Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The bench press and the keyboard

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dor843088 wrote: »
    There was no double knee bend in that lift . It was shakey because of max effort but double k ee bend I didnt see . Had he locked out harder I reckon hed have got it in the idfpa and iv seen much much worse pass for world records (andy bolton comes to mind). I know different feds different standards. I completely agree tho you're on thin ice with it. Heres andy Boltons lift is locked out ?

3 things;

1) There was significant arguments at the time about Andy Bolton's lift. It was not locked out. His grip was slipping. And he never finished the pull. You can see all of that in the video. But he got it anyway. It shouldn't have been given, but it was the WPO days, and if there was enough weight on the bar, you got anything the looked like a lift.

2) The OP is not Andy Bolton. He's not Thierry Henry. Nor is he any other lifter or sports person who's ever gotten a dodgy call in his or her favour. Just because you MIGHT get away with it, doesn't mean you should try do as little as possible. Never leave it in the hands of the judges.

3) Judging in powerlifting is opinion based. There was a double knee bend. I'm speaking my opinion as a qualified powerlifting referee who's seen thousands of lifts good and bad in competition. Unlike some people at national level, I don't give a **** if I make someone unhappy with a call, I wouldn't give a lift.

It being near max is irrelevant. I bet if you looked at lighter lifts you wouldn't see the double knee bend. So there shouldn't be one on max effort. Look at the best lifters in the world - their 1RMs look mostly the same as their warm ups for a reason.

If the OP has any intention of going and lifting internationally, he'll be judged to a much higher standard than he would be at home. He looks like a reasonably talented lad who could go on and hit some nice numbers. Why would you set him up from the start to potentially have problems in competition when it comes to performance criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hanley wrote: »
    Never leave it in the hands of the judges

^ The key take home.

OP, good programming and training right and it won't be an issue.

If you're questioning the validity of a lift, you're better off assuming you won't be getting it.

Like the fable, OP, the tortoise built his lifts, the hare chased maxes. The tortoise pulled more at the nationals.

QED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Goals at the moment are to hit DL 250kg SQ 220kg Bench 120kg by the 19th of December (day of last college exam) .....

To be uber critical. You're ignoring your goals.

Arguably, you could achieve your dead and squat in this time by just maintaining your current levels and not attempting your 1 RPM again while focusing on your form. You're getting some great, knowledgeable and free advice on form.

I have little doubt you could achieve your bench goal if you actually programmed for it over the next few weeks. You're focusing on your strongest rather than your weakest.

So, why not try and get some structured bench programme and attack this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Hanley wrote: »
    3 things;

1) There was significant arguments at the time about Andy Bolton's lift. It was not locked out. His grip was slipping. And he never finished the pull. You can see all of that in the video. But he got it anyway. It shouldn't have been given, but it was the WPO days, and if there was enough weight on the bar, you got anything the looked like a lift.

2) The OP is not Andy Bolton. He's not Thierry Henry. Nor is he any other lifter or sports person who's ever gotten a dodgy call in his or her favour. Just because you MIGHT get away with it, doesn't mean you should try do as little as possible. Never leave it in the hands of the judges.

3) Judging in powerlifting is opinion based. There was a double knee bend. I'm speaking my opinion as a qualified powerlifting referee who's seen thousands of lifts good and bad in competition. Unlike some people at national level, I don't give a **** if I make someone unhappy with a call, I wouldn't give a lift.

It being near max is irrelevant. I bet if you looked at lighter lifts you wouldn't see the double knee bend. So there shouldn't be one on max effort. Look at the best lifters in the world - their 1RMs look mostly the same as their warm ups for a reason.

If the OP has any intention of going and lifting internationally, he'll be judged to a much higher standard than he would be at home. He looks like a reasonably talented lad who could go on and hit some nice numbers. Why would you set him up from the start to potentially have problems in competition when it comes to performance criteria?

Fair enough. My point was he may have gotten it in terms of the hitching from what iv seen. Would you give a lift if theres any shaking ? By the very nature of it youll be knee bending slightly when shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

The cut story was probably my 8kg cut in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

instagram.com /p/vuF8_Eo3ng/?modal=true

Get a new gym or buy some metal plates on Donedeal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

And it was Hanley's red lucozade (my fav)!

Advertisement