Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is England '90 in 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I saw him. Took me a minute to remember that Dead Man's Shoes isn't a part of the same world. He's aged a bit.
    he's class! hope he turns up again

• Registered Users Posts: 19 crossroads15

Really enjoying this series so far but is it just me or does anyone else have trouble hearing what their actually saying. I dont have a clue sometimes

That scene where Shaun is talking to the older woman about his dead father & the other one where Kelly is getting taken advantage of, are the two stand out scenes for me. Really powerful

Was that Helen Behan (the Nurse) in woody's garden?? thought i heard an irish accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

It certainly turned bleak last night. I thought the contrast between Ecstasy use and Crack use in the 90's was so well done with the others partying in the field while Kelly's downward spiral continued in the caravan in a whole other sinister spectrum. Very difficult to watch, but good that they didn't gloss over the drug problem of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was that Helen Behan (the Nurse) in woody's garden?? thought i heard an irish accent

Yeah I think it was.

It certainly turned bleak last night. I thought the contrast between Ecstasy use and Crack use in the 90's was so well done with the others partying in the field while Kelly's downward spiral continued in the caravan in a whole other sinister spectrum. Very difficult to watch, but good that they didn't gloss over the drug problem of the time.
    i find shanes drug scenes are always on the button...even the way higgy and flip despite being bon jovi fans have bonded over ecstacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

It's repeated on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'm pretty sure it is, I loved that detail. That nurse was amazing to Lol, it's great they've become friends later on.

biZrb wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is, I loved that detail. That nurse was amazing to Lol, it's great they've become friends later on.
    great story about Helen meeting Shane in a pub in drogheda or somewhere in louth/meath and how she's married with 4 kids but always wanted to act.....few weeks later Shane calls her and offers her the part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

That's amazing!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Shane Meadows really knows how to depict drugs. The whole scene at the wig wam area was perfectly shot, never seen ecstasy shot so well. Kelly's scenes were harrowing. Always forget how bleak This Is England is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

First two episodes have set the scene very well, I think. Some good comedic scenes too. Flip and Iggy are unlikely additions to the gang but their weird co-dependent relationship makes for a chuckle. Hopefully the last two episodes make for some sort of crisis or climax, and that's what things like Combo's parole will be about. I have to imagine imagine that Milky will have objections to Combo's stay considering that Combo beat Milky to within an inch of his life at the end of the film.

I find it funny how some of the relationships have changed over the years, particularly between Harvey and Shaun. In the film, to begin, Harvey taunts Shaun about his deceased father in front of the whole playground- "How many people can you fit in a mini? Three in the back, two in the front, and your f**kin' dad in the ashtray!" - and now they're best mates. Even Shaun and Flip looked to be making up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Really enjoying this series so far but is it just me or does anyone else have trouble hearing what their actually saying. I dont have a clue sometimes

That scene where Shaun is talking to the older woman about his dead father & the other one where Kelly is getting taken advantage of, are the two stand out scenes for me. Really powerful

Those 2 scenes have stayed in my thoughts since.
    The juxtaposition of the effects a positive or negative relationship with a father were staggeringly displayed.
    Both heartbreaking for totally different reasons.

briany wrote: »
    First two episodes have set the scene very well, I think. Some good comedic scenes too. Flip and Iggy are unlikely additions to the gang but their weird co-dependent relationship makes for a chuckle. Hopefully the last two episodes make for some sort of crisis or climax, and that's what things like Combo's parole will be about. I have to imagine imagine that Milky will have objections to Combo's stay considering that Combo beat Milky to within an inch of his life at the end of the film.

I find it funny how some of the relationships have changed over the years, particularly between Harvey and Shaun. In the film, to begin, Harvey taunts Shaun about his deceased father in front of the whole playground- "How many people can you fit in a mini? Three in the back, two in the front, and your f**kin' dad in the ashtray!" - and now they're best mates. Even Shaun and Flip looked to be making up.
    Harvey could do quite well with this acting thing he seems to have plenty of natural talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

As someone already mentioned no one can replicate drug experiences as well as Meadows.
    When Flip said “I’m not feeling anything, Harvey” right after taking the pill was comedy gold.
    Gadget gets agonizingly close to getting Kelly to open up, but just falls short:(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

If it's true that the best TV has you laughing and crying in the space of an hour then This is England 90 on Sunday was fantastic TV.

