Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Expo next weekend...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've been enjoying looking at pictures of the pet expo on facebook from many of the people who I've befriended from the cat show world and got an awful pang of 'oh I want to be there!' How is the cat show laid out, is it in a separate place to the main expo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

anniehoo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, met lots of people I should have met a long time ago and it was less crowded than the last time I was there. Tomorrow will be jammers.

Met the lovely Knine and her 2 beauties too.

The cat village was my biggest surprise. So much better than the last time I was there.

TK there's only so much you can do with these types of expos. You can't go OTT with anything like this. What else would you like to have?

The 'petting' area I dont understand though. Alpacas in a pen and various avians at ground level I don't get.

I met lots of lovely people and had a good conversation with the Cavalier stand as their poster actively states 'ethical breeding'.

I can't understand why they put that petting area right inside the door?! Could the animals not freak out if a dog comes in and barks at them? I was lucky I saw the ducks before the dogs and was able to steer clear of them! I remember one year a dog (husky I think) attacked one of the animals outside - I think the same dog had been kicked out of the breed village because the dog was aggressive towards some of the dogs there.

What would I like? I don't know tbh :p - maybe because I've been a few times it's just same old same old? I don't think they cater for people who come earlier anymore - before there was demos and shows earlier and again in the afternoon. I would have loved to enter the scrufts show but we got there around 10:30 and I didn't think it'd be fair on the dogs to hang around until 2:00 or 3:00 - Lucy was already trying to lie down for a nap lol!!
    One year they had a cool demo with a customs dog and a lineup of volunteers - one had 'drugs' planted on them and the dog found them. The guy spoke about how the dogs are trained, where they come from etc etc and it was really interesting.

And oops I annoyed the donkey people by not buying a rope toy - we had the same kind and bold Lucy was eating and then nearly chocking on the strands..then I didn't buy a raffle ticket because I didn't want half the stuff in the hamper lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

How is the cat show laid out, is it in a separate place to the main expo?

Do you remember before (maybe 3ish years ago) it was upstairs? Badly advertised and signposted. With 4 or 5 very bored cats in cages. If I was guesstimating sizes I would put the main Expo 7/10ths dogs to 2/10th cats (major improvement) and 1/10th ( rodents and exotics) and some 'farm' animals' which they still haven't got right yet. Alpacas are not pets imho.

There was very 'serious' comps going on when I went in (4 times) with the cats.All cages were not on the ground and some cats mid judging were playing with each other between shows. There was no stress from other animals but I still do wonder why owners put themselves through the showing hassle in the first place. The owners seemed more stressed than the animals lol.

Saw a Scotish Fold for the first time ever. Beautiful.

It's a funny place the Pet Expo because it's a mix of an awful lot of people who I see giving out about each other online, all have their intentions in the same place but for whatever reason don't seem to make an equal or better connection IRL.

Social media is great but I made a point of meeting 3 people today that I have chatted to online over various animal issues and I was so glad I did.

It was a very serious show, first TICA show for the club that put it on (there's a few TICA shows in Ireland.) Honestly it's not that stressful but obviously the pedigree owners who are trying to rack up the points to get champion status would be taking it extremely seriously, you can only get up so many points within a year so as far as I know it would have been 'make or break' for a lot of them! I prefer GCCFI shows anyway because you don't have to be carrying the cats up and down to the judges constantly :P Actually as far as I know there's a fancy dress competition for the cats tomorrow so that could be worth a look in :D Glad to hear the cats get a bit more of a look in this year though! I'm sooo tempted to skive off my rehearsals tomorrow and head up but I'll be killed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I couldn't make it this year and Im raging. I should have been helping out on a stand.

I usually end up buying stuff so I guess its a cost saving exercise.

• Advertisement

Was that the cat part beside the loos? I ran into the loo first before I brought the dogs in and could hear something going on like announcements being made but didn't investigate because Bailey was barking when I left them in the car. When we were going around we ended up where there were food vans etc - I think on the other side of the cats(!) :eek: took the dogs out straight away.

