Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Leap Card and DART question

• 16-11-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi folks. Recently started to use the student leap card. Up until now I've been using the 5 day student rambler on it and getting the bus. Getting the bus to Blackrock and then the train to Pearse Street station will save me lots of time. Can I get a rambler pass that will let me get the bus and then the train. Someone told me I need to get a different leap card? Any help woukd be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hi folks. Recently started to use the student leap card. Up until now I've been using the 5 day student rambler on it and getting the bus. Getting the bus to Blackrock and then the train to Pearse Street station will save me lots of time. Can I get a rambler pass that will let me get the bus and then the train. Someone told me I need to get a different leap card? Any help woukd be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

There is no need to get a second LEAP card. Any LEAP card can hold both an epurse (for pay-as-you-go) and up to five different ticket products.

But to answer your question, there is no combined bus/rail rambler. You can use the epurse and pay-as-you-go, which will be capped at €30 per week (Monday/Sunday).

There is a monthly Student Short Hop ticket that covers Dublin Bus and Irish Rail that is priced at €126 per calendar month.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

lxflyer wrote: »
    There is no need to get a second LEAP card. Any LEAP card can hold both an epurse (for pay-as-you-go) and up to five different ticket products.

But to answer your question, there is no combined bus/rail rambler. You can use the epurse and pay-as-you-go, which will be capped at €30 per week (Monday/Sunday).

There is a monthly Student Short Hop ticket that covers Dublin Bus and Irish Rail that is priced at €126 per calendar month.

Thanks very much for that. If I load money into my epurse and scan on how much does it deduct? As in what fare am I charged?

Thanks very much for that. If I load money into my epurse and scan on how much does it deduct? As in what fare am I charged?

Well you will have to put your card on the bus driver's machine ask him or her for whatever fare is appropriate for your journey. Normal adult fares apply, but there is a lower student cap (€30 vs €40).

On the DART just tag on and tag off.

The cap will apply automatically.

Well you will have to put your card on the bus driver's machine ask him or her for whatever fare is appropriate for your journey. Normal adult fares apply, but there is a lower student cap (€30 vs €40).

On the DART just tag on and tag off.

The cap will apply automatically.

Thanks. Am I right in thinking that if I have a student 5 day student rambler on my card (€20) and use €10 from my epurse I wont hit the cap. All the transactions must come from the epurse (ie €30 worth)? Just trying to work out is is it cheaper for me to use the epurse for all journeys from now on instead of getting the rambler and using the epurse for the train.

Thanks. Am I right in thinking that if I have a student 5 day student rambler on my card (€20) and use €10 from my epurse I wont hit the cap. All the transactions must come from the epurse (ie €30 worth)? Just trying to work out is is it cheaper for me to use the epurse for all journeys from now on instead of getting the rambler and using the epurse for the train.

Yes - the cap only applies to epurse transactions.

Check http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart for the rail fares

• Advertisement

Yes - the cap only applies to epurse transactions.

Check http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart for the rail fares

Thanks a million for all your help I really appreciate it. I worked it out and ten trips on the train equates to €20 (leap fare of €2 x 10) and ten trips on the bus equates to 19.50 (leap fare of €1.95 x 10) so it total i would be spending €39.50 which will cap out at €30 for the week and not charge me any more than that. If I put €30 into my epurse that should be ok then? Hell of a lot better than spending 25 quid for a five day rambler and then paying the 20 quid from my epurse for the train on top of it.

Advertisement