Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC World Championship 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    Bit of a disappointment this one after the previous two matches :(

I take this back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

This is great, it's been a really top quality night of darts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on The Tap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

thats a killer with the last dart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Great game well done Bunting

Smith reminds me of van Gerwen of a few years ago, if he gets a bit of consistency in his game, everyone should worry.
    Super stuff from Bunting again, he's got to be a contender in this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Tasty quaters anderson should beat wright and mvg will beat thornton and taylor to play either bunting or rvb as i cant call it. thats my prediction for the quarters even tho i cant call one of the games. My heart says rvb but with buntings form and rvb's shaking of the head i think bunting will snatch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Turned into a decent contest but Smith was crap for 1st 3 sets, head didn't look in it at all. He had some huge outs but couldn't put it together for a couple of legs at a time. He done well to get back into it but Bunting threw some really good darts, I didn't think he had that kind of game in him but I think experience will tell a lot against Barney.

Taylor V Mvg/Anderson final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great stuff from Bunting, hopefully he'll have enough to beat Barneveld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

You don't understand why the man who has single handedly transformed the sport and has dominated perhaps like no sports star has dominated any sport gets great support? Because you think other people are nicer and this should be the main factor?
    He deserves support because of his sheer class on the dartboard, I'll concede that. However, chanting "Taylor wonderland" hundreds of times during one match leaves me wondering is the crowd really that inebriated that they don't realise they've been spouting the same handful of words for well over an hour.

Definitely second what's been said about Part. His commentary is top class. Always has intelligent input on what a player should take on to leave the best finish; and he's definitely one of the best counters. Mardle is a bit of a head-wrecker; I find he makes a lot of pointless comments in an attempt to build false hype and drama but overall we can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

How important is technique in throwing a dart? I suppose it goes without saying that Taylor's is probably thought of as the perfect style because he has dominated the game for so long. I think I am right in saying that he is left eye dominant throwing right handed. Is this element of cross dominance unusual or pretty standard for a darts player? Then you have a player like Adrian Lewis who just seems to **** the darts at the board without such a considered aim as Taylor but yet is capable of winning two world titles.

squadro wrote: »
    How important is technique in throwing a dart? I suppose it goes without saying that Taylor's is probably thought of as the perfect style because he has dominated the game for so long. I think I am right in saying that he is left eye dominant throwing right handed. Is this element of cross dominance unusual or pretty standard for a darts player? Then you have a player like Adrian Lewis who just seems to **** the darts at the board without such a considered aim as Taylor but yet is capable of winning two world titles.

Lewis has arguably the most naturally smooth throw in the game, Barney maybe the only one you could argue ahead of him. They look effortless when in good form.
    The likes of Taylor, Wade and Wright have to work harder and are more measured and rely more on their aim.

With Lewis gone from his side of the draw and the experience of the Huybrechts clash behind him to gee him up, and the supposedly new darts, if Taylor goes on to win he owes Kim a crate of champagne.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Order of play for the Quarter Finals, top seeds should be happy to be on first. Looking at the seeds left Taylor really has a great draw.

Quarter-finals (best of nine sets)
    Thursday 1 January
    19:10 Michael van Gerwen (1) (Ned) v Robert Thornton (9) (Sco)
    21:00 Peter Wright (5) (Sco) v Gary Anderson (4) (Sco)
    Friday 2 January
    19:10 Phil Taylor (2) (Eng) v Vincent van der Voort (23) (Ned)
    21:00 Raymond Van Barneveld (14) (Ned) v Stephen Bunting (27) (Eng)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Weight v Anderson has the potential to be an awesome match if both perform anywhere near their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Limerick0015

20/1 for wright to win outright is great value at this stage. He has been under the radar for most of the competition but is playing solid. He should beat Anderson and MvG and Taylor are playing nowhere near their best. Wright to cause an upset?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think Wright has it in him to go 3 big games in a row, which is what he'd have to do, but I'd fancy him against Anderson and MVG hasn't been hitting the doubles that great so far this tournament so anything is possible. Bit of a lobsided draw though where the seeds on 1 side add up to 19 and on the other to 66, I have to say I'm a big fan of the system where the highest ranked player/team automatically play the highest ranked, second highest v. second lowest and so on. Not that easy to do in a tournament with unseeded players though.

