Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast en route to Belfast from Navan?

Options
  • 17-11-2014 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Heading to Giants Causeway (then staying in Belfast) from Navan and are looking for where to break the journey and get breakfast. We stopped in Apple green the last time, but it’s a lifeless services place with the usual mass cooked fry etc

We are looking at stopping around half way to change driver(or even sooner if need be) and want to stay as near to motorway as it’s a long enough drive.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you're driving Navan, Belfast and then the causeway?
    I'd just stop in Newry and eat, about an hour there from Navan. There's plenty of places there but I'm not sure what you're looking for, full fry or something else?
    What time will you leave home?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

the shelbourne in newry or head on into belfast and try helen's on the ormeau road. lovely fry up, certainly isn't lifeless and known to cure 75% of hangovers*

*has not been confirmed as of 17/11/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Navan to Giants Causeway and then back down to Belfast for three days

Leaving around eight as we have pre booked tickets for 12, so want to be able to take our time(within reason)and then sit and enjoy breakfast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

do you want an irish breakfast or English breakfast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

one hour 31 minutes is the trip time

140km so breakfast in tiffinys

I mean Belfast

trip advisor

The Allotment Bistro Restaurant

48 Upper Queen Street, Belfast, Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Assuming you're taking the M1, A1, M1, M2:

Stop off in Hillsborough. Close to Sprucefield at the end of the A1, it's 1hr 18 mins from Navan according to google maps.

Quaint wee village with a number of cafes open in the morning all in the Main street.

Thanks for all the replies/info

@braddun:whats the difference?
    @postitnote:Yes the "main" route up the motorway etc,no tolls/long journey so no point going backroads

Looking at all these places and seeing a lot of towns/Cities and thinking hassle with parking (maybe not so much at the time we will be there) or going off route to get to them

I will keep The Allotment Bistro Restaurant in mind for when we are staying in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You are giving yourself an unnecessary massive pain in the hole diverting into Belfast to get breakfast, especialy if it's on a weekday.

The traffic into Belfast on the M-way is utterly horrendous. It's practically a car park all the way from Moira to Belfast until after 9.30am.

As suggested, if you must have a stop breakfast try Hillsborough.

Personally, I'd have breakfast at home and get straight to the destination. You will not die of starvation as the drive is only 3.5-4 hours, tops.

If arriving at the end of teh A1 at aound 8.00-0900 on a weekday, I'd forget about going via Belfast and would go to up Antrim instead and join the M2 there.

el tel wrote: »
    You are giving yourself an unnecessary massive pain in the hole diverting into Belfast to get breakfast, especialy if it's on a weekday.

The traffic into Belfast on the M-way is utterly horrendous. It's practically a car park all the way from Moira to Belfast until after 9.30am.

As suggested, if you must have a stop breakfast try Hillsborough.

Personally, I'd have breakfast at home and get straight to the destination. You will not die of starvation as the drive is only 3.5-4 hours, tops.

If arriving at the end of teh A1 at aound 8.00-0900 on a weekday, I'd forget about going via Belfast and would go to up Antrim instead and join the M2 there.

That’s what I was thinking, ok to pull off to a hotel just off the motorway or say going through an actual village. We usually stop to break the journey, change driver and have a breakfast out to start the holidays

I have no data roaming or separate sat nav so can’t rely on that to direct me around the traffic. But its handy to know where to expect bad traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Bring a map, or print out AA routeplanner route info before you go.

Have fun. If you have never been to the Giant's Causewat before, make the most of it. Because you'll never want to go back. :pac:

el tel wrote: »
    Bring a map, or print out AA routeplanner route info before you go.

Have fun. If you have never been to the Giant's Causewat before, make the most of it. Because you'll never want to go back. :pac:

I have the Nokia Here app on my phone, but as its set to offline mode it cant/wont pick up on traffic etc

Will do thanks,I dont expect much,but like when we where in Sligo and went to Knock, we are in Belfast so might as well go up to the causeway.

Advertisement