Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is England '90 in 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah, but we musn't forget that Combo has always been in love with Lol.;) It's very tempting for us all to assume that Combo is a reformed character when all we've really seen is the speech he made to the parole board, which may well just have been a lie, and of course he took the blame for Lol because he loves her. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. One things seems certain though, no happy ending.:(

I feel like Combo would have done the same thing for any of the gang, if they were in the same kind of trouble. I saw it as a sacrifice to achieve some sort of redemption for himself. An act of nobility to atone for the act of brutality seen at the end of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    I feel like Combo would have done the same thing for any of the gang, if they were in the same kind of trouble. I saw it as a sacrifice to achieve some sort of redemption for himself. An act of nobility to atone for the act of brutality seen at the end of the film.
    didn't he sort of take the rap for woody in the film? Woody introduced him to shaun by saying he took a hit for him and kept him outta prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lolo62 wrote: »
    I didn't think the dinner scene was as great as everyone else here seems to. I'm not sure why but I found myself getting irritated like the actors were being self indulgent or something, well Woody and Lol anyway. I'm a weeper usually buy just found myself wishing the scene would end. The milky stuff was good but Woody and Lol did my head in.. In that scene anyway, and I usually love those two.

totally agree, that scene didn't do it for me.....the acting and the dialogue was completely OTT couldn't make head nor tail of what they were saying half the time had to switch on the subtitles
    lolo62 wrote: »
    Maybe it was just the idea of sitting the fam down to Sunday dinner to tell them you murdered their rapist father felt a bit too far fetched.

yes, it just didn't make sense why tell anyone??? everything was honky dory so why tell ...Lol telling her sister in a one to one would have been better and more believable ..but telling everyone around the dinner table didn't work for me

she told them coz combo was getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Milky is gonna box Combo's head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

He's gonna box the face off him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so? still no reason to rock the boat, they could have easily continued to keep it a secret

nah it just didn't ring true for me ....just done for "drama" purposes i think

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Combo was getting out & coming to stay with them.
    As far as Kelly was concerned, this was the violent man who murdered her father in cold blood, coming to stay with her sisters family. She might have had questions about it.
    Milky needed to be given a reason why the racist psychopath who beat him would be living in close proximity to his mixed-race daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Watched the original last night for the first time in aggges.

Couldn't believe the change in some of the cast, most noticeably Shaun. Two things I picked up on are:

1) Combo did his original bid to protect Woody, this is paralleled later with him taking the rap for Lol in the series.
    2) I struggled to work out Combo's motivation for the Milky beating, he just momentarily flipped out of jealousy to Milky, and the fact that Lol basically broke his heart just before. One interesting thing I picked up on was how Milky mentioned he had a big family, I am now certain he was on the phone to a family member in last weeks episode, explains the motivation and the "I love you" comment.

There's gonna be a showdown and somebody is getting caught in the crossfire, most likely Woody or Lol imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Big Game wrote: »
    Combo turned on him in the film as well, it's a possibility. Would Milky really be saying he loved him down the phone to him though? It wasn't even a 'I love you, man' sort of thing but that whole conversation was very odd......
    yeah the love you bit sounded more like it was for a partner or family member alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I reckon it's either his dad or one of his uncles. I'm from a big family and wouldn't be accustomed to telling a brother I love him over the phone, never mind a friend.

he could have been just cancelling 5-aside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

Perhaps...and it's a massive perhaps...The first series focused on Shaun and maybe it will end with him getting killed (by way of mistake etc) by combo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

fryup wrote: »
    totally agree, that scene didn't do it for me.....the acting and the dialogue was completely OTT couldn't make head nor tail of what they were saying half the time had to switch on the subtitles

yes, it just didn't make sense why tell anyone??? everything was honky dory so why tell ...Lol telling her sister in a one to one would have been better and more believable ..but telling everyone around the dinner table didn't work for me

Hallelujah! I was wondering if I'm getting a bit cynical in my old age. Didn't want to poop the party here by pressing the issue :)

One to one would have been the most realistic and respectful approach and the story line is already intense and hardcore enough without things playing out like that on top of it.
    It just seemed like TII was trying to live up to the hype a bit which is a pity. Characters really don't need to be practically clawing their own skin off for it to be moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

flended12 wrote: »
    Perhaps...and it's a massive perhaps...The first series focused on Shaun and maybe it will end with him getting killed (by way of mistake etc) by combo?