20/1 for wright to win outright is great value at this stage. He has been under the radar for most of the competition but is playing solid. He should beat Anderson and MvG and Taylor are playing nowhere near their best. Wright to cause an upset?

Anderson has had a great year and has carried it into this tournament, it's by no means a given that Wright will beat him. Anderson will be favourite and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

For me its Anderson also as his form is as good as 2011 when he got to the final of the worlds and followed on and won the premier league. I can see him going all the way this year. Would love to see Anderson/Barney final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't think Wright has it in him to go 3 big games in a row, which is what he'd have to do, but I'd fancy him against Anderson and MVG hasn't been hitting the doubles that great so far this tournament so anything is possible. Bit of a lobsided draw though where the seeds on 1 side add up to 19 and on the other to 66, I have to say I'm a big fan of the system where the highest ranked player/team automatically play the highest ranked, second highest v. second lowest and so on. Not that easy to do in a tournament with unseeded players though.

I wouldn't say it as lob sided as it looks. Barneveld could be much higher ranked if he played more while Bunting has a full year of zero earnings and is already 27th.

Unlikely but would love a Wright v Bunting final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Yeah would love to see Anderson win the title this year. Should be a great contestant between him and Wright and also the match between Bunting and Barney. Can't wait for those quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

hopefully gary keeps his form up and wins outright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My man Bunting is still there, two more wins needed for the each way to come in. Its going to be tough but I think Snakebite could be there at the end as well.

lol and the best tweet from a darter (ever) for 2015 world champs is.....Deano! :D

https://twitter.com/overthetop180/status/550391008132091904

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sharkey 25

Hi Lads

<snip>

No stream requests, thanks

• Advertisement

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    Hi Lads

<snip>

yes, google

:rolleyes: why do people continually ask for us to break board rules when sites are easy to find

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

MVG to win 5-2!

1-0 (3-2) great 1st set, both firing. I can see this going far.

MVG 180s 5, 140s 1, 100s 5 crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Unbelievable stuff so far from Van Gerwen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Breathtaking stuff from MVG, nearly half expect him to get a 9 darter at this rate!

• Advertisement

MVG to win 5-2!

Check that.
    Maybe 5-0!

Trying to put the little one to bed, any score?

soon to be 4-0 and MVG hen 5-0 by looks of it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Thornton still has the highest checkout so far right?

Thornton still has the highest checkout so far right?

No, MVG 122(I think it last set) Thornton 121

3-1 and great darts from Thornton! MVG 2-0 up and missed bull for 170, Thornton came back to win set 3-2! Come on thornton, this is a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

3-1 now.

Thornton playing really well, just unfortunate to run into MvG in beast mode. Nobody lives with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Running at over a tonne average and still 3-1 down. How does MVG keep up the intensity at that level??

Running at over a tonne average and still 3-1 down. How does MVG keep up the intensity at that level??

mvg 110 Thornton 104!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Glad Thornton got a set back. Might have been too much if he went 4-0 down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Devastator wrote: »
    No, MVG 122(I think it last set) Thornton 121

3-1 and great darts from Thornton! MVG 2-0 up and missed bull for 170, Thornton came back to win set 3-2! Come on thornton, this is a great game

Excellent, went for MvG to win, most 180's and highest checkout

3-2!!! Thornton breaks throw

Well played the Thorn!

Delighted for him. Just got to stick around for the cool spots and hope for the best.

Some game this, great turnaround from Thornton after looking dead and buried not so long ago.

Just sitting down now, 106 vs 104 average, savage game

if anyone needs to keep upto date on 180s, checkouts or wanna see upto date averages have a look at

http://live.dartsdata.com/MatchView.aspx?MatchId=101631

Thornton is leaving nothing out there in fairness,

Under some pressure to hold your throw to throw 59 to be followed by 180, game over

• Advertisement

Taylor-esque like timing by the green man here.

Advertisement