Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Says who? A daily visual appraisal tells me its briskly busy pretty much all day and packed out on weekend nights. They must have some eye-watering overheads if theyre struggling
    Sorry, I meant dun laoghaire in general, places shutting down and lots of pubs struggling there. So they probably got the place cheap and might not get away with higher prices as easily.

I hear forty foot bar is doing fine. The ferry service stopping might have hit them a bit compared to what they could be at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You can't buy any of the premises in the centre, all rent and all owned by big fund accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Except The Great Wood isn't actually part of the centre complex, they're part of the WestEnd complex which is a separate entitiy as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Here for the past hour or so. Kinda odd to see a bouncer so early on a Wed. Trouble recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

py2006 wrote: »
    Here for the past hour or so. Kinda odd to see a bouncer so early on a Wed. Trouble recently?

Trouble? Recently??? They've only been open two weeks approx.

I'd imagine it's just to establish a good status quo from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

January wrote: »
    Except The Great Wood isn't actually part of the centre complex, they're part of the WestEnd complex which is a separate entitiy as far as I am aware.

Yeah it's owned by a different fund. Rent is more expensive with them, That's why Halford's moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

amdublin wrote: »
    Trouble? Recently??? They've only been open two weeks approx.

I'd imagine it's just to establish a good status quo from the outset.

Maybe to beat the que back. You'll get in in good time, stay back, back, wait your turn. Were being overrun, chickens cross the road, Kentucky.

Reading the plaque outside on the car park side and had a chuckle to myself over their spelling of Coolmine. (see attachment).

Having said that, I remember seeing an old map of the area and it was spelt Coal Mine as opposed to Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

py2006 wrote: »
    Reading the plaque outside on the car park side and had a chuckle to myself over their spelling of Coolmine. (see attachment).

Having said that, I remember seeing an old map of the area and it was spelt Coal Mine as opposed to Coolmine.

I think the coolmine name is a derivative of the original name in that area coal mine.

amdublin wrote: »
    I think the coolmine name is a derivative of the original name in that area coal mine.

Do you know the history of that name. I didn't see it on an old map before alright but wasn't sure whether it was done in error or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

rubadub wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant dun laoghaire in general, places shutting down and lots of pubs struggling there. So they probably got the place cheap and might not get away with higher prices as easily.

I hear forty foot bar is doing fine. The ferry service stopping might have hit them a bit compared to what they could be at.

Ah yeah, thats certainly all correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Just in wetherspoons blackrock. €2.95 for a pint of staropramen and €2.50 for beamish. €1 more than the great wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

€1 less i should have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Started ordering food at 1827, just finished after 2000

Absolute mess again, said it to manager,also said it about portion sizes and he agreed. He brought over the main, then a girl brought over another one, she disappeared off with it. The manager portion was proper size, the girl brought over usual size and burger was single not double.

Not given 10c change, nice earner if you do that a few hundred times a hour

Had to keep pushing back cinema time for afterwards.

Very disappointed again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Sevice was VERY slow after about 9pm for sure.

But, drink was good, food was good, price was good. Would go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

jeffk wrote: »
    Started ordering food at 1827, just finished after 2000

Absolute mess again, said it to manager,also said it about portion sizes and he agreed. He brought over the main, then a girl brought over another one, she disappeared off with it. The manager portion was proper size, the girl brought over usual size and burger was single not double.

Not given 10c change, nice earner if you do that a few hundred times a hour

Had to keep pushing back cinema time for afterwards.

Very disappointed again

if service is so slow then they cant do it a few hundred times an hour

blueshed wrote:
    if service is so slow then they cant do it a few hundred times an hour

They serve more than food

quickbeam wrote:
    But, drink was good, food was good, price was good. Would go again.

This is What keeps me going back in the hope they fix the issues

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jeffk wrote: »
    This is What keeps me going back in the hope they fix the issues

I was shouted down on this point before, for making assumptions about what the service would be like. They havent fixed these issues in the other outlets, i dont expect much difference in Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I was there last Tuesday. Took 25 minutes to get the grub we ordered but had no complaints about the food.

If i was in a rush, I'd hit the McDonald's drive through or KFC so it is what it is. Decent spot and very popular.

