Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rough cost to extend over garage to add bedroom to 3 bed semi-d

Options
  • 16-11-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

Looking for very rough ball park figure to extend over a garage.

Garage already converted to an additional room to ground floor. We're in the process of purchasing the house.

It's a 3 bed semi and we would like to add a 4th bedroom.

Considering attic conversion but the roof is a hip roof as in the side of the house slops dowe like front and back of the house. It could be converted but we would probably need to change that side of the roof to Dutch hip roof or install a dormer window to the side to.allow space for a stairs to the attic. Have put the feelers out for a cost.

Second option is to extend over the exsisting converted garage, add a 4th bedroom allowing the house to be considered a 4 bed house but we've no idea of cost.

If anyone has had similar work done, would love to know cost.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

Looking for very rough ball park figure to extend over a garage.

Garage already converted to an additional room to ground floor. We're in the process of purchasing the house.

It's a 3 bed semi and we would like to add a 4th bedroom.

Considering attic conversion but the roof is a hip roof as in the side of the house slops dowe like front and back of the house. It could be converted but we would probably need to change that side of the roof to Dutch hip roof or install a dormer window to the side to.allow space for a stairs to the attic. Have put the feelers out for a cost.

Second option is to extend over the exsisting converted garage, add a 4th bedroom allowing the house to be considered a 4 bed house but we've no idea of cost.

If anyone has had similar work done, would love to know cost.

Thanks

What's the area of the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superstepmom2b

kceire wrote: »
    What's the area of the garage?

Garage is circa 3.73m x 2.5m that's the advertired dimension of the garage. It was already converted so we would be going up. House itself has a hip roof on that side so guessing that would need to be changed.

Just got quote for attic conversion with dormer or hip Dutch and it's circa 25k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Garage is circa 3.73m x 2.5m that's the advertired dimension of the garage. It was already converted so we would be going up. House itself has a hip roof on that side so guessing that would need to be changed.

Just got quote for attic conversion with dormer or hip Dutch and it's circa 25k

The attic quote seems about right depending on spec, but bearing in mind you need steel, stairs, fire door, alarm and detention expansion, fire rate the downstairs doors etc

In regards to the garage, aslong as the existing walls are adequately constructed to support an additional storey, that means they may want to expose the foundations to determine width and depth, then going up shouldn't be too demanding. Assuming a flat roof I think you could have it done for 15k ish

I would be inclined to do the garage side first as if you ever get the money in the future you could always extend the roof and do the attic then, gaining even more space.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This is basic stuff any arch/eng. a garage 1st floor extension idols need some structural considerations. Dig a hole at the outside wall of the garage, down to foundations and get a structural eng to inspect. Also advise him/ whoever designs the roof that you intend altering the existing attic space in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 superstepmom2b

Thanks guys really appreciate it. Imean definitely thinking it's the better optil then just converting the attic

15k only that's much less then I thought. If i proper roof was added I'm guessing overall I'd be looking at something closer to.40k

Appreciate all the advice. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement