Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like to see in Waterford?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

This thread is focussed on a the not too serious side of things. I'm thinking more the day to day stuff which make life more enjoyable rather than looking for University status, pylons (or lack of!), free water, etc.

I've been living in Waterford for just a few months now and what I would like to see, and would spend money in, is a place that does a great burger. I'm thinking similar to bunsen burger up in Dublin. I passed Revolutions recently and saw a sign up advertising 'the best burger in Waterford' and while this may be true, it's coming from a low base. I didn't think the burger there was all that great either. Overdone, mainly tasteless and with a low quality bun. I wouldn't order it again. To be fair the only place I'd go for a beer in Waterford is Revolution, they've really got that side of business down but that't not the point of this post.

So that's the thing I'd like to see in Waterford, a really good burger joint.

Anyone see any other niches to be filled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Unless its improved drastically in the last few months, the grub in Revolution isn't even within an asses roar of the best burger in town. Last couple of times I got a burger there (having previously had great food there several times) it was a cheap frozen burger (I'm talking Tesco value range as opposed to Tesco finest), propr muck unfortunately. Myself and the missus used to love it, but won't be eating there again.

I'd like to see a decent cinema, Odeon have started gouging, inevitably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I'd like to see a Nandos and a drive thru Burger king somewhere in town,and it would be nice if one of the cinemas sold alcohol and pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

HMV might be nice, was in the one up in Dublin couldn't believe the prices or offers compared to what is around down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A Wetherspoons bar, for some cheap craft beers. Oh, and for someone to attack those buildings on the north quays with a cruise missile or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Marks and Spencers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

There's a place in Galway called Pure Skill, you compete against your mates/colleagues/stag party/whatever across 10 different sports. Non contact. You play for points. It's state of the art and anyone I know who has done it has raved about it. Would love to see something similar in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd like to see a Nandos and a drive thru Burger king somewhere in town,and it would be nice if one of the cinemas sold alcohol and pizzas.

Jaysis, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Brendão wrote: »
    There's a place in Galway called Pure Skill, you compete against your mates/colleagues/stag party/whatever across 10 different sports. Non contact. You play for points. It's state of the art and anyone I know who has done it has raved about it. Would love to see something similar in Waterford.

This and Nando's in the same building would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

d4v1d wrote: »
    This thread is focussed on a the not too serious side of things. I'm thinking more the day to day stuff which make life more enjoyable rather than looking for University status, pylons (or lack of!), free water, etc.

I've been living in Waterford for just a few months now and what I would like to see, and would spend money in, is a place that does a great burger. I'm thinking similar to bunsen burger up in Dublin. I passed Revolutions recently and saw a sign up advertising 'the best burger in Waterford' and while this may be true, it's coming from a low base. I didn't think the burger there was all that great either. Overdone, mainly tasteless and with a low quality bun. I wouldn't order it again. To be fair the only place I'd go for a beer in Waterford is Revolution, they've really got that side of business down but that't not the point of this post.

So that's the thing I'd like to see in Waterford, a really good burger joint.

Anyone see any other niches to be filled?

Someone has answered your prayers! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burzza/358072377688301?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Would love to see North quays made into world class science and industry museum complete with pedestrian bridge and nice area to walk around over there. other major things, proper stadium to hold events (nothing massive), suir valley railway into city with stop at mount congreve....i think im getting away from the OP so....

Zaytoon from Dublin to move to Waterford
    IFI from Dublin to move to Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

This looks very promising indeed. Thanks for sending this on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'd like to see Georgia Salpa handing out copies of the Munster Express in Red Square, whilst naked, covered only in the dusty flour from a floury blaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'd like to see Georgia Salpa handing out copies of the Munster Express in Red Square, whilst naked, covered only in the dusty flour from a floury blaa.

Lets make this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

longshanks wrote: »
    Lets make this happen.

I'll supply the van.....

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Descent music venue. Think whelans...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Descent music venue. Think whelans...
    We had Electric Avenue. While its layout was absolutely terrible for gigs, they did the best they could with it and would have had a similar music policy to what Whelan's do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

A big shop for just men (age 18-25) clothes. Hate the way most people you see have the exact same clothes out of pennys.
    A few alternative nightclubs would be nice. You basically have a choice of sh!te chart music or a band playing Wagon Wheel and Oasis.
    I know Crystal have a few decent Djs from time to time which is good but you would get sick of going there.

ps. What the hell is Nandos? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

deadybai wrote: »
    A big shop for just men (age 18-25) clothes. Hate the way most people you see have the exact same clothes out of pennys.
    A few alternative nightclubs would be nice. You basically have a choice of sh!te chart music or a band playing Wagon Wheel and Oasis.
    I know Crystal have a few decent Djs from time to time which is good but you would get sick of going there.

ps. What the hell is Nandos? :pac:
    It's a posh KFC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Nandos is over priced and over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

...and we want it over here......:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

In your opinion of course ;)

So what would you like to see in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

H and M. Marks and Spencer. A sports centre or large music venue on North Quay (we need something year round apart from vikings and crystal to bring in the punters) look at the marquee in cork, excellent idea. The north Quay offers massive potential, a real clean slate and add a foot bridge with cycle lanes from there to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Zara, HMV. I’d like to see the Tower Hotel upgraded. Not necessarily a star increase but anybody who has ever been up in the meeting rooms will know that I mean. Also they own land and the old Alfie Hales pup at the back which together with the existing site and the hotels location in the Viking Triangle offers great potential. After all if you are going to increase the number of tourists staying in the city it kinda helps to increase the number of hotel rooms. Also I’d like to see some empty sites developed into disguised multi-storey car parks to gradually remove the car parks on The Quay replacing them with a river front park.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

In your opinion of course ;)

So what would you like to see in Waterford?

TGI Fridays...a big music venue...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

we've had a couple of pricey but lovely burger joints before and they didnt last unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Lol... You say Nando's is over priced and then suggest TGI's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'd also love to see H&M.

Also, something like Forbidden Plant would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

BBM77 wrote: »
    Zara, HMV. I’d like to see the Tower Hotel upgraded. Not necessarily a star increase but anybody who has ever been up in the meeting rooms will know that I mean. Also they own land and the old Alfie Hales pup at the back which together with the existing site and the hotels location in the Viking Triangle offers great potential. After all if you are going to increase the number of tourists staying in the city it kinda helps to increase the number of hotel rooms. Also I’d like to see some empty sites developed into disguised multi-storey car parks to gradually remove the car parks on The Quay replacing them with a river front park.

love to see all parking off the quays,grass most of it, a few cafes and a restaurant constructed from glass, a band stand, all controlled by volunteers or park rangers. be a nice Christmas wish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Good buskers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

A music shop. It's not a lot to ask is it? A proper one.

Advertisement