I can tell you for sure that the local pubs such as the Bell are not best pleased with its popularity. I've seen it first hand how their staff had a few smart comments to make on social media in reply to some people who posted about being at it.

The monopoly is over - will the competition react accordingly? doubtful.

• Advertisement

Just had lunch in it.

Perfect, no messing with service,proper portions, staff taking away plates etc quickly

Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NakedMonkey

I was there last Tuesday. Took 25 minutes to get the grub we ordered but had no complaints about the food.

If i was in a rush, I'd hit the McDonald's drive through or KFC so it is what it is. Decent spot and very popular.

I can tell you for sure that the local pubs such as the Bell are not best pleased with its popularity. I've seen it first hand how their staff had a few smart comments to make on social media in reply to some people who posted about being at it.

The monopoly is over - will the competition react accordingly? doubtful.

Have to agree.

A barman even said they have no idea what Irish customers want so shouldn't be involved in the Irish pub industry as they're no better than a fast food outlet that sell piss.

When it was pointed out that they're all doing well and they have a better selection of beer than a lot of Irish pubs the only response they could say was "Do they sell Guinness?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Have to agree.

A barman even said they have no idea what Irish customers want so shouldn't be involved in the Irish pub industry as they're no better than a fast food outlet that sell piss.

When it was pointed out that they're all doing well and they have a better selection of beer than a lot of Irish pubs the only response they could say was "Do they sell Guinness?"

When I go on hols, I usually cannot get the Cider I drink, so I find an alternative and the world never ended.

It's a very Irish trait of attack at all costs. The Irish public have in recent years become a lot more prudent with their few bob and that's good.

PS: They probably don't sell Guinness because Guinness are too scared to strike a deal with Weterspoons, due to the closed shop in Ireland,seen when the drinks manufacturers were bent over a barrel in the same way Heineken was, thanks to Charie Chawke et all. Wetherspoons played hard ball and effectively won.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A barman even said they have no idea what Irish customers want so shouldn't be involved in the Irish pub industry
    hahaha, like all the irish pubs know or its some sort of secret. Thankfully they did not do the seemingly sensible thing and walk into another Irish pub and see how they operate, otherwise it would be just another 1 stout, couple of lagers and 1 cider shithole.

the only response they could say was "Do they sell Guinness?"
    Few answers to that.
    A -Yes. which will get a reply "no they don't" to which the response is "then why the fuck did you ask if you knew already?"
    B- No, spoons have 9 stouts (if you count the porter in), thankfully some decent stouts with more taste, ones you rarely see in run of the mill pubs which often have no more than 2 stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

PS: They probably don't sell Guinness because Guinness are too scared to strike a deal with Weterspoons, due to the closed shop in Ireland,seen when the drinks manufacturers were bent over a barrel in the same way Heineken was, thanks to Charie Chawke et all. Wetherspoons played hard ball and effectively won.

I wouldn't feel to sorry for the macro drinks industry. Hino are more than happy to keep their price inflated to have the "premium" market. Also it give the a nice war chest to send on pubs via soft loans/merchandising that they feel pay ball with them and represents their out look.

I am just back from Thomas land Dayton Manor and was staying in the town of Tamworth. There were the classic real ale pubs, that gets locals and people who seek them out. But they tend not to be overly family friendly places.

But what was interesting was the three main family pubs/restaurants where copies of the spoons model. From food to drinks and event the bar, but all run by different companies!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Went last Tuesday starter came and the minute we where finished out came the mains.Which was very unusual.The chicken and ribs were rotten.Like reheats.So i sent them back,the second lot was soo much better.Chicken lovely and moist and ribs where juicy.Really nice.

Only thing i found is if you drink wine you would be probably be better off buying the bottle.

But i had a double and a splash of coke.It was very nice,not watered down at all.You cpould taste the alcohol.

Will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Cider festival (cask) at Witherspoons kick off this week. It was running at the Great woods last night, when I dropped in. Tempted Cider special reserve was the only Irish cider I think that will be at it. A cracking cider in top condition on cask and only 3.50 a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dropped in for a breakfast this morning. Food was good and service was quick.

Will go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Drove past. Looked in.

Will drive by again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Dropped in for a breakfast this morning. Food was good and service was quick.

Will go again.

cost?

full irish?

served till what time?

Advertisement