Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is England '90 in 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is strange seeing Thomas Turgoose (Shaun) grown up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Here we go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Great intro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Lip up to his backdoor tricks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This is awful so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm enjoying it. Woody singing 'I've gone too farrrr' was hilarious.

ollie1 wrote: »
    This is awful so far

I disagree. This is purely a introductory episode, familiarise yourself with character etc. Knowing Shane Meadows it will get very dark in the coming weeks.

I've found to be quite good, some funny sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm enjoying it but just like 86 and 88 the first episode was always the slowest

Anyone know what the song was at the end?

Woody's conversation with his parents was funny. I quite enjoyed that now. Shaun is gone so grown up. This is another reason I like the gaps between the series. Characters age realistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It was good. As good as the rest of the series. Are some here first time viewers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the scene at the snooker table was comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I thought it got off to a poor start but improved as the episode went along. Also Vicky McClure is a great actress.

Plus Meadows never seems to go down the Nick Love route and turn it into a 90s retro throwback. The shows defiantly has an authentic feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

found it very disappointing, coming from a huge fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I loved it and the music was superb. Must dig out my Stone Roses & Happy Mondays albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It was slow and uneventful but I was expecting that from the first episode. It was the wife's first sample of This is England (I was trying to explain some of the character backgrounds without giving too much away in spoilers - quite difficult) and she enjoyed it and will watch the back catalogue.

"Don't lez off in front of my kids" had the pair of us in stitches well into the ad break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

theteal wrote: »
    It was slow and uneventful but I was expecting that from the first episode. It was the wife's first sample of This is England (I was trying to explain some of the character backgrounds without giving too much away in spoilers - quite difficult) and she enjoyed it and will watch the back catalogue.

"Don't lez off in front of my kids" had the pair of us in stitches well into the ad break!

I enjoyed it too but largely nothing happened. I guess that may be the sign of a good show, when the acting and shooting is so good that you just roll with it regarding the story. As previous series have shown, we will be knocked over by something pretty hard hitting soon, so enjoy the good times.

Woody is a great character and the actor that plays him is excellent (and always has been) he gets some fantastic comedy lines, but his presence and body language just makes you believe every thing he does or says.

My line of the night was when he was describing Lols family as being normal:
    "Oh yeah I forgot about the Dad and the hammer thing"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

It was good. As good as the rest of the series. Are some here first time viewers?

I am, and I thought it was a bit meh.

Maybe it's just because we are in the internet age and all of that but I didn't get how of a group of Northerners in 1990, only the bearded lad had half a clue as to who the likes of the Stone Roses and the rest of the Madchester scene were, despite the fact the scene was going strong there from about 87 and was nationwide by the summer of 1989 the rest of them hadn't even heard of them. I also found it a bit odd the way the characters were only showing to be drinking and dong speed at the rave yet were floating around the place seemingly melted on e's, which of course was the defining drug of the era as much as LSD and weed were of the late 60's counterculture. Did channel 4 have some moral objection to clearly showing and thus glorifying ecstasy use ?

Given the way that they edit Simpsons episodes of pretty much any scene remotely edgy it wouldn't surprise me. It's hard to believe 4 was once considered a bit of an anti establishment firebrand.

The 90's documentary that followed t was very good mind, some soundtrack to it if you leave out the Nirvana rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Good start, sniff bangin' one might say. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Slow and uneventful maybe.. but the TIE 86 and 88 definitely were definitely funnier and had a higher quality of writing IMO. That's not to say it wasn't enjoyable.. just definitely the weakest of the three openers IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the scene at the snooker table was comedy gold

what was that about?? couldn't make head no tail of it.....the dialog is hard to grasp with the regional accents, i'll have to use the subtitles i suppose

btw...what were they smoking in the flat??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

philstar wrote: »
    what was that about?? couldn't make head no tail of it.....the dialog is hard to grasp with the regional accents, i'll have to use the subtitles i suppose

btw...what were they smoking in the flat??

The scene at the Snooker table was sniffbanging and they were smoking hash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sniffbanging?? never heard of that before...was it all the rage back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I know it's early days but I thought this was a very poor effort. It really just felt like watching Grange Hill but with swearing and drugs. Woody comes off as a disingenuous arse and the Flip and Iggy scenes were terrible.

Maybe they should have just left it alone. I'll watch the next episode all the same, still hoping that it picks up a bit.

fryup wrote: »
    sniffbanging?? never heard of that before...was it all the rage back then?

