off if needed. Other than than that it's not an overly large buggy so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have used mine too with no issue and if it is a wheel chair bus they can lower the step for you. I would not attempt it during rush hour but should be fine otherwise,I used to bring a sling too just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

With a Phil & Teds you should be fine, I know the Bugaboo Donkey cannot fit on the bus.

There's no rule that you have to fold the buggy for a wheelchair... the driver can ask but you don't have to. (And before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying it's right but it's the rule)

So as long as you're on first you're ok (or you can get off or fold it if a wheelchair user does need it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Sorry but my experience has been the opposite.

I am on a busy route from north side of Dublin. Also had c section and felt bad keeping 2 year old in the house all the time.
    A couple of times 5 or 6 buses have gone by, and didn't even stop or acknowledge me because i had a buggy, presumably as they already had one on board.
    When I eventually got on, several drivers just drive of before you even position buggy, put on breaks etc... So you have to have full strength and often lift it in to place.
    I have asked drivers to lower the wheel chair ramp for getting off , as they didn't do it but it was often 'broken'.
    I know a lady who decided like you to go in with new born and 2 year old, and ended up ringing her sister in tears as she couldn't get a bus home from town to finglas at 4.00.

Sorry I am not trying to scare you, but after a section you really need to take it easy, and lifting a double buggy could certainly tear stitches internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I'll certainly take all your experiences on 'board' ;)

I hadn't thought of disembarking if a wheelchair user gets on, that would certainly be an option as several buses serve my route later on in the journey. I'll also look into getting a sling!

Was hoping to do a mid morning trip during the week, so it wouldn't be too busy. To rosebush, all those things you've said is what I'm worried about; stitche being damaged due to ramp not being lowered, getting stranded etc! Think I'll do a trial run with my husband soon and see how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

January wrote: »

There's no rule that you have to fold the buggy for a wheelchair... the driver can ask but you don't have to. (And before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying it's right but it's the rule)

So as long as you're on first you're ok (or you can get off or fold it if a wheelchair user does need it).

Interestingly, just last week I came across a long-running case on this issue that has now gone as far as the UK Court of Appeal.
    A woman’s refusal to move a pushchair with a sleeping baby from a bay on a bus used by wheelchair passengers – causing a disabled man to have to leave the vehicle – is at the centre of a test-case legal battle in the court of appeal.

Three appeal judges are being asked by a bus operator to decide whether wheelchair passengers should have priority over all other passengers to use the space as a matter of law.

The judges heard that First Bus Group had a policy of “requesting but not requiring” non-disabled travellers, including those with babies and pushchairs, to vacate the space if it was needed by a wheelchair user.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There is no six week rule against driving after a c section, unless there is a medical reason for your doctor to advise against it. I asked about this second time and was told it is a myth-there is no 'medical rule' or insurance rule about it whatsoever. I was told to drive when I felt confident to do so. I did a trial run with my husband after three weeks and drove myself after three and a half weeks. Once you are able to do an emergency stop with the brake you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

With a Phil & Teds you should be fine, I know the Bugaboo Donkey cannot fit on the bus.

From http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/your-journey1/How-to-use-the-bus/Step-3/
    Every accessible bus has one priority space for a wheelchair user, which may also be used for a baby buggy. Only one wheelchair or buggy may occupy this space at any time.

Wheelchair users have priority over everyone else for use of the wheelchair space, since this is the only place in which thy can travel safely.

For safety reasons customers using wheelchairs must reverse into the allocated space and face the rear of the bus. Wheelchair brakes should then be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

RainyDay wrote: »

Actually that's not 100% correct .

Several years ago a young lady with a buggy was asked to fold her buggy on a dublin bus to allow a wheelchair user to board ,
    Completely horrified at the experience they young lady took dublin bus to court and won her case .
    A person pushing a buggy suffers from reduced mobility and is just as entitled to the space and somebody in a wheelchair .
    It's basically a case of first come first served , yes the driver can request you fold down a buggy but are they under no obligation to do so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

lazygal wrote: »
    There is no six week rule against driving after a c section, unless there is a medical reason for your doctor to advise against it. I asked about this second time and was told it is a myth-there is no 'medical rule' or insurance rule about it whatsoever. I was told to drive when I felt confident to do so. I did a trial run with my husband after three weeks and drove myself after three and a half weeks. Once you are able to do an emergency stop with the brake you're good to go.

When I worked in insurance you were required to get clearance from a doctor if you wanted to drive before the 6 weeks were up. Now, this could have been this particular insurance company but if you were in an accident and didn't have this clearance you were buggered basically.

• Advertisement

When I worked in insurance you were required to get clearance from a doctor if you wanted to drive before the 6 weeks were up. Now, this could have been this particular insurance company but if you were in an accident and didn't have this clearance you were buggered basically.

