Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like to see in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Brendão wrote: »
    I'd also love to see H&M.

Also, something like Forbidden Plant would be cool.

We came close with a couple of small bookshops. Shops like these need a lot of students to survive. There was one in Limerick briefly but it closed. But this type of books are becoming more popular with the book centre now stocking them too so their is hope yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A lot of things people are suggesting have been tried, and not supported.

I would like to see a proper music venue again to showcase original, local and national talent as well as trying to attract some of the big names from outside Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

A music shop. It's not a lot to ask is it? A proper one.

When did Cantwells close?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Crystal
    This is the home of Waterford Crystal and there isn't a bit of Crystal
    On display in the city in a public outside space . Something like a sculpture or light etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Crystal
    This is the home of Waterford Crystal and there isn't a bit of Crystal
    On display in the city in a public outside space . Something like a sculpture or light etc...

How long do you think it would last?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Don't know. Why don't we find out?

Let's put some gold statues up while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I think we could do with a few more roundabouts and road works on the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yaay for positivity!!! :rolleyes:

Why don't we just have security grilles and razor wire everywhere, in case some vandal might destroy something? Who cares what it looks like?

Look around you. How much vandalism is there in Waterford these days? Very little... most people are proud of where they live, and the place looks immeasurably better than it did back in the '80s.

Of course there's no guarantee some little skobe won't chuck a rocker at something nice that's put up, but that's no reason not to celebrate the city's industrial heritage and make it a nicer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fricatus wrote: »

Why don't we just have security grilles and razor wire everywhere, in case some vandal might destroy something? Who cares what it looks like?

Look around you. How much vandalism is there in Waterford these days? Very little... most people are proud of where they live, and the place looks immeasurably better than it did back in the '80s.

Of course there's no guarantee some little skobe won't chuck a rocker at something nice that's put up, but that's no reason not to celebrate the city's industrial heritage and make it a nicer place.

Im all for positivity and i dont think bowling alley was being negative in this instance, lets face it, a glass sculpture in the city centre...come on, not a bad idea but just a little unrealistic

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »

Are you kidding me? I can't even believe we're talking about this. Waterford Crystal...outdoors. Are you insane? Forget about vandals...how long do you think it would hold in the weather? It's nothing to do with positivity and negativity, it's about realism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

A small retro games store would be great to have in the city as well there might be a market for one now as retro games are becoming a huge thing now

Max Powers wrote: »
    Im all for positivity and i dont think bowling alley was being negative in this instance, lets face it, a glass sculpture in the city centre...come on, not a bad idea but just a little unrealistic
    Are you kidding me? I can't even believe we're talking about this. Waterford Crystal...outdoors. Are you insane? Forget about vandals...how long do you think it would hold in the weather? It's nothing to do with positivity and negativity, it's about realism.

Well we have metal sculptures and stone ones, so why not glass?

In my mind (maybe I didn't make this clear) it would be something fairly robust, but recognisably crystal. I wasn't thinking of a delicate chandelier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Public floggings ever Saturday afternoon would work a treat.

Also some bull baiting up on Ballybricken would be quite popular and draw the crowds.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Public floggings ever Saturday afternoon would work a treat.

Also some bull baiting up on Ballybricken would be quite popular and draw the crowds.

The appropriately named Gibbet Hill up in Gracedieu would be a great spot for hangings too... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Id love to see another Sci Fi shop, the one in Johns St was fantastic im amazed it lasted as long as it did

Said this on another thread: viking tours on the Suir that drive onto the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Nandos... would be a goldmine, without a doubt.

A Chipolte would be nice too...:p

Here's one: bring the Wales fans back to Waterford for the rugby 6 nations. There used to be loads of them staying here instead of going to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Here's one: bring the Wales fans back to Waterford for the rugby 6 nations. There used to be loads of them staying here instead of going to Dublin.

Never heard of that. Was that in Dooleys hotel? Why is it gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

mentioned before in different thread but some sort of family acitivity centre in ard-ri site. I saw a travel program during week where a family on holiday in prague done a slide thing (similar to bobsleigh with no ice). loads of turns etc down hill that hill, looked great fun on program on RTE anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

HMV might be nice, was in the one up in Dublin couldn't believe the prices or offers compared to what is around down here.

Do people still buy and rent, music and DVDs? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Coffee shops, the dutch type that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Do people still buy and rent, music and DVDs? :-)

Plenty do i still buy Blu Rays not DVDS. Like even if you have fast internet the effort of having to download a full 1080P rip with 5.1 sound is nearly 40GB in some cases i would just wait to it gos cheap 2nd hand in XV marketplace.

But with Music you cant download vinyl records can you ;). You be shocked how big the market is now for vinyl and magically CD sales are on the up no idea how but they are :/.

Crazy golf course in the Ballybricken triangle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Forced eviction of negative people and knockers from the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Whywhywhy85

deadybai wrote: »
    Never heard of that. Was that in Dooleys hotel? Why is it gone?

The town used to be full of the Welsh, was always a great weekend around the town.

A record fair: rent out a parish hall in the city centre, charge €2 admission, and have stalls from around the country (and the North) selling second-hand records and CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Id like to see that old fountain that used to be in the park again, on a related note id like to see an end or reduction to some of these new ultra modernistic art pieces around the place some of them are just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Coffee shops, the dutch type that is.

seahorsedoolans.jpg

Advertisement