I think the blonde guy just made it up so he could shag that girl. She seemed gullible enough to believe something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I know it's early days but I thought this was a very poor effort.

i agree

Long lingering shots of people dancing doesn't make good drama, just a lazy way of filling time

maybe it will improve

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Movie and a recap were on film4 last night so I recorded them. Currently watching the movie.

Weren't the previous series nightly? I may wait until the last week to start watching the new one

Having never watched any of it,I recorded the movie from Film Four and watched it last night.I will watch 86 & 88 on ALL4 and then 90 on CH4.

Amazing acting from Thomas Turgoose considering what he was going through in his private life during filming (mother died just after filming,from cancer).Stephen Graham was brilliant as Combo and he went on to star in Boardwalk Empire where he was brilliant again as Al Capone!

Regarding the Falklands conflict,it just showed what a pointless war and waste of young mens lives.Thatcher was some moo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

i agree

Long lingering shots of people dancing doesn't make good drama, just a lazy way of filling time

maybe it will improve

I think they were just trying to show the vibe from raves, there's a generation who won't know what it was like, the whole euphoria thing when ecstasy replaced alcohol. The only thing that really bothered me was the scruffy state of Woody in the filthy t-shirt with the dirty beard.

• Advertisement

I think they were just trying to show the vibe from raves, there's a generation who won't know what it was like, the whole euphoria thing when ecstasy replaced alcohol. The only thing that really bothered me was the scruffy state of Woody in the filthy t-shirt with the dirty beard.

I liked it as his style has always been heavily inspired by the times. This is his plainest or most mundane look to date but it's one that matches the gimmickless of the 90s quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I liked it as his style has always been heavily inspired by the times. This is his plainest or most mundane look to date but it's one that matches the gimmickless of the 90s quite well.

The intro had a lot of heavy topics like the poll tax riots, strangeway prison riot, herione needles etc... But the episode was wishy washy and didn't deal with any heavy topics... I expect things to ramp up in the second episode....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

i agree

maybe it will improve

I wouldn't judge it on the basis of one episode, anymore than I'd judge a novel after one chapter. Really think it's only at the end you can look back and decide if it was a satisfying story, well told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

This is a slow episode.
    I feel something big is on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Slow and heavy but very real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Just when I was thinking it would be another filler type episode with not a whole lot happening like last week that ending happened, Shane Meadows knows how to do drama that's for sure! Have a feeling the final two episodes will be pretty bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Jesus the ending was brutal upsetting. Nothing I can say about it really.

I'm a newbie to this show so I can only apologize if this is a very stupid question

Woody lying on couch wrapped around yer man, with his girlfriend sitting beside him... Are the two men just friends or what?

Thanks

I'm loving this so far. I really don't mind that it's slow paced at all. It will only get more morose as the series goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Lisha wrote: »

I'm a newbie to this show so I can only apologize if this is a very stupid question

Woody lying on couch wrapped around yer man, with his girlfriend sitting beside him... Are the two men just friends or what?

Thanks

Yeah, mates is all. I would record the rest of the episodes and in the meanwhile, go back, start at the beginning with the film, then '86 and '88.

This is all about their journey and the context of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lisha wrote: »

Thanks
    they've all been through a lot together!!

Meadows always nails the drugs scenes....the scene at the hippy camp was 100%

Anyone spot Herbie from "Dead mans shoes" last night??? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That episode was comedy gold with some outstanding acting throughout.

Anyone know what car Harvey was driving last night? I really felt sorry for Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That episode was comedy gold with some outstanding acting throughout.
    Thomas Turgoose is the best he's been this year IMO..

ah nuts, i forgot about this last night. is it repeated during the week?

• Advertisement

ah nuts, i forgot about this last night. is it repeated during the week?

I think it is. Check your TV guide anyway.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Anyone know what car Harvey was driving last night? I really felt sorry for Kelly.
    is this one????

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/vauxhall-chevette_3-door_3.jpg

Basq wrote: »
    Thomas Turgoose is the best he's been this year IMO..
    his acting in the scene with the older lady was classic sean!!

Was there a 5 door version of that car? Kelly and Gadget should get together. He'd look after her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Anyone spot Herbie from "Dead mans shoes" last night??? :)

Yeah I saw him. Took me a minute to remember that Dead Man's Shoes isn't a part of the same world. He's aged a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement