Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5v relay

Options
  • 16-11-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Quick question, is there such a thing as a relay/contactor that would switch a 240 vac using a 5vdc signal to switch the contactor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Most important thing is when ordering get one with the correct contact rating for your application.

What exactly are you hoping to do.
    How big of a load are you switching, frequency of operation is another important one.

Sorry for the dumb questions but it will help us help you:D
    Did you try radionics.ie??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Quick question, is there such a thing as a relay/contactor that would switch a 240 vac using a 5vdc signal to switch the contactor?

Google MOSFET or IGBT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

crasy dash wrote: »
    Most important thing is when ordering get one with the correct contact rating for your application.

What exactly are you hoping to do.
    How big of a load are you switching, frequency of operation is another important one.

Sorry for the dumb questions but it will help us help you:D
    Did you try radionics.ie??

Not a dumb question at all, to be honest I havent checked radionics, it just for a little project i wanna try at home, to be able to remotely control my lights and heating from a phone app. basically like smart homes & climote/nest all rolled into 1 (Cheap) homemade system.

I'll have a look on radionics now, am i right in saying Id need a contact with a 5vdc coil & 240 contact? Im not sure what exactly to be looking for!

gctest50 wrote: »

sweet, thats the job. thanks man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Hate to be nosey but how will you be giving it the 5v dc is it through an alarm system just a bit curious myself now.

Keep us updated how you get on anyways and looking at the link its only rated at 8a in the terminals yoo have to solder direct on board for the 20a rating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You can pick up little relay boards designed for use with the arduino etc...

These have a relay capable of switching 220v and have a drive transistor for the coil, which takes 5v signal.

You pick these up for about €1-€2 on ebay

Thanks but Ive ordered some now,

A friend is writing an app that send the 5v signal over wifi, and hoping that will switch on my 220v circuit. For now itll only work when in the same wifi network, but my friend the rain man is doing something with a cloud server thatll make it possible to control from anywhere (im the electrician, he's the whiz kid). for now we are going to make a sample board that will control some basic circuits. Im also playing around with the thought of adding an audio system too, but one step at a time.

Advertisement