Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus with double buggy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

It's only happened me once that the lift was out of order in Blackrock, I phoned the station and the guy working there came over and between us we lifted the buggy up over the bridge to the other side. Certainly wouldn't be an option in the OPs case, right after a C section! So it's definitely something to consider.

One thing that's often crossed my mind since having a baby, is that you don't realise how tricky everyday things must be for those in wheelchairs! E.g. in my case above, there was only one guy working in the station - we could manage the buggy between the two of us, but if I'd been a wheelchair use and there was no one else around to lift the wheelchair over, we would have been stranded. I guess I'd have just had to wait an hour, get on the next train, and wheel myself back from the next station!

We don't realise how lucky we have it sometimes. :)

Yes I was wondering whether he would've refused to help me if I was in a wheelchair... I assume he would and surely Irish rail would be in all kinds of trouble if their stations are not accessible.

I even think most footpaths must be a nightmare for wheelchair users.. Cars parked on them and a lot of them have no low edge to get up and down.

Anyway back on topic, public transport with a newborn and double buggy when you're still recovering... I wouldn't attempt it on my own until I'd done a few trial runs with a helper!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sling. Get a sling, for all those people having trouble with buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not everybody like slings or maybe their back isnt able for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Yep I second a sling! You can get nice light ones, suitable for newborns and actually very discreet and handy for breastfeeding. That way you can take a smaller & lighter buggy for your two year old. Perhaps an option if you go into town in a few weeks even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That is horrific! What "able bodied person" would not move for these poor people? If I couldn't fold my double id get off and to let them on. It just wouldn't sit right with me to leave them waiting outside. What is happening too society these days!

I agree with you 100%, Any one with manners and a bit off respect would have no problem giving up their space. It's a busy busy busy society, it's a me me me society. Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

January wrote: »
    Sling. Get a sling, for all those people having trouble with buggies.

I hated slings. I bought one with my first and we both hated it. I got a loan of a different one and hated it too. Slings don't suit all babies and parents. We're a buggy family, so telling me to get a sling is not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I've been on the bus with my baby in a buggy when a wheelchair user got on - twice. The first time the driver knew I was getting off soon enough so asked me to move into the middle doorway and put the breaks on. It was only for a few stops though. Another time the wheelchair user went in sideways and I went in sideways as well with the buggy so we both fit in (it wasn't a double buggy though) - then we had a pleasant chat about babas for a little while :) Our handles stuck out a bit but everyone just took care going around us.

My mum's friend was on the bus one day with her grandchild taking her to the zoo. A guy in a wheelchair wanted to get on so the driver told her to fold down the buggy but she couldn't. She was the grandmother, not a parents and had no idea how to use the buggy. She was mortified. The bus driver let her stay where she was and had to leave the guy in the wheelchair behind. As they drove off he was furious and was giving my Mum's friend the finger! She told my mum this so she would learn how to put up and down the buggy :D

I think it depends on the driver what they'll do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I also second what lazygal said - slings do not work for everyone. I was all set to do it with my baba, did loads of research and bought a sling and he fecking hated it. Now that he is older and I can see what he is like I can see why - he's far too hyper to sit peacefully in a sling. I'm not sure whether I'll bother even trying it with the next one.

When I go on the bus with him now I take him on his trike, not in the buggy (I've done this since he was about 13 months) - that way if a wheelchair user gets on, you an easily move out of the way. Obviously wouldn't work with two babas but a great solution for just one, older baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I had 3 under 3 1/2 at one stage so a sling just wouldnt have worked.

Advertisement