I have never seen ectasy depicted so well in film or tv before. It just captured the mad love buzz chatting to randomers rush all whilst chewing the face off yourself better than anything I have seen before. But it also brilliantly (and horribly) depicted the ****ed up downside where control is lost and people are taken advantage of. I could have reached into the screen and pulled Kelly away from those scumbags if I could. My heart broke and was in tears for Gadget afterwards when he tried to be there for Kelly. He still obviously loves here in every way and it broke his heart to see her abused by others and by herself.

There's a lot of complaints about Flip & Higgy getting too much time on screen but I am cracking up anytime they appear, the "Des Walker" line last week was brilliance!

Full props to Michael Socha (Harvey) this season. We never really got in depth with his character except for the hinted at troubled domestic life in '86 and as a foil for Gadget's idiocy, but I've a feeling he could be on a course to fall out with his old pal in the coming episodes, that scene in the car where he assaults him and discards his map could be a harbinger of things to come. I'm not sure how much more he has done but he is superb in "The Unloved" where he stars alongside his sister; Misfits alumni Lauren Socha (Kelly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Flip and Iggy are a bit too slapstick for me, but that Des Walker line was hilarious.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Flip and Iggy are a bit too slapstick for me, but that Des Walker line was hilarious.
    the thing is with TIE is that it's partly shane's biography, and there's bound to many strange things showing up now and again that can't be dreamed up by a writer! I agree about Flip and Higgy but at the same time Ecstacy does bring unlikely people together and i'm guessing that's what they represent. ....they do seem far too comedy gold for serious drama but sure F** it

ps

i'd love to know where sniff banging came from, sounds like a prank.

was there a few subtle looks from milky at lol during the bbq?

I have a feeling it's going to be Milkys series!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gadget trying to get Kelly to open up, knowing she had been hurt was for me the standout scene. Great acting and heart breaking because she just couldn't bring herself to tell him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I can't believe people slated the first episode. Shane Meadows has never failed to deliver on anything, the man is a genius.

This series isn't going to end well for most of the characters I think, there will definitely be a death in the last episode, Kelly looking the most likely at the moment.

Woody surely must be concerned with Combo and Lols past but he owes him at the same time, can't wait for the next episode.

Ruu wrote: »
    Woody surely must be concerned with Combo and Lols past but he owes him at the same time, can't wait for the next episode.

I just can't wait to see Stephen Graham on screen again, I love the Combo character.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Gadget trying to get Kelly to open up, knowing she had been hurt was for me the standout scene. Great acting and heart breaking because she just couldn't bring herself to tell him.

I found that bit kind of creepy, to me it felt like he was hitting on her when she was vulnerable. I was waiting for him to make a move on her.

I found that bit kind of creepy, to me it felt like he was hitting on her when she was vulnerable. I was waiting for him to make a move on her.

He has loved her for years, he definitely wasn't hitting on her.

I just can't wait to see Stephen Graham on screen again, I love the Combo character.
    Looking forward to combo getting out....he'll rattle the cage a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

He would have done something if he had sinister motives but he didn't.

Though I was afraid he might during my scene, but Gadget has always been shown to have a good heart. He wouldn't have it in him to be opportunistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Anyone have a clue who sang the two major songs featured in Episode 2? The first one sounded a bit like the Beta Band. Lyrics something like "You could take my time, and make it matter". The second one was when that girl was getting taken advantage of. Lyrics along the lines of "Let the prime numbers rise". It's really bugging me. No answers when I pump the lyrics into Google nor when I use Soundhound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

I know this was used...

Thanks. Looking at the lyrics of that song, it's definitely not one of the two morose songs played at the hippie party during the acid trip scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

in this episode Lol says something like "he (combo) hasn't got anyone" to which Woody responses "well, at least we got a year of happiness". I don't think Woody is going to take this at all well.

I have a feeling something big is going to happen between Kelly and Combo

Jon Stark wrote: »
    He would have done something if he had sinister motives but he didn't.

Though I was afraid he might during my scene, but Gadget has always been shown to have a good heart. He wouldn't have it in him to be opportunistic.

It's just that when you flash back to what happened to her in the caravan and then he's sitting there kissing her and hugging her after she's been mauled by 3 guys, it's claustrophobic and it seemed that he might hit on her, which would have been awful. She plays the character very well, and it's hard to watch someone whose basically becoming an empty shell as she spirals further down.

The three songs by ToyDrum with the vocals of the late Gavin Clark of Unkle really add to the atmosphere

It's just that when you flash back to what happened to her in the caravan and then he's sitting there kissing her and hugging her after she's been mauled by 3 guys, it's claustrophobic and it seemed that he might hit on her, which would have been awful. She plays the character very well, and it's hard to watch someone whose basically becoming an empty shell as she spirals further down.