I have checked, as have other women I know who had sections, and not one insurance company said there was any such rule for c sections or any other abdominal surgery, for that matter. My doctor said it is one of the myths that is trotted out for women but there is no medical reason why one can't drive when one feels up to it. If the medical advice was not to drive for six weeks, I would have followed it, or if the insurance would have been void, I wouldn't have driven. But as neither were in any way an impediment to my driving, I drove when I was ready.
    TL/DR check before putting yourself under six week house arrest.

Gatling wrote: »

Several years ago a young lady with a buggy was asked to fold her buggy on a dublin bus to allow a wheelchair user to board ,
    Completely horrified at the experience they young lady took dublin bus to court and won her case .
    A person pushing a buggy suffers from reduced mobility and is just as entitled to the space and somebody in a wheelchair .
    It's basically a case of first come first served , yes the driver can request you fold down a buggy but are they under no obligation to do so .

Do you have a link to this case? I'm skeptical that a court would rule that someone pushing a buggy is the same as someone in a wheelchair. I had a quick look on Google and nothing came up.

Do you have a link to this case? I'm skeptical that a court would rule that someone pushing a buggy is the same as someone in a wheelchair. I had a quick look on Google and nothing came up.

It's covered by an interpation of the equal status act of 2000.

This is a copy of a post from 2 years back from

The Space meets the requirements of the ESA 2000,in that it can accomodate a Wheelchair bound person (Note that it is Wheelchair specific,and does NOT include "Scooter Type" mobility aids).

The company,having provided the required wheelchair specific space,the means of access to it (ramp),and the trained Driver has therefore met its legal obligations.

The Company (Driver) has no Legal Right to reserve or otherwise interfere with a person with an occupied buggy who has prior possession of the space.

An unfolded/unoccupied buggy is a different case,and a Driver can demand that it be folded and stowed.

This can also be problematic,if a person removes a child from the buggy en-route,and leaves the empty buggy in the space.

The Driver may be totally oblivious to the altered situation and requests subsequent Buggy users to fold and stow,a request not always well recieved...cue a selection of barbed pleasanteries when Buggy Pusher 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

A friend of mine had a c section 5 yrs ago and her insurance company had this rule unless she got a medical note clearing her. Obviously don't remember the company as so long ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Medical_Issues/Sl%C3%A1inte_agus_Tiom%C3%A1int_Medical_Fitness_to_Drive_Guidelines.pdf
    Most insurance companies will need to be notified though.
    It is the same in the UK no legal obligation not to drive but you may need to inform your insurance company.

Which bit of "Wheelchair users have priority over everyone else for use of the wheelchair space" are you have trouble understanding?

The Space meets the requirements of the ESA 2000,in that it can accomodate a Wheelchair bound person (Note that it is Wheelchair specific,and does NOT include "Scooter Type" mobility aids).

The company,having provided the required wheelchair specific space,the means of access to it (ramp),and the trained Driver has therefore met its legal obligations.

The Company (Driver) has no Legal Right to reserve or otherwise interfere with a person with an occupied buggy who has prior possession of the space.

An unfolded/unoccupied buggy is a different case,and a Driver can demand that it be folded and stowed.

This can also be problematic,if a person removes a child from the buggy en-route,and leaves the empty buggy in the space.

The Driver may be totally oblivious to the altered situation and requests subsequent Buggy users to fold and stow,a request not always well recieved...cue a selection of barbed pleasanteries when Buggy Pusher 
    Could you provide a link to the post, or better still, a link to the Equality Tribunal ruling?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Medical_Issues/Sl%C3%A1inte_agus_Tiom%C3%A1int_Medical_Fitness_to_Drive_Guidelines.pdf
    Most insurance companies will need to be notified though.
    It is the same in the UK no legal obligation not to drive but you may need to inform your insurance company.

All that refers to are general guidelines from medical practitioners in regard to post section driving. I checked with my insurer, who told me they don't know why women post section are under the impression there is a 'rule' about six weeks, and that once a doctor had issued advice, the woman was to follow it. There was no need to send in written confirmation or anything of that nature. Before I was discharged, I asked about driving, consultant advised to wait until I was ready, which I did, and then I drove. No big deal.
    I don't think women should be under the illusion that there is a six week rule set in stone because they have had a section. I know women who had vaginal stiches who had a far longer recovery than I did, and there's no 'rule' about driving bandied about for them. First time around I just followed that 'rule', but second time I knew better and did my research rather than just believing in the 'rule' that isn't actually a rule at all, according to the professionals I dealt with.

Which bit of "Wheelchair users have priority over everyone else for use of the wheelchair space" are you have trouble understanding?

Could you provide a link to the post, or better still, a link to the Equality Tribunal ruling?

+1. This could easily just be someone's interpretation of the scenario presented, not the actual ruling.

