Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    cost?

full irish?

served till what time?

Sorry, breakfast menu not on this:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/TheGreatWood2015.pdf

It does say that breakfast is served until 12 noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    cost?

full irish?

served till what time?

Full irish and eggs benedict came to €14 I think.

Couldn't see a time when it stopped.
    Was plenty of people there getting breakfasts with kids.
    I had my 20 month old son who they gave crayons and some pages to colour in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Full irish and eggs benedict came to €14 I think.

Couldn't see a time when it stopped.
    Was plenty of people there getting breakfasts with kids.
    I has my 20 month old son who they gave crayons and some pages to colour in.

Breakfast is served until 12pm, and they do an all day brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

image.jpgI'm going for breakfast there now! Just for you guys. Eggs benedict and the pancakes with bacon.

Chef seems to think a poached egg is the same as a hard boiled egg, no runniness. No rocket served with it, even though it says it is on the menu. Soda bread was nice though.

Bacon pancakes with maple syrup were fine, but don't serve it with the bacon in between the pancakes as they get soggy with the grease from the rasher.

Served with two cappuccinos total cost €9.90 so you can't complain about that very much!

Arciphel wrote: »
    image.jpgI'm going for breakfast there now! Just for you guys. Eggs benedict and the pancakes with bacon.

Chef seems to think a poached egg is the same as a hard boiled egg, no runniness. No rocket served with it, even though it says it is on the menu. Soda bread was nice though.

Bacon pancakes with maple syrup were fine, but don't serve it with the bacon in between the pancakes as they get soggy with the grease from the rasher.

Served with two cappuccinos total cost €9.90 so you can't complain about that very much!

The poached eggs are bought pre-cooked and microwaved, so no chance of a runny one! Was chatting to one of the cooks the other day, he gave me all the juicy details :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Arciphel wrote: »
    !

That looks like ice cream!! :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

py2006 wrote: »
    That looks like ice cream!! :confused::confused::confused:

well its and eggs sauce, like custard that goes to make ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

They must have robbed them plates off their granny.They are so old fashioned looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Been there three times. First time service was incredibly slow. Previous two occasions its been much better though.

Really like the place, I enjoy whiskey, so being able to double drinks for an extra €2 is brilliant. However what I love the most is not being charged €2.50-€3.00 for a 113ml bottle mixer. Can get a double Jameson and mixer for €6.75 as opposed to ~€12 elsewhere. Then Redbreast, €7.75 is quite pricey for a measure, but can double it for the extra €2, again very very good value. Have tried a few of the IPAs, stouts and so on, really nice drinks too. The €2.50 drinks have been unavailable everytime Ive gone though.

Hopefully causes other pubs to take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

oblivious wrote: »
    well its and eggs sauce, like custard that goes to make ice cream

In English please

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    In English please

I think he means hollandaise and custard are both egg-based sauces, therfore they look alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Flex wrote: »
    Been there three times. First time service was incredibly slow. Previous two occasions its been much better though.

Really like the place, I enjoy whiskey, so being able to double drinks for an extra €2 is brilliant. However what I love the most is not being charged €2.50-€3.00 for a 113ml bottle mixer. Can get a double Jameson and mixer for €6.75 as opposed to ~€12 elsewhere. Then Redbreast, €7.75 is quite pricey for a measure, but can double it for the extra €2, again very very good value. Have tried a few of the IPAs, stouts and so on, really nice drinks too. The €2.50 drinks have been unavailable everytime Ive gone though.

Hopefully causes other pubs to take notice.

Indeed.

113ml mixers a criminal price in many pubs.

In provincial Ireland, Jameson is 4.00-4.20, so 4.75 for a JDW seems a bit dear.

But the 2 extra for double is very good.

Redbreast is still 5.75 in 3T in Blackrock, so under 4 per shot if you double.

Even at 7.75 single, 9.75 double, still under 5 per shot.

The 2.50 beers are all cask ales, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Paid my first visit yesterday evening. Very busy and buzzing! The interior and decor is really impressive and the service was friendly and efficient so no issues there. My OH had the roast which I wouldn't recommend as the portion was miserable. On such a large plate, the few peas and carrots and tiny piece of beef looked lost! I had the Mexican beef burger which was decently loaded and tasty but again the few scattered chips looked measly.

While they are cheaper than average for pub meals, especially if you include a pint, there is something off putting about the tiny portions. It was curry night last night and the dishes being brought out looked more substantial so maybe it's the daily specials that are more value for money.

I would go back again as there is a nice vibe to the place and is a great addition to D15 but it would be worthwhile knowing which food options are more substantial than others so you're not still hungry after as my OH was. Also the drinks deals with meals only apply to a few alcohol choices (eg Fosters, Tuborg, one choice of cider or wine etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

i was in a town in the UK last week and nearly every pub in the town center was either wetherspoons or stonegate (another pub chain). there was 4 within walking distance of each other (I was just in one of the spoons an 1 of the stonegate ones) and they were horrible, filthy.
    but the beers and food is cheap.

hopefully they don't take off over here or soon every pub will be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

limitedIQ wrote: »
    i was in a town in the UK last week and nearly every pub in the town center was either wetherspoons or stonegate (another pub chain). there was 4 within walking distance of each other (I was just in one of the spoons an 1 of the stonegate ones) and they were horrible, filthy.
    but the beers and food is cheap.

hopefully they don't take off over here or soon every pub will be one.

I have not been in either of the Southside Spoons but the D15 offering is polar opposite from the UK Spoons that you are referring to in terms of decor / aesthetics. Its a very good setup, and I'd guess the Blackrock and Dun L shops are far from 'kip' status.

