Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So annoyed

• 17-11-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

So the alternator went on my car on Friday I rang breakdown assistance to come tow in and my normal mechanic was gone away for a few days and I needed it sorted for work so the tow guy towed it to the nearest auto electrician.

The auto electrician rang me that I needed a new alternator that the parts couldn't be got to recondition it and I also needed a new battery.

I called my normal mechanic who had someone who would be able to recondition it so when I rang back to tell him this all of a sudden he was able to recondition it that he was only "recommending" I get a new a one I also quizzed him on a new battery as the tow truck guy had tested the battery and it was fine so turns out I didn't need a new battery either.

I agreed for him to just recondition the alternator as I would of had to pay to get it towed anywhere else. I went to collect it on Saturday and as he reversed it out of the garage a smell of burning and smoke was coming out of the alternator so he said he would have to have another look at it.

Where do I stand with this he obviously didn't repair it properly and I may now end up needing a new one after the smoking incident. I just don't trust him at all after trying to rip me off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

What make and model car and what was the fault with the alternator? Regulator/rectifier diodes cooked, brushes or armature worn? He might have fixed the obviously knackered bit under pressure from you, even against his own better judgement.

Why did you tell him to go ahead and recon it when he'd told you you needed a new one and a new battery? If that's enough to decide you can't trust him, why did you trust him to recon it instead of just taking it away?

The sparks could be right. You might have a well worn alternator that's better off replaced with a full recon unit and your battery might have taken dogs abuse due to the alternator fault. Just because the guy on the truck stuck a multimeter on it doesn't mean it'll take repeated heavy load etc.

Instead of taking his advice you decide you can't trust him and instead take as gospel what the mechanic says. The mechanic who's place the car isn't at. Where he can't see anything or test anything. Yeah, he can get parts to repair the alternator. That doesn't mean it's not still fubar'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

its a 08 Vauxhall Astra. I understand what your saying about maybe I did need a new one and if he had in fact advised that I can recondition it but I do recommend you get a new one I would have taken it into consideration. It was the fact that he specifically told me he couldn't recondition it because he had no parts he never mentioned anything about there being anything specifically wrong to avoid reconditioning it.

I let him recondition it as he had done it for a previous family member and they were very happy with the job I just felt he was trying to push the more expensive option on me.

With regard to the battery I asked him why I needed a new one and he couldn't even tell me or give me a specific reason as to why and he admitted that he had not checked or tested it.

I took the advise of my own mechanic yes who has worked on my car since I got it and would know it fairly well and how I treat it he recommended that I get it reconditioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

All fair points. If he told you that you NEED a new battery, then told you he didn't test it and that you actually don't need one, I'd be asking questions also. He must have some idea why he said you'd need a new battery, no? Or was he really just completely chancing his arm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

I really do think he was just chancing his arm in the hope that I wouldn't know any better or take the time to get a second opinion and would just hand over the money. I had no issue with him actually doing the reconditioning as I said he did a family members alternator with no issues.
    When I asked why I needed a new battery if it was working fine that morning the car had no previous issues of not starting including that morning and I just got a vague answer that I didn't have to get one but may need one in the future.
    I am just worried now as to any further damage after being done to the car after the smoking incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Most mechanics will buy a reconditioned one, quicker and cheaper for them. Unlikely he would have the test equipment needed to recondition it properly. Tell him to put the originial one back in car, get it jump started and drive to your normal guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Most mechanics will buy a reconditioned one, quicker and cheaper for them. Unlikely he would have the test equipment needed to recondition it properly. Tell him to put the originial one back in car, get it jump started and drive to your normal guy.
    if it's not charging and the battery is flat the chances are it won't make it to the op's mechanic.

from what im reading Id say the original alternator is in the car, being repaired rather than replaced?

Advertisement