Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads. W.T.F?

123457»

Comments

I'm going to throw on a conspiracy theory tin hat for a bit, so hear me out.

Here's a question: why is it the Irish supposedly took things lying down over the past few years while other countries kicked up?

Could it be their respect for the rule of law?

OK, you're a hard left activist, and you're annoyed that the sheeple in your country are bending over and taking it from the man without doing anything. You wonder why. You come up with their respect for law.

You then see that, in other countries, their cops are using disproportionate force against protesters, which in turn turns public opinion against them.

So, when you decide to up your protest, you do what you can to provoke a reaction. It only takes one.

It has only taken one.

Forget the shoulds woulds coulds. They are out to make the guards look like the ones in Ferguson.

We must not let them.

I think it's nuts that people expect the rules to change in protests, to talk wishy-washy about "the peepil" vs "deh gubberment b*satrds*. If the hard left get any concessions in use of force at protests, you can be damn sure the fleg bais will be using exactly the same arguments when they wave their Union Jacks down O'Connell St for Love Ulster II "Paysful prowtest hay!"

Just to say I don't go for conspiracy theories, but just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Guards don't do excessive violence. I ask you guards to prove it. Give them nothing to beat you with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What exactly is your theory? People are purposely pushing Garda to get a reaction to drive protests?

There may be a small group who'd want that but I think for the most part the protesters are peaceful and have just had enough of taxes at this stage. AGS are protecting the people they are protesting against so AGS end up in the middle of a sandwich. Its a very difficult situation and I don't envy it one bit

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What exactly is your theory? People are purposely pushing Garda to get a reaction to drive protests?

There may be a small group who'd want that but I think for the most part the protesters are peaceful and have just had enough of taxes at this stage. AGS are protecting the people they are protesting against so AGS end up in the middle of a sandwich. Its a very difficult situation and I don't envy it one bit

Yeah, you summed it up pretty much, and I agree it might be as small as a handful of people who'd want to do it, and with your assessment of the protests TBH. Like I said, it takes only one incident captured on camera, and anyone who'd benefit from being able to take more "direct action" can point to that one incident and say "SEE!? WHY SHOULD I RESPECT THEIR LAW WHEN THEY DON'T!?"

It's like a chain holding weight. If one tiny part of the chain cracks, the whole thing is useless.

Still though, if protest rules of engagement end up changing, would it not be a risk that the bais up North could take advantage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

no money honey banned for 1 week, for personal abuse, general slagging of the forum, discussing mod actions on thread and also personal abuse via pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yeah, you summed it up pretty much, and I agree it might be as small as a handful of people who'd want to do it, and with your assessment of the protests TBH. Like I said, it takes only one incident captured on camera, and anyone who'd benefit from being able to take more "direct action" can point to that one incident and say "SEE!? WHY SHOULD I RESPECT THEIR LAW WHEN THEY DON'T!?"

It's like a chain holding weight. If one tiny part of the chain cracks, the whole thing is useless.

Still though, if protest rules of engagement end up changing, would it not be a risk that the bais up North could take advantage?

I'm with SeaSlacker on the conspiracy angle,but what I notice this time is just how large a role Social Media is playing in this particular issue.

The Anti-IW campaign is,to me,the first major National campaign where ALL of the immediacy of Social Media has been harnessed and used to great effect on the agencies of State,particularly the Gardai.

This particular element is most likely covered in various volumes and boxed-sets of "Anarchy for Dummies" et al,but it is proving somewhat problematical as the State's responses are a decade behind and as amaturish as hell.

Most folks ability to reasonably digest and consider things have been whittled down by the "New" media era,we no longer read articles from a variety of sources and cross-reference them to get an accurate view of events.

Instead,we go straight to the sites/pages which more accurately reflect our gut feelings,and in doing so,have those feelings reinforced by the jig-time.

Ignorance of broader events can,in some cases,be a very secure comfort zone,and nowhere more than when dealing with impositions,such as charges and taxes.....taken on a wee bit,it can then be used to foster acceptance of stuff such as "Freeman" belief's which,although lofty sounding and generally well meaning,have precious little grounding in modern day societal reality....however it sure looks good on U-Tube.

Right now,I believe the IW battle will eventually be settled over Christmas,when the "Diaspora" return en-masse and start talking face to face with the natives on the reality of Life on Earth....as opposed to Planet Éire ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
Advertisement