Was in there yesterday late afternoon with wife and young 'uns. They were happy enough with what they got. €28 for 3 meals, 2 deserts and 3 drinks. Very reasonable. You won't be getting Bon Crubeen standards here ever. Its cheep and cheerful in terms of food and will remain so, but for many, including myself, it'll do, most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

dodzy wrote: »
    I have not been in either of the Southside Spoons but the D15 offering is polar opposite from the UK Spoons that you are referring to in terms of decor / aesthetics. Its a very good setup, and I'd guess the Blackrock and Dun L shops are far from 'kip' status.

Was in there yesterday late afternoon with wife and young 'uns. They were happy enough with what they got. €28 for 3 meals, 2 deserts and 3 drinks. Very reasonable. You won't be getting Bon Crubeen standards here ever. Its cheep and cheerful in terms of food and will remain so, but for many, including myself, it'll do, most of the time.

Do they have a kids menu?

January wrote: »

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

yeah you are right they are nice over here and its great finally have another option instead of our homegrown rip-off merchant pubs !
    , but I reckon once other pubs in the towns close down and wetherspoons takes over them buildings it will be a race to the bottom as they try to cut everything to the bone to maximize profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Stand Side

January wrote: »

I was there Wednesday evening and they did have kids menu, 4.95 inclues drink and pretty good choice, portion of fruit, for ages up to 10 years.
    Was not on main menu but separare colour in page you can request.

Had couple drinks and share platter, nice selection of dips, but could indeed look at increasing portion size especially on the chips.

Nice atmosphere, friendly and very helpful staff.

Tip. When you go in take a seat and note the tabl. Number as you order the food at the bar with your drinks. Pretty simple system but effective.

Nice crowd and door staff on even early evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was there Wednesday evening and they did have kids menu, 4.95 inclues drink and pretty good choice, portion of fruit, for ages up to 10 years.
    Was not on main menu but separare colour in page you can request.

Had couple drinks and share platter, nice selection of dips, but could indeed look at increasing portion size especially on the chips.

Nice atmosphere, friendly and very helpful staff.

Tip. When you go in take a seat and note the tabl. Number as you order the food at the bar with your drinks. Pretty simple system but effective.

Nice crowd and door staff on even early evening.

Brilliant, thanks! I have a very fussy 5 year old who basically lives on ham sandwichs, nuggets, chips, cottage pie and banana's and toast. My other children are varied eaters though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Only thing worth buying in blanchardstown and swords is the cask ale @ 2.50
    forget the rest its all more than Blackrock and Dun L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

dvdman1 wrote: »
    It is a bit annoying the you pay more than their Southside branches. But there again, I can't even remember the last time I was even in Blackrock or Dun Laoghaire, let alone had a pint there.

However I'm OK with paying €4.35 for their premium Lagers, rather than €5.00 to €6.00 plus, which seems to be the norm in the pubs I normally go to in or around D7 & D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Was in earlier today, ordered two plates of surf and turf. The scampi is great, but the steaks were woejaysus. Both supposed to be medium, but one came medium rare and the other medium well. Nasty taste of burger and burnt oil, and the teeniest '8oz' steak I've ever seen. To quote my companion: "I've had bigger poached eggs!"

I'd drink there again, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I get food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dvdman1 wrote: »

That's bs.

It may be mor than blackrock but it's still very good value.

I was drinking:
    pints of cask ghost ship for €2.50
    bottles of Lagunitas IPA for €3.25
    measures of 18 year old Jameson for €7.75

They're all stupidly cheap prices.

Ghost ship is €2 a bottle in Aldi I think
    The Lagunitas is €3.29 in my local Molloys
    And the 18 year old is most definately over a tenner in pubs.
    I don't now the exact price but it's probably closer to the €15 price than €10 as it's similar in price to Middleton.

Well it didn't take long...

Some charming folks engaging in fist exchanges on Sat night apparently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

py2006 wrote: »
    Well it didn't take long...

Some charming folks engaging in fist exchanges on Sat night apparently?

People fight when they get drunk. Not shocking and not the fault of any one pub or chain of pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but could indeed look at increasing portion size especially on the chips.
    spoons list their calories. I was welcoming this idea when they said all restaurants would have to do it. Not from a dieting "low calorie" point of view, but for backing up a complaint about small portions or having an idea of what portion size to expect in the first place.

Spoons have their chips down as 398kcal which is not big. McD's medium/large fries are 337/444. I know they are probably different styles of chips but I have weighed chipper bags before and reckoned it was over 1000kcal.

Problem is chips are more random in how they dish them out than the other stuff they have. After reading posts here I would be sure to ask for "lots of chips" when ordering.

People fight when they get drunk. Not shocking and not the fault of any one pub or chain of pubs.

I didn't ask why people fight nor did I suggest it was the pub at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I was there on Saturday night and this potential fight was defused just about.

It was was two travellers having a go at each other.

The security was brutal to say the least asking the lads please go outside I kid you not.

Thankfully it didn't kick off fully and eventually they made their way downstairs and outside.

They need more doormen, bigger more capable doormen and they need to watch who they're letting in.

If they were to take a note out of Mc Gowans of Phibsboro book they'd do alright.

The doormen there take abuse online but as someone who used to frequent there I can tell you in the event of a fight or potential fight the offenders are physically and forcefully ejected incredibly fast and never let back in.

Unfortunately for Weatherspoons it has cheap booze which will attract the wrong crowd.

It's how they deal with this that will make or break them.

• Advertisement

It was was two travellers having a go at each other.

I can imagine the reluctance of the security guys having to intervene in this one. Them there lads can get pretty messy once they're fully wound up.

Advertisement