Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silicone Cap Recommendations

• 17-11-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Searched the archives but haven't really found an answer....
    Middle-aged male silicone swim cap recommendations required.
    Having recently purchased a Speedo Silicone cap I was finding it a bit too tight around the 'band' and my ears were sore for a few hours after sessions (no allergies, just the compression of the cap). As fate would have it our cat spent a pleasant few hours killing that cap and I'm on the hunt for another.
    Is there a slightly wider/softer silicone hat than the aforementioned one?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I have accrued some latex and silicone hats from a couple events but I have to say the best hat I got was from the swimming pool itself that sold latex hat, its strong, stretchy and snug on my head.

Is there any particular reason your looking for a silicone hat?

The silicone hat I have is also very good but I too find it a little tight, I believe this is more so down to the thickness of the material, they generally tend to be thicker then say latex hats.

Thats just my 2 cents. If you are looking for a silicone hat I would recommend Arena or Aqua Sphere

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

biomed32: Thanks for the recommendations.
    To be honest, I was working under the assumption that latex caps have fallen out of favour and silicone or lycra were only options. Until now I've been a recreational swimmer and the branded lycra caps have sufficed. However I'm doing a good bit more pool swimming now and figured I should at least look the part at the masters sessions :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have you tried the Speedo silicone caps for longer hair? Now, while I am a woman with longish hair, and so the cap was a godsend in that it wasn't riding up around my ears anymore after a session, I find that it's generally roomier than the regular caps. I was also getting headaches from my old cap after swimming, as the rim would press into my forehead, but I haven't had any problems with this one. Got mine from Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

cmac wrote: »
    biomed32: Thanks for the recommendations.
    To be honest, I was working under the assumption that latex caps have fallen out of favour and silicone or lycra were only options. Until now I've been a recreational swimmer and the branded lycra caps have sufficed. However I'm doing a good bit more pool swimming now and figured I should at least look the part at the masters sessions :-)

Hey there, I hear you. I'm a five day a week swimmer but very far off masters. I just do it for the enjoyment. I've never fallen for the cloth hats, hate them with a passion. Your best bet is to have a go of a few different types, either buy a few hats or get a loan. I also believe most masters clubs sell their team hats which are silicone but I may be way off the mark. Regardless best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Thanks everyone for the inputs. By way of update I'm pleased to report that I ordered an Arena Poolish cap (the one with the fetching shark detail ;-) ) and can state that it is a much better fit, for my head at least, than my previous cap.
    The silicone seems 'softer', perhaps thinner, but did not cause any sore ears or headaches/discomfort. Delighted with the feel of it on.
    I also have an Arena Classic Silicone Cap that I'll try at the next session and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I bought one from the charity irish premature babies and it is perfect, it was made by the crowd that did the swimming hats for the UK swimming team. Don't know if the still sell them or not but worth a try. I got 3 of them in case they ran out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I got a hat from a charity called Irish Premature Babies. Strange place I know.

I was talking to one of the volunteers and the hats were made by the same crowd that made hats from the UK swimming team.

As a girl with long hair tied up, most hats would ride up from the back of my head, driving me batty.

but these ones never did, I bought 3 of them as they were really good, that was 2 years ago so don't know if they still sell them or not.

Advertisement