Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dodzy wrote: »
    I can imagine the reluctance of the security guys having to intervene in this one. Them there lads can get pretty messy once they're fully wound up.

Absolutely. However it's their job.
    They looked like they had no clue how to handle it. Just lucky that there wasn't a punch thrown inside the pub.

There's was a crowd of young lads beside where we were sitting that were in tracksuits and runners etc.

I've nothing against the look if that's what you're into but it does send a message as to what is allowed in your establishment.

They were shouting and roaring and messy drunk falling out of the place at around 9pm or so.

Again they just need to be careful in what they let in and how they deal with those they do let in.

The cheap prices from what I've witnessed have brought in lots of people which is great and I'm all for cheaper prices across the board btw. Beats drinkin at home!

But these prices bring all sorts which they need to be very wary of. At the moment it looks like they aren't being anyway picky which will end in tears when the first fight breaks out which it will very soon I reckon again based on what I saw on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

But these prices bring all sorts which they need to be very wary of. At the moment it looks like they aren't being anyway picky which will end in tears when the first fight breaks out which it will very soon I reckon again based on what I saw on Saturday

Neither the night club or the Buda pub end with very good reputations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Oh, I fully agree. It's been said many times in the thread that it will be a difficult task to ensure the place is policed correctly, but vital if it's to last.
    oblivious wrote: »
    Neither the night club or the Buda pub end with very good reputations.
    True. In the Buda's case, it was common knowledge that drugs were rife in the place, and the security endorsed it almost. Shame, as it too started out as a fine establishment. I was there when it opened and we all agreed that it was a breath of fresh air to the area. Sadly, it went downhill rapid quick. A neighbour of mine was stabbed to death outside the place after intervening in a row between a guy and a girl. He was dead an hour later when a group of scumbags (mates of said guy), coraled him and his brother and inflicted horrific wounds on him. Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

They looked like they had no clue how to handle it. Just lucky that there wasn't a punch thrown inside the pub.

There's was a crowd of young lads beside where we were sitting that were in tracksuits and runners etc.

I've nothing against the look if that's what you're into but it does send a message as to what is allowed in your establishment.

They were shouting and roaring and messy drunk falling out of the place at around 9pm or so.

Again they just need to be careful in what they let in and how they deal with those they do let in.

The cheap prices from what I've witnessed have brought in lots of people which is great and I'm all for cheaper prices across the board btw. Beats drinkin at home!

If its anything like Dunlaoire, there will be a clearout of unwanted regular clients soon. Happened downstairs in Dunlaoire a few weeks ago. Apparently a "Area Manager" walked in pointed out the unwanted and they where barred from the premises there and then. my guesstimate is about 12 to 15 lads, all regulars.

In fairness it made a massive difference to the atmosphere downstairs, well done Witherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mech1 wrote: »
    If its anything like Dunlaoire, there will be a clearout of unwanted regular clients soon. Happened downstairs in Dunlaoire a few weeks ago. Apparently a "Area Manager" walked in pointed out the unwanted and they where barred from the premises there and then. my guesstimate is about 12 to 15 lads, all regulars.

In fairness it made a massive difference to the atmosphere