I was dying to see if Bailey would know you Anniehoo and if he thought you were his friend or not lol!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DforDisaster

I'm heading in today for a little look-see and maybe a few purchases (any one see any good bargains on dog stuff?)

I was there twice before, once in the RDS, and once somewhere very far out - punchestown maybe?

To be honest I mainly go to see if I can fuss any nice dogs in the breed village! (Soon to be dog-owner, who has wanted a dog forever - frequently found dragging boyfriend to Pet Expo, Kennel Club Shows, Crufts, Local Waggiest Tail Competitions...I think he will be relieved when I can get my doggy "fix" in the comfort of our own home!)

I'm heading in today for a little look-see and maybe a few purchases (any one see any good bargains on dog stuff?)

I was there twice before, once in the RDS, and once somewhere very far out - punchestown maybe?

To be honest I mainly go to see if I can fuss any nice dogs in the breed village! (Soon to be dog-owner, who has wanted a dog forever - frequently found dragging boyfriend to Pet Expo, Kennel Club Shows, Crufts, Local Waggiest Tail Competitions...I think he will be relieved when I can get my doggy "fix" in the comfort of our own home!)

Oh god Punchestown was awful!

Don't forget you fuss the dogs that are on the rescue stands too.... Im sure they greyhounds would appreciate a bit of attention and few head rubs too. But then Im biased ;)

I LOVE the greyhounds - there is something about the shape of their head and body that makes them very satisfying to stroke! I'm always surprised at how big they actually are - most of them are so quiet that you don't really notice their size until they have a stretch. I am an equal-opportunities fusser :-p

God yes, punchestown was a bit of an epic fail - there was some poor guy with a sheepdog outside doing very impressive things, but without anyone really knowing he was there!

I LOVE the greyhounds - there is something about the shape of their head and body that makes them very satisfying to stroke! I'm always surprised at how big they actually are - most of them are so quiet that you don't really notice their size until they have a stretch. I am an equal-opportunities fusser :-p

God yes, punchestown was a bit of an epic fail - there was some poor guy with a sheepdog outside doing very impressive things, but without anyone really knowing he was there!

Then you should get your hound fix then today as Jacob aka Mr Tall Black and Shiny and Rua will be there plus a few others. Both these boys are big but they curl up small

I saw the guy with the sheepdog I just thought he was some guy doing a bit of training never realised he was part of the Expo.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Ah just saw on FB that the vet who did Bailey's op is at the expo!! Would have loved to thank her in person!

Had a grand time. Was very taken with the alpaca!

I'm always surprised that there aren't more pet-related trade stands - there were very few today. I did get some vet bed though.

The cat-world was much better than other years - it was interesting to see the different crate covers they had (one was like a lawrence of arabia tent!)

Loved getting to see the therapy dogs, and got to give a lovely Galgo a fuss over at the H.U.G. stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Went to this yesterday, was a bit of craic.

Just about the cat world / cat show - was there domestic cats in there? I know from googling that the cat show in May is exotic breeds but did owners bring their cats to the Expo there and compete them?

My cat is better looking then a lot of them you see, I'd fancy his chances next year although he might attack the other cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

Was so disappointed with PetExpo from the sheep as you walked in the door tied on the outside of the pen - was too a stressful environment for them with all teh dogs coming in on top of them. I thought the poor hamster in the balls getting thrown around the table was a disgrace and did anyone see the poor baby parots all huddled together trying to keep warm and not a heat lamp or pad in sight

nm wrote: »
    Just about the cat world / cat show - was there domestic cats in there? I know from googling that the cat show in May is exotic breeds but did owners bring their cats to the Expo there and compete them?

My cat is better looking then a lot of them you see, I'd fancy his chances next year although he might attack the other cats.

