Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Hall, Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 16-11-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi I thinking fo renting a two bed apartment in custom hall with 1 parking space. 1400 per month - is this expensive for custom hall - what is this area like ? Is it safe to walk home from town at night ? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

whats the crime like there

whats the traffic going passed your window

dirt and noise

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

anybody know the custom hall area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the plus side...
    You are very close to city centre
    There's lot of supermarkets near by now (Supervalu, Tesco Express)

On the downside...
    That's a busy street which will have traffic 24/7
    The area would not be the safest at night, might be safer walking to it via Abbey Street then Gardiner Street rather than Talbot Street - but someone who knows the area well might have a better idea.

I would say, if you have a car, do you really need to be right in the city centre. For that budget you should be able to get an apartment in one of the 'near' Dublin suburbs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I lived in the area for a couple of years. It is fine during the day and while the shops/restaurants pubs are still open. Once they all start to close, it can get a bit dodgy. I wouldn't walk around late at night, unless I was with a group. The area does have a bit of a reputation, so even in broad daylight, be careful and cautious. Don't flash your phone, wallet etc etc.

Gardiner St & the general area is very busy all the time, so check what the sound proofing is like on the windows in the apt. I have no idea if 1400e is a good deal, as I've never been inside those apartments. Go on Daft.ie or MyHomeie. See what 2 bed apts are going for in Dublin 1 or the IFSC and it should give you an idea of what prices are like for the area. I paid 1150e for a 2 bed apt with a parking space, but that was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The apartments themselves are 90's sh1t. Dart holes, the only windows are on one side of the apartments so you have a dark bathroom and hallway and a dark pokey little kitchen in an alcove. The foley street apartments further towards Connolly are much nicer and more modern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Having lived happily in Custom Hall for 10yrs I'd be happy to give my opinion on the apartments.

- Noise from street: Gardiner Street itself can be noisy with traffic in the mornings, it is a main road. However other than that there's not much traffic on it at night to create noise. If you are in one of the apartments at the back of the building (overlooking the car park) it's much quieter.

- Noise (internal): sound-proofing is pretty good here, I only hear my neighbours tv/stereo etc if they are seriously taking the p/ss! And that has rarely happened.

- Safety: walking home at night is not a big issue. As a girl I do it a lot, either coming home from work after dark or cheaping out of a taxi after meeting friends. Just don't walk home waving your wallet around...cos that'd be stupid anywhere.

- Shops: as in supermarkets. Plenty to choose from. Tesco Express for "oh cr#p I've no milk", to Tesco Parnell St, Lidl Moore St and Aldi Parnell St for a big shop.

Someone mentioned pokey dark boxes as a description of Custom Hall. Not quite true. Depending on the particular apartment, a lot of 2-beds have two Windows in living area so its bright; corner apartments have windows either side of the room; and some also have skylights (extra light and ventilation). Not all "90`s sh/t.....".

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks very much for replies.

Is a 2 bed expensive for 1400 euro - anybody living there at present & if so what do you pay ? I don't see anything on daft on custom hall. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Lived here for years, think it is a great spot personally. We have a one bed top floor apt and so are lucky to have sky lights in every room. Don't think lighting would be an issue in a two bed, should be plenty of windows.

I have never had a problem with the build quality. I think they were built by Conways? Certainly no issues like some of the boom builds. Noise leakage from neighbours is low.

Im not sure of the ratio of owners to renters, may be different in each block but an uneducated guess would say 50:50. We may be lucky, but we have had no issues with neighbours for years. It is a fairly mature development with a few foreign families with young kids, some older people but id say the majority of people are mid 20s to late 30s.

Gardiner St is busy with traffic, but it quietens down after rush hour. Not all apartments look out on it. And street noise is part of living in the city centre tbh.

Caretaker is a good guy.

The area is north inner city dublin. So busy, sometimes noisy, but it has its own atmosphere and vibe. Not many D4 accents about. Gardiner St has lots of B&Bs so there are always tourists along with locals walking about. Plenty of shops and pubs on Talbot St so there are people knocking about when walking home at night. Place doesnt shut down at 5 o'clock or anything like it, the celt always sounds like it is hopping. Ive never felt particularly unsafe. You are close to/are on a main city street so its not like walking down quiet dark laneways like if you were on the other side of gardiner st towards the back of supervalue etc.

Could say the local area is going through some 'gentrification' with the likes of 147 deli on parnell st, then you have 101 talbot and le bon crubeen on talbot st as examples of fancier restaurants. Near to theatres, cinemas, luas, dublin bikes just outside the door to block 1. I think it is a brilliant location to be honest.

Cons, not a lot of green space but mountjoy square is just up the hill. North inner city might not be for everyone.

Can't give you an opinion on the price, seems about where they are these days.

Good luck with the rental search either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

€1400 seems a lot for Gardiner Street

Probably learning on the expensive side.

For a one bed with parking id be thinking around a grand if I was renting.

But today's rental market? Its not particularly cheap anywhere in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's not a 1 bedroom apt. It's a a 2 bedroom apt.

Yep, just giving a rough opinion of possible rent going by my own experience of having a mortgage on a 1 bed. Obviously would pay more on a 2.

Would factor in the position of the apt and if the bathroom/kitchen have been renovated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

For a 2 bedroom that is reasonable. Its good location logistically wise, the apartments are nice enough - I lived in the ones to the entrance of the school

Noise regarding traffic isn't as bad as you would think, particularly if you are working during the day and not there during the day

As for the area, fine during the day, night time just be very careful of your surroundings at all times. Its not particularly dangerous as such but ive seen many many phone snatchings over the years

harry999 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for replies.

Is a 2 bed expensive for 1400 euro - anybody living there at present & if so what do you pay ? I don't see anything on daft on custom hall. Thanks

It sounds expensive but all rents sound crazy now. I can see a couple of 1-beds here on Daft for €1100, so i'd have thought that make a 2-bed around €1350 at a guess.

Some people will say you should pay less for living in the 'dirty' north inner city, others (incl. landlords) think you pay more due to all the travel links at your doorstep. It's your call :-)

Thks for reply's - it's a 2 bed aprt - on the back of block 5.

harry999 wrote: »
    Thks for reply's - it's a 2 bed aprt - on the back of block 5.

Friends of mine lived in a 2-bed at the back of that block for a few years and were very happy. Its overlooking the car park so it is quiet, no street noise.

The only possible con would be - check is your main bedroom backing on to the lift shaft. And if so, try call the lift, go back into the bedroom and consider would u be happy hearing it that close at night. Would only need considering IF the bedroom is right next to the shaft - to me it is barely background noise.

Advertisement