Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 NewYork (merged)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CaoimheB95

Hi I know this is a really old post, but myself and 2 friends are heading Long Beach this Summer and I was wondering how did you find looking for accommodation?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peter31oct

As the title suggests, I am considering a J1, thinking maybe New York or else maybe a less popular spot (open to suggestions!)

It'd be handy to have people to share accomadation with. Post your suggestions below if you're in a similar position and are considering a J1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conwas28

Hi,
    I was wondering is anyone else going to East Hamptons this summer? Im going over with my friend at the start of June and was wondering where is everyone else staying? Where are others working? What are the clubs like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissInterested

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I am going to Yonkers, New York at the end of the month on the J1 Student Visa. I am currently looking for job for when I get over there but I am finding this task challenging.

If anyone could help me out and direct me in the right direction as to where I could get work it would be very much appreciated.

Thank You,
    Kind Regards,

Chloe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bobmaster

I'm a DCU student from Dublin and heading to New York on May 25th, if anyone is going around that date and wants to share a place or has room for one extra person in their place, give me a shout :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 D_Ben

bobmaster wrote: »
    I'm a DCU student from Dublin and heading to New York on May 25th, if anyone is going around that date and wants to share a place or has room for one extra person in their place, give me a shout :-)

What's up bobmaster. Myself and three friends are flying out the 25th too, two of them are getting sorted with a GAA club but myself and another friend are looking for a place to stay too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Same story every year. Whats this obsession with Long Beach, New York and Boston? I know of some students who returned home after a month because they could get no jobs. Why not venture further afield? We checked out other less popular cities such as Denver. Sent a few emails to the Irish societies there explaining our position, interests such as Irish music, GAA etc and they were delighted to give us a list of contacts to work on. We made plenty money ( a driving licence is ideal as you can get some good transport jobs often with out of state travel and overnights ) , a good night life and excursions to the Rockies, Vegas etc. and not competing for work with the Hispanics etc

D_Ben wrote: »
    What's up bobmaster. Myself and three friends are flying out the 25th too, two of them are getting sorted with a GAA club but myself and another friend are looking for a place to stay too.

Cool, are you'se thinking of staying in a hostel over there until you find a place or are you trying to find a place before you fly out? Either way we could all look for somewhere if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D_Ben

bobmaster wrote: »
    Cool, are you'se thinking of staying in a hostel over there until you find a place or are you trying to find a place before you fly out? Either way we could all look for somewhere if you want.

We're looking at maybe staying in nycsummerdorm, $550 a month in a four bed dorm. It's on a campus in Brooklyn on the main subway lines into the centre of the city. Be cool for partys and its 24/7 security so its safe.

We're looking at maybe staying in nycsummerdorm, $550 a month in a four bed dorm. It's on a campus in Brooklyn on the main subway lines into the centre of the city. Be cool for partys and its 24/7 security so its safe.

I just had a look at their website and done a bit of research. The area isn't the best for crime to be honest, but it's not the worst either. At least there's security as you say, and I definitely would prefer to be staying where there's a good few people our own age and for parties, etc.

So unless I can find something better as far as the area is concerned, it sounds pretty good. When are you'se thinking of booking something?

• Advertisement

I've just sent you a PM there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

Hey there Im an Irish Girl living in Rockaway Queens NYC by the beach ! I will be going back to Ireland from the 25th- 16th of June. My room with a double bed will be available for short term , I could work it out that the sublet could be for a month. Great place to get settled into the city. 5 Mins from beautiful Rockaway beach and 45 min train ride to Brooklyn/Manhattan PM me for details

<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kbrady92

Hi, I'm hoping to do the J1 visa in New York this summer from July. 'm finding the whole process quite confusing. Is anyone else planning this?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

I'm also planning on going to new york, i signed up with sayit/go4less and so far it's been pretty straight forward. Just follow their 10 steps to a j1 and you should be fine. The tricky part will be finding accommodation and a job. Do you have any specific questions?

Advertisement