Yep there's always a household pet section in cat shows as well as the pedigree breeds. It's quite fun really if you get into it, I've shown all my cats at various shows. Some people get crazy competitive even in the household pet section and it's a tad off putting but if you don't let it affect you then it's good! It's not a case where you can just bring your cat along on the day though you have to register their entry about a month-ish beforehand. I'd love to see more people enter their moggies, it's usually just the same few people that enter the section so would be nice to see some fresh faces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sassy58 wrote: »
    I thought the poor hamster in the balls getting thrown around the table was a disgrace

I felt a bit weird about that too but I kept checking throughout the day and to be fair they were only out in balls for 10 minutes at a time. The guy standing next to it seemed good about keeping an eye on them.
    Yep there's always a household pet section in cat shows as well as the pedigree breeds. It's quite fun really if you get into it, I've shown all my cats at various shows. Some people get crazy competitive even in the household pet section and it's a tad off putting but if you don't let it affect you then it's good! It's not a case where you can just bring your cat along on the day though you have to register their entry about a month-ish beforehand. I'd love to see more people enter their moggies, it's usually just the same few people that enter the section so would be nice to see some fresh faces!

One of the entries on the Saturday was a gorgeous one-eyed blue who I took a very big shine to! It was lovely to see a one-eyed cat, especially as we're adopting one. I'd love to show her, she's a beauty but she hates being picked up apparently, it really stresses her out (they think she was picked up and thrown into oil) so I wouldn't like to do that to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I really enjoyed it, was there yesterday morning for a few hours. I really only go there things for the dogs, to see breeds I don't normally and get chatting to some owners.

I didn't see any alpacas there though, just llamas- did I miss the alpacas??

The cat area was perfectly handled, I thought - quiet, out of the way of the dogs, with loads of space and variety. The cats seemed very relaxed this year - think they finally got the formula right!!

The sheep/goats/bird area always annoys me so I don't bother with that any more.

Favourite dog of the Expo: Black Russian Terrier puppy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm always surprised that there aren't more pet-related trade stands - there were very few today. I did get some vet bed though.

Probably because of the price of the stands, i've a few friends that have had stands previously, but ended up losing money, so stopped going.

I really enjoyed it, was there yesterday morning for a few hours. I really only go there things for the dogs, to see breeds I don't normally and get chatting to some owners.

I didn't see any alpacas there though, just llamas- did I miss the alpacas??

The cat area was perfectly handled, I thought - quiet, out of the way of the dogs, with loads of space and variety. The cats seemed very relaxed this year - think they finally got the formula right!!

The sheep/goats/bird area always annoys me so I don't bother with that any more.

Favourite dog of the Expo: Black Russian Terrier puppy :D

Oh, maybe it was a llama, rather than an alpaca! I get them a bit confused sometimes!

I, too, loved the Black Russian Terrier puppy - I had never seen a BRT puppy before - so cute!

@Muddy Paws - you are probably right about the price stand. I guess now that people have access to so much pet related on-line shopping, trade stands at an event like that mightn't get as much custom as they would have done some time ago.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Probably because of the price of the stands, i've a few friends that have had stands previously, but ended up losing money, so stopped going.

+1 I know somebody who had a small table - i think it was €350? He got no extra custom and lost a day's work from being their on the Saturday so wouldn't do it again.

• Advertisement

I think its a real shame, as I do think people would spend money, but companies won't have stands if its too expensive, so then less people go the next year, as there wasn't much stuff, etc, etc etc. I was talking to someone from a rescue about it yesterday, they also had to pay for their stands, they suggested maybe free entry, or cheaper tickets, which would draw more people in, they'd have more money to spend, and it might get it going a bit more. I guess rent at the RDS is sky high though. It would be lovely to have something decent each year, but having been to Pet Expo as a member of the public once, and as part of a display twice (and after the first year we swore we wouldn't go back again, but got talked around), I won't be going again in the foreseeable future unless it changes drastically.