I understand and I felt uncomfortable myself as I was waiting for Kelly to lash out at him.

I'm glad that Kelly has taken on a more prominent role anyway. It's a nuanced and understated performance, free of melodrama. I'm really looking forward to the next two episodes as I think the actress, Chanel Cresswell, could well outshine Vicky McClure. It's great that she's finally getting the opportunity to do so.

Gadget is a gentle giant type character, wouldn't hurt a fly.

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The three songs by ToyDrum with the vocals of the late Gavin Clark of Unkle really add to the atmosphere

Holy ****, I didn't know he had died. I'm shocked.

introduced a friend to TIE the movie last night....now onto the series!!!

man....some buzz watching the movie again. Whatever happened to puke and kes and milkys girlfriend!

still cracks me up..
    "hey combo..."
    "what"
    "do you not think....eh......"
    "what"
    "eh.....you don't really believe all that **** do you???"
    "slams on the brakes"

Gadget is a gentle giant type character, wouldn't hurt a fly.

Ah, but don't forget how suddenly things go from nice to bleak in the world of Shane Meadows:D

introduced a friend to TIE the movie last night....now onto the series!!!

man....some buzz watching the movie again. Whatever happened to puke and kes and milkys girlfriend!

still cracks me up..
    "hey combo..."
    "what"
    "do you not think....eh......"
    "what"
    "eh.....you don't really believe all that **** do you???"
    "slams on the brakes"
    Not sure about Kes but I was reading recently that when C4 gave the greenlight for 86, they requested that the cast was trimmed. Milky's girlfriend was the first casualty but the reason why Pukey was dropped was because the actor wasn't available at the time of filming.

Thus, Pukey's lines were more or less given to Harvey, and that's why Harvey going from bully to friend came across as a bit random.

The actor of course for Pukey is Jack O'Connell. :) Shame that he couldn't do 86, but the guy who plays Harvey has done a good job. Certainly not a weak link.

Another character no longer in the series is Meggy, the inappropriately old member of the gang. He apparently died while on the toilet, according to a tweet from a producer of the show. Banjo's gone, too. I think there was Puke's buddy as well.

All in all, the gang has stayed pretty well in tact. I think Milky's the only one who's really stayed true to the skinhead thing as seen in the original film. At least he's not really been shown to delve into any other fashion. Smell doesn't seem to associate with the gang anymore. Understandable, I suppose.

briany wrote: »
    Another character no longer in the series is Meggy, the inappropriately old member of the gang. He apparently died while on the toilet, according to a tweet from a producer of the show. Banjo's gone, too. I think there was Puke's buddy as well.

All in all, the gang has stayed pretty well in tact. I think Milky's the only one who's really stayed true to the skinhead thing as seen in the original film. At least he's not really been shown to delve into any other fashion. Smell doesn't seem to associate with the gang anymore. Understandable, I suppose.

Didn't Meggy have a heart attack on the loo in This Is England 86?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Didn't Meggy have a heart attack on the loo in This Is England 86?

Yup but he came out of it towards the end of the season.

I think the point about Meggy and Banjo was that they more appeared to be Combo's friends than anything and once he was out of the picture they wouldn't have had as much to do with the gang as he did. Then again perhaps Meadows was never thinking long term once but once '86 was such a success he naturally wanted the show to develop hence he concentrated on the younger characters this time around and a bit in '88, leaving less space for Meggy and Banjo, whose comic relief is now largely provided by Flip & Higgy

Yup but he came out of it towards the end of the season.

I think the point about Meggy and Banjo was that they more appeared to be Combo's friends than anything and once he was out of the picture they wouldn't have had as much to do with the gang as he did. Then again perhaps Meadows was never thinking long term once but once '86 was such a success he naturally wanted the show to develop hence he concentrated on the younger characters this time around and a bit in '88, leaving less space for Meggy and Banjo, whose comic relief is now largely provided by Flip & Higgy

Banjo was someone who was entirely Combo's friend, as he was someone Combo had done time with in jail and then introduced to the gang at the party. It's unknown, really, whether Meggy and Combo were friends before the film, but it would be a good explanation. It's also weird that Banjo became, briefly, a part of the gang in '86. You'd think Milky would have wanted nothing to do with him after he did nothing to stop Combo's attack at the climax of TIE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

does milky hate combo after the events of the film ?

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    does milky hate combo after the events of the film ?

I think we're gonna find out

Advertisement