I think Shaun is based slightly on Meadows so don't see that happening. I think he'll have a happy ending and move off to University.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I've been getting a feeling Shaun is going to join the military, follow his Dad sort-of-thing. Did Meadows spend any time in the army or anything?

Really must give the film another watch, haven't seen it since it came out.

The shows are good but seem to be built around one big dramatic piece.

Edit: Wow I literally flicked through the film there as I don't have time to watch it tonight and it's 100% the same, actors have aged correctly and the film and music feel exactly the same as the show.

After that I really think they are best seen as one piece. I wasn't bothered about re-watching all of it before but I'm sure as hell going to watch it all again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Really must give the film another watch, haven't seen it since it came out.

The shows are good but seem to be built around one big dramatic piece.

Edit: Wow I literally flicked through the film there as I don't have time to watch it tonight and it's 100% the same, actors have aged correctly and the film and music feel exactly the same as the show.

After that I really think they are best seen as one piece. I wasn't bothered about re-watching all of it before but I'm sure as hell going to watch it all again now.

Watched the lot of it over the two weeks before 90 started was well worth doing. The narrative is very similar across them all, starts off lighthearted before plunging into dark territory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I've been getting a feeling Shaun is going to join the military, follow his Dad sort-of-thing. Did Meadows spend any time in the army or anything?

Nope, he did do a acting course which was bought up in 88, it's where he met Paddy Considine for the first time. As you already seen Shaun about to do photography course, which Shane did but dropped out off. I think Shaun will leave town at the end as Shane did to move to Burton, but him joining the military would be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

kleenex at the ready folks its going to be traumatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Fire roaring, beer in the fridge. Come on 9pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

K.C wrote: »
    Fire roaring, beer in the fridge. Come on 9pm!
    Just noticed it's longer than normal.. starting at 9 and not over til 10.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Waiting all week for this, actual butterflies in my tummy! Feel sick thinking about what the outcome is going to be. If someone dies the whole village will hear me wails of despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Basq wrote: »

Get with the programme basq, 100 minutes of heaven and hell! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Basq wrote: »

Yeah, its feature length. A lot can happen ina long episode. I'm worried about Woody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

K.C wrote: »
    Yeah, its feature length. A lot can happen ina long episode. I'm worried about Woody!

I'm worried about Milky's daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

It's bitter sweet, I'm really looking forard to it, but on the flip side tonight is probably the end of it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Ok, nearly time, hopefully everyone comes out of this ok. In the words of Ted Crilly; I might go for a bit of an ould pray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And we're on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Heart racing before anything has happened...

• Advertisement

Music has been class.

Fair play to Harvey but did I miss something about him being mad anti crack?

Anyone else cheer up when Shaun's ma stuck her head in the room?

Jon Stark wrote: »

Harvey's just into your softer party drugs. Soon as H comes on the scene it's bye-bye, and would you blame him?

Harvey's just into your softer party drugs. Soon as H comes on the scene it's bye-bye, and would you blame him?

I don't blame him at all, I just thought a little background would have been nice to explain his pretty cut and dry decision.

Feels like Kelly's going to end up on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Gadget has a very small wardrobe!

Shaun is a smooth criminal

Hard to take a fight scene with Gadge seriously with that ridiculous getup he's in.

You just want to give poor aul Gadget a hug

• Advertisement

Hard to take a fight scene with Gadge seriously with that ridiculous getup he's in.

It was the style of the time, I was that soldier!

Jon Stark wrote: »

Not crack, heroin. Was always a line between the party drugs and that ****.

Big Game wrote: »
    It was the style of the time, I was that soldier!

He looks like he's wearing a bus seat covering, and probably smells like one, too, considering he wears it so much.

Combo's not coming back, is he?

He looks like he's wearing a bus seat covering, and probably smells like one, too, considering he wears it so much.

Can't argue with that. ;)

2 deaths on the way? Kelly and Combo.

Woodies awkwardness after the slap was hilarious!

Flower girl!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Combos wailing had my heart in my stomach. I honestly felt sick for him.

• Advertisement

They made Kelly pretty simplistic there in the end. The inevitable lashing out at Gadget and telling him he's not a mate like he views her.

Advertisement