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 I know somebody who had a small table - i think it was €350? He got no extra custom and lost a day's work from being their on the Saturday so wouldn't do it again.

I think people underestimate the power actual 'people interaction' has as a marketing tool though.

I talked to a lot of people on Saturday and while I didn't actually buy anything (well tickets for a raffle) there are lots of rescues and companies I've already looked up since then based on the conversation I had with people.

THIS is why you spend your money. Yes people like freebies but what people remember is how you came across on the day. They may have been following your website or Facebook page for a long time and had a certain perception of you but you can change that in 5mins by talking to someone face to face. It takes one click on social media for people never to see anything from you again..

You may have made very little or 'lost' money in your eyes but you will be very surprised by what people remember and will follow up on based on how you present yourself in person.

I was very surprised by the breed village and one stand in particular who advertised 'ethical breeding'. Will definitely be following and recommending them in the future. I asked them a million questions and they asked me lots back. Others I went to just looked bored. Grumpy bored people do not make me want to ask anything about their dogs.

The idea of this expo is to promote the people as well as the animals behind your 'brand' whether it be a rescue or business.

I genuinely think we've gotten too reliant on social media for determining our opinions on most things. Nothing beats meeting the people behind the posts and I think people forget that.

You may think its money wasted but if you were enthusiastic,informative and passionate about the stand you were promoting I can guarantee you will get that back in spades by word of mouth (the best marketing tool of all). ;)

I think people underestimate the power actual 'people interaction' has as a marketing tool though.

I talked to a lot of people on Saturday and while I didn't actually buy anything (well tickets for a raffle) there are lots of rescues and companies I've already looked up since then based on the conversation I had with people.

THIS is why you spend your money. Yes people like freebies but what people remember is how you came across on the day. They may have been following your website or Facebook page for a long time and had a certain perception of you but you can change that in 5mins by talking to someone face to face. It takes one click on social media for people never to see anything from you again..

You may have made very little or 'lost' money in your eyes but you will be very surprised by what people remember and will follow up on based on how you present yourself in person.

I was very surprised by the breed village and one stand in particular who advertised 'ethical breeding'. Will definitely be following and recommending them in the future. I asked them a million questions and they asked me lots back. Others I went to just looked bored. Grumpy bored people do not make me want to ask anything about their dogs.

The idea of this expo is to promote the people as well as the animals behind your 'brand' whether it be a rescue or business.

I genuinely think we've gotten too reliant on social media for determining our opinions on most things. Nothing beats meeting the people behind the posts and I think people forget that.

You may think its money wasted but if you were enthusiastic,informative and passionate about the stand you were promoting I can guarantee you will get that back in spades by word of mouth (the best marketing tool of all). ;)

I find that really condescending. This may have been your first experience of being on a stand at Pet Expo, but others, including myself have been involved since the beginning, since before social media became so important, and year by year, there has been a drop of of businesses willing to pay out for very little. We had people that travelled from all over the country and stayed with friends, or in hotels, paying out of their own pockets to promote something they felt passionately about, we did fantastic displays, but when the organisers keep moving the goalposts, promising things, and then not delivering, clubs, organisations and businesses stop going.

The same people that put Pet Expo on did the thing in the summer at Cloghran, and promised a dock diving pool, in reality two paddling pools bought from Argos was what actually there.

Its great that you enjoyed yourself and are enthusiastic about it, but please don't belittle businesses that do other expos and shows, and know their business, and choose not to do this one, as they know it isn't worth their while.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I find that really condescending.
    :rolleyes: Lol of course you would. That was far from my intention but take it up anyway you want, you usually do.

wrote:
    but please don't belittle businesses that do other expos and shows, and know their business, and choose not to do this one, as they know it isn't worth their while.

