Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nu-metal

Options
  • 17-11-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

When did this genre of music die?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It didn't die. It never lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Over a decade ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

When people realised there was basically "one sound" to it and moved on. :pac:

Like any genre really, it's just something new comes along that becomes popular instead. I think it was probably punk / screamo / emo that overtook nu-metal.

Still, some of my guilty pleasures are nu-metal. Korn, American Head Charge, Deftones (before they went almost "djent-ey"), Limp Bizkit, One Minute Silence, etc.

Deftones were the only good band that came out of that whole era, but I don't really see them as a nu-metal band as such.

I thing about nu-metal was that even though it had an eclectic melting pot of influences, it seemed to take the worst from those influences and mix them into one turgid pile of goo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

twas good for a while - Spineshank, Raging Speedhorn et al :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Man, I love me some Korn, never fails to bring me back to being a kid :p

Hey, you remember this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Links234 wrote: »
    Man, I love me some Korn, never fails to bring me back to being a kid :p

Hey, you remember this?

Personally I wouldn't have called AAF "nu-metal", that was the next shift in the genre (or craze)...like soft-pop-punk. Whatever Green Day and Offspring turned in to. And with that came Sum41 and Blink 182. Then along came that sh*te My Chemical Romance.

I still like their tune, Attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

twas good for a while - Spineshank, Raging Speedhorn et al :)

Im sorry but Raging Speedhorn have never been what would be classed as Nu Metal.

To me the Nu Metal sound summed up is Downthesun or Stinkin Park.

IMO it died when Machine Head released Supercharger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It's such an uncool thing to admit but I still like a lot of nu metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

IMO it died when Machine Head released Supercharger.

Nu-metal lived longer than 2001 in fact around this time was when it was prob at its most successful. Stinkin Park hadn't a second album out and that Evanescence song that tops most of those Nu-metal countdowns wasn't even out I'd say more like 05/06 was when it was dying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

It's such an uncool thing to admit but I still like a lot of nu metal.

Just recently I started youtubing old Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones, AAF all that kind of stuff and got a real nostalgia buzz from it. Basically all the stuff I listened to when I was 16/17. Would easily listen to it more regularly if I could remember to stick it on the iPhone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Could Incubus be classed as "nu metal". As in, their first album had a lot of heavy down tuned riffs with singing. quasi rapping? Or was it more of a FNM/Mr Bungle influence than nu metal?

Deftones managed to evolve into a very decent alternative metal band, even their "nu metal" stuff kind of holds up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

Not every generation necessarily gets a 'Titanic' genre of music, as in a genre that crashes so spectacularly and suddenly. Actually, it was a fairly rotten, decaying structure from about 2001 on. It held on for about a year as the next wave formed behind it and then it was unceremoniously swept aside in a few months. But it's funny to watch that happen as some bands just get washed away almost never to be heard from again, and some try to scurry off the sinking ship. It was Glam Metal redux and Henry Rollins has a funny bit about it in one of his shows. Well, not Nu-Metal, it was Glam Metal (Bon Jovi, specifically) and how they had to suddenly 'reconfigure their sh*t' when Kurt Cobain came along, but the same principle applies. You saw a lot of Nu-Metal bands try to do that around 2003-04 as well when guitar solo oriented rock and metal became cool again.

I sort of miss the time, but not the music. A lot of it was very over-produced and soulless. There were other trends that thankfully got cut short as well like juvenile Pop-Punk and whatever Crazy Town were, just general rap-rock/alt stuff. I don't much miss any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It had it's moments, but how it managed to influence existing bands and artists confuses me. I never liked Roots, thought God Hates Us All was Slayer's worst by far and get the urge to facepalm whenever I remember "Frantic tick tick tick tick tick tock". Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It had it's moments, but how it managed to influence existing bands and artists confuses me. I never liked Roots, thought God Hates Us All was Slayer's worst by far and get the urge to facepalm whenever I remember "Frantic tick tick tick tick tick tock". Ugh.

Lars describing the album as a riff-o-rama :eek::eek:

Lars describing the album as a riff-o-rama :eek::eek:

Snare drums don't need snares anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

seachto7 wrote: »
    Could Incubus be classed as "nu metal". As in, their first album had a lot of heavy down tuned riffs with singing. quasi rapping? Or was it more of a FNM/Mr Bungle influence than nu metal?

Deftones managed to evolve into a very decent alternative metal band, even their "nu metal" stuff kind of holds up I think.

Maybe science and Make Yourself in someway but their first album Fungus Amongus was very much Mr Bungle FNM influenced - in the sleeve notes they even apologise for trying to Sound too much like FNM/Mr Bungle and Primus on the one album. But they nailed it at such a young age - pity they are terrible now.

Nu-metal lived longer than 2001 in fact around this time was when it was prob at its most successful. Stinkin Park hadn't a second album out and that Evanescence song that tops most of those Nu-metal countdowns wasn't even out I'd say more like 05/06 was when it was dying out.
    It was pretty much dead by 2004. At the time you had a new wave of metal bands emerging such as Mastodon, Trivium, Lamb of God etc. You also had post-hardcore and emo going mainstream at the time. Nu-metal had already ran out of ideas (or whatever little ideas it had) by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I liked and still like Nu-Metal.

Sikh are a fantastic French Nu-Metal outfit well worth checking out if you like the genre, they only released 2 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone remember Dog Eat Dog? Always had a soft spot for them back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sometimes I like to wind people up by saying Meshuggah are my favourite nu-metal band :pac:

^^ I'm stealing that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

adox wrote: »
    Anyone remember Dog Eat Dog? Always had a soft spot for them back in the day

I think they're the crowd who backed up biohazard at the Tivoli in the early 90's. Always thought of them as a one hit wonder,song called No Fronts iirc.

Edit. Found the song on YouTube,it was definitely them alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

According to Wikipedia, I can have Static-X (RIP), A Perfect Circle, System of a Down, Chimaira, Dry Kill Logic, Fear Factory, Rage Against The Machine, Rob Zombie, Sepultura and Type O Negative as nu-metal.
    Guess I'm a nu-metaller then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Love american head charge.

Advertisement