Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Resident Bank Account

Options
  • 17-11-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am an Irish Citizen living abroad and would like to open a bank account in Ireland to make regular contributions. I will not require a credit card etc. The account will purely be used for savings.

Does anyone know of any banks that will open an account even though I am not currently a resident?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

I encountered a similar situation with a family member who is non-resident AND non-Irish.
    The critical issue was that the person opening the account needed to be present to open it...
    Their ultimate residency wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jsj

Hi Mort5000

Thanks for your reply. You're right, it seems opening an account can only be done in person at a branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I opened an account with KBC recently without going into the bank. Could try there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Why would you want to deposit money in an Irish bank and earn little to no interest on savings and pay DIRT on any interest you do get ??
    Surely you can earn better interest in whatever country you are in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

skippy2 wrote: »
    Why would you want to deposit money in an Irish bank and earn little to no interest on savings and pay DIRT on any interest you do get ??
    Surely you can earn better interest in whatever country you are in

It is not just that the interest rate is paltry but whatever meagre bit you do get the government sees fit to take 40% of it in DIRT

bluemartin wrote: »
    ...the government sees fit to take 40% of it in DIRT

I believe non-residents are exempt from DIRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Mort5000 wrote: »
    I believe non-residents are exempt from DIRT.

yeah but its a real pain going from this thread, you may have to declare it in whatever country you living in abroad

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=132937

bluemartin wrote: »
    yeah but its a real pain going from this thread, you may have to declare it in whatever country you living in abroad

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=132937

Yes, certainly, you SHOULD declare it where you're domiciled, but the 40% shouldn't scare off potential savers.
    However, the insanely low interest rates should! ;)

Advertisement