Hmmm, about the 6 week rule. The last time I had a section I asked my insurance company whether it was true. They didn't give me a yes or no answer, they just said whatever advice doctor gave to follow. However, when being discharged this time my consultant was very clear about not driving for six weeks....am seeing my GP soon for a check, I'll clarify with him!!

Ok I've just checked this and its just a boards post, not a legal ruling. I see no actual ruling in a google search. What case, exactly, resulted in a ruling that a buggy doesn't have to be folded if the space is required by a wheelchair user?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, about the 6 week rule. The last time I had a section I asked my insurance company whether it was true. They didn't give me a yes or no answer, they just said whatever advice doctor gave to follow. However, when being discharged this time my consultant was very clear about not driving for six weeks....am seeing my GP soon for a check, I'll clarify with him!!

My consultant said my recovery was excellent, I was very mobile and didn't need pain relief on discharge, and said to wait a week or two and see how I went. GP said at the two week check to take it easy but if I felt up to it to drive with someone else on a short spin, and take it from there. Insurance said to follow medical advice, which I did, and didn't need to hear anything more from me. I was confident after three/three and a half weeks to drive.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It would be best to clear it with your doctor and insurance company. Because guaranteed if you have an accident and haven't specifically cleared it your insurance company will be only too happy to use it as a loophole!

How long is it since your section? Even though you might be feeling up to it, remember you have 5 layers of stitches to heal. So dragging a 2 year old, a new born and a double buggy on and off buses and in around the city centre mightn't be the cleverest of ideas!

Is there any local shopping centres that might be a slightly easier trip? It's only a few weeks. Better to be cautious.

Ok I've just checked this and its just a boards post, not a legal ruling. I see no actual ruling in a google search. What case, exactly, resulted in a ruling that a buggy doesn't have to be folded if the space is required by a wheelchair user?

It's only a courtesy for a driver a parent with a buggy to fold there buggy to allow a wheelchair on .
    Wheelchair users has zero priority on a bus it's first come first served .
    The legal argument comes under the equal status act of 2000 .
    there's no byelaws no nothing that gives wheelchair users priority over a person with a child in a buggy .
    I've witnessed plenty of times where a friend in a wheelchair wasn't able to board a bus because the person sitting with a buggy refused the drivers request to fold there buggy .

Hey lazy gal I was the same both times regarding pain relief.

Big bag of chips it will be two weeks in a couple of days. There is a shopping centre enroute to the city centre, that might be the best option. The more I think about it the more I go off the idea of town! Too many variables in there, plus according to Dublin bus my journey into town will take an hour! It's been so long since I've taken a bus. Plus I'm the kind of person who will encounter a wheelchair user at every stop...that's the kind of luck I usually have!

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Ah Jaysus!!! 2 weeks??! Give yourself a chance!!!

I know after my section once I hit the 2 week mark I felt like I was grand.. But really you are better off allowing yourself the time to recover.

It's only a courtesy for a driver a parent with a buggy to fold there buggy to allow a wheelchair on .
    Wheelchair users has zero priority on a bus it's first come first served .
    The legal argument comes under the equal status act of 2000 .
    there's no byelaws no nothing that gives wheelchair users priority over a person with a child in a buggy .
    I've witnessed plenty of times where a friend in a wheelchair wasn't able to board a bus because the person sitting with a buggy refused the drivers request to fold there buggy .

You said there was a case/ruling. Is that true? Or is it the supposition of the post to which you referred? Courtesy is not the same as law. There can be legal arguments for all sorts of things-but that doesn't mean a thing unless there is a ruling.

ETA you said a young woman won a case on this. Can you link to the ruling itself?

You said there was a case/ruling. Is that true? Or is it the supposition of the post to which you referred? Courtesy is not the same as law. There can be legal arguments for all sorts of things-but that doesn't mean a thing unless there is a ruling.

ETA you said a young woman won a case on this. Can you link to the ruling itself?

Yes there was a case back over 10 years ago

When I get time I'll Google it

Yes there was a case back over 10 years ago
    If it was over 10 years ago, there were very few accessible buses around. It certainly predates the specific instructions from Dublin Bus that I linked to.

If it was over 10 years ago, there were very few accessible buses around. It certainly predates the specific instructions from Dublin Bus that I linked to.

Exactly. Guidelines from a case ten years ago might be irrelevant today. I gather almost all Dublin Buses in the fleet are now wheelchair accessible, and I cannot see, from a commonsense perspective at least, why an able bodied person with a buggy would be seen as the same as a wheelchair user.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Guidelines from a case ten years ago might be irrelevant today. I gather almost all Dublin Buses in the fleet are now wheelchair accessible, and I cannot see, from a commonsense perspective at least, why an able bodied person with a buggy would be seen as the same as a wheelchair user.

Because it's equal status , somebody in a wheelchair cannot be given priority over another user able bodied or pushing a buggy .

Advertisement