Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step down Voltage Transformer Advice

Options
  • 17-11-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I brought a Onkyo 515 Receiver and a Bose Acoustimass 6 surround sound back from America. (https://www.bose.ie/IE/en/home-and-personal-audio/home-cinema-and-sound-for-tv/home-cinema-speakers/acoustimass-6-speakers/)

I need to buy a step down transformer to power the receiver. I was advised to get a 400-450 Watt power transformer for this unit. Unfortunately it's not the easiest thing to get in-store but Maplin do have a tidy 300W unit for a reasonable price and I'm not far from a store.

My Question is will this be ok? It's for the sitting room of a house and will be powering the Bose speakers and maybe a second channel (house sound) but will never need to have the speakers at full power. If the speakers (5) are 100W each should I be getting a 500W transformer i.e. 5*100W?

Speaker Technical information
    Acoustimass 6 system:
    • Cube speakers:
    Five 2.5" (6.35 cm) TwiddlerTM speakers
    • Powered Acoustimass module:
    One 5.25" (13 cm) woofers
    System power rating
    Acoustimass 6 system:
    U.S./Canada:100-127V 50/60 Hz 135W
    Europe/Australia: 220-240V 50/60 Hz 135W
    Connectivity
    Acoustimass 6 system:
    Compatible with A/V receivers and amplifiers rated from 10 to150 watts per channel, rated from 4 to 8 ohms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Jesper wrote: »

System power rating
    Acoustimass 6 system:
    Europe/Australia: 220-240V 50/60 Hz 135W

This is the important bit.... It consumes 135Watts. So the Maplin 300W step up transformer is fine for the Bose unit.
    Do you have any power info for the Onkyo unit?
    Quick search on the Onkyo shows 480w power consumption at 220v. So a 500w transformer needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Quick search on the Onkyo shows 480w power consumption at 220v. So a 500w transformer needed here.

+1 Datasheet says 480W (Asian model 540W)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

This is the important bit.... It consumes 135Watts. So the Maplin 300W step up transformer is fine for the Bose unit.
    Do you have any power info for the Onkyo unit?

Thanks Knickerbocker. I was doing it in 'reverse' and looking at the speakers it seems. Below is some technical info I found for the Onkyo. So does it have to have a 500W power source then 'no question'?

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/downloads/2/0/6/7/4/ONKYO_TX-NR515_datasheet_EN.pdf
    General
    Power Supply AC 230 V~, 50 Hz
    (Asian Model:AC 220−240V~, 50/60 Hz)
    Power Consumption 480 W (Asian Model: 540 W)
    Standby Power Consumption
    0.2 W
    Dimensions (W x H x D) 435 x 173.5 x 328 mm
    Weight 9.2 kg (Asian Model: 9.6 kg)

Something like this then?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Factorykiss-Voltage-Converter-Transformnverts-to110v/dp/B00C1WNWI2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416223630&sr=1-2&keywords=500w+step+down+transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

If you can hide the transformer, go to a tool hire company and buy a 110V power tool transformer (they often even have them second hand <100euro ) you should have no worries about size

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Thanks Knickerbocker. I was doing it in 'reverse' and looking at the speakers it seems. Below is some technical info I found for the Onkyo. So does it have to have a 500W power source then 'no question'?

Something like this then?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Factorykiss-Voltage-Converter-Transformnverts-to110v/dp/B00C1WNWI2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416223630&sr=1-2&keywords=500w+step+down+transformer

That should do the trick, would cover both the Onkyo and Bose requirements.
    Power tool step down transformer may not be so good for audio equipment, they might not filter out mains noise which could be carried through the audio path as humm or buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

WEnt with the below. Postage was actually very fair. Thanks for help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldsource-ST-500-Watt-Voltage-Converter/dp/B00A9VWM4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416225479&sr=8-1&keywords=Goldsource+ST-500+500+Watt+Step+Down%2FUp+Voltage+Converter

Raggaroo wrote: »
    If you can hide the transformer, go to a tool hire company and buy a 110V power tool transformer (they often even have them second hand <100euro ) you should have no worries about size

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Good pick. I've been running a bunch of those 24/7 for over 8 years with no problems. Only minus is that the biggest ones (1500 watts+) can have a bit of audible hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭shmeee

Luck100 wrote: »
    Good pick. I've been running a bunch of those 24/7 for over 8 years with no problems. Only minus is that the biggest ones (1500 watts+) can have a bit of audible hum.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I got a

Goldsource ST-1500 1500 Watt Step Down/Up Voltage Converter

to power a Nutri Bullet which came from America.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADQIAF8/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

The problem is when I flick on the transformer, the power to the sockets in the house trip instantly.

I have tried the input at both 220v and 240v but same thing happens. Seems like a waste if can't get Nutri Bullet working now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

shmeee wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I got a

Goldsource ST-1500 1500 Watt Step Down/Up Voltage Converter

to power a Nutri Bullet which came from America.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADQIAF8/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

The problem is when I flick on the transformer, the power to the sockets in the house trip instantly.

I have tried the input at both 220v and 240v but same thing happens. Seems like a waste if can't get Nutri Bullet working now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does the circuit breaker trip if you try power on the transformer without the Nutri Bullet or anything else connected? Or only when you start up the Nutri Bullet? Electric motors have an initial surge of current when they turn on, which could be tripping your circuit breakers. Personally I would stay away from running anything with a motor on voltage converters as the motors are sensitive to the cycle (60 Hz for US, 50 Hs in Europe). The voltage converters only change voltage, they don't change the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭shmeee

Luck100 wrote: »
    Does the circuit breaker trip if you try power on the transformer without the Nutri Bullet or anything else connected? Or only when you start up the Nutri Bullet? Electric motors have an initial surge of current when they turn on, which could be tripping your circuit breakers. Personally I would stay away from running anything with a motor on voltage converters as the motors are sensitive to the cycle (60 Hz for US, 50 Hs in Europe). The voltage converters only change voltage, they don't change the cycle.

The breaker trips the minute I turn on the transformer with nothing plugged into it.

Reviews online said such products worked and customers in Ireland say also the same so said it would surely do the trick.

Gonna try the transformer in a different house tomorrow to see if it's just the house here. If not then I've a 100e door stopper!

• Advertisement

That's too bad. I think my biggest one is 2000 watts and never had a problem with the breakers in two different houses. It's possible there's a fault in the transformer and it's internally shorted. It should have its own little circuit breaker as well, but that might have a higher trip current than your house breaker. If it doesn't work in the other house then I'd say try to exchange it for another one or get a refund.

Advertisement