Ah muddypaws you crack me up. Where exactly have I belittled any business exactly? I've been doing expos in various guises for 10 years and I'm as enthusiastic now as I was then even if some of them didn't live up to expectations and we spent a fortune on our stand. The premise behind doing them remains the same. Meeting your current and potential clients. I didn't sit their with a grumpy face on me, I talked pretty much solid for 8hrs and made people feel welcome at our stand. When I started 10 years ago I didn't have one single freebie to hand out and not even a banner, but I got new clients. Why? I was friendly, pleasant and informative. The same cannot be said for a few stands I saw on Saturday simple as.

If you are unhappy with the Expo why exactly are you going in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I used to attend the Pet Expo, representing my breed (Rotties) in the Breed Village.

I stopped after the second year of doing it, why? Because, we didnt even get as much as a cup of tea from them for giving up our time for them all weekend.

Not that i would ever do anything like that for money or something in return, but i felt that, as we weren't a business there to make a profit, it was actually costing us money etc to attend, that it would have been nice to get a very small something from them, ie a lunch voucher, or tea/coffee voucher.

Its very hard on the dogs too, to be there all weekend and i found by Sunday lunchtime the dogs were exhausted. Also, when the public were allowed to bring their own dogs it changed things a lot too as not everyone's dog's are well behaved and well socialised which caused some issues.

All of the breed village attendees aren't there for monetary value, unlike the stalls which are business's.

I just think it would be a nice gesture for them to at least provide some lunch or tea/coffee vouchers for them.

:rolleyes: Lol of course you would. That was far from my intention but take it up anyway you want, you usually do.

Ah muddypaws you crack me up. Where exactly have I belittled any business exactly? I've been doing expos in various guises for 10 years and I'm as enthusiastic now as I was then even if some of them didn't live up to expectations and we spent a fortune on our stand. The premise behind doing them remains the same. Meeting your current and potential clients. I didn't sit their with a grumpy face on me, I talked pretty much solid for 8hrs and made people feel welcome at our stand. When I started 10 years ago I didn't have one single freebie to hand out and not even a banner, but I got new clients. Why? I was friendly, pleasant and informative. The same cannot be said for a few stands I saw on Saturday simple as.

Well you basically said my friend wasn't ar$ed interacting with people so it's his own fault - I find it a bit condescending and it wasn't even my business.:confused:

I went for socialization for Lucy and hoped it might be better than last time. Most of the stands I visited last year weren't there this year so disappointing not to catch up with them in person.

Funny anyone I know who's being going years thought it was crap too - but we all must have a bad attitude..

I'm not, which is exactly the point I was making :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

What did people think of the position of the farm animals? I thought it was very good to have them there but maybe not right in the doorway!

One of my dogs went ballistic the moment we walked in (and yes, she was a collie....some farm dog she is!!!). I had to run to another part of the expo to calm her down! Of course, I got looks thrown my way and even one woman went out of her way to come all the over to me to tell me to control my dog (it should be noted that at this stage, my dog was fine and only barked when we passed the farm animals)!!!

I just think if the organisers were expecting so many dogs there, maybe right at the entrance is not the best place to put the farm animals. You couldn't walk in or out of the building without passing them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    Less of the argumentative tone please, there is no need at all for this thread to descend to that.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Ashbx wrote: »
    One of my dogs went ballistic the moment we walked in (and yes, she was a collie....some farm dog she is!!!). I had to run to another part of the expo to calm her down! Of course, I got looks thrown my way and even one woman went out of her way to come all the over to me to tell me to control my dog (it should be noted that at this stage, my dog was fine and only barked when we passed the farm animals)!!!

Most people who don't own Collies don't know that they are complainers and very vocal about it! I would have told that woman where to go. My collie girl would have went ape barking in excitement at the farm animals too if I had brought her! :pac:

Personally I don't think the larger farm animals should be cramped up in pens like those all day stressed from noisey animals,children and indeed some adults!

I don't think there was as much at the trade stands this year, I didn't buy much. Most of the staff on the stands were nice enough. While it wasn't the best expo this year (that guy on the loud speaker gave me a headache) I will still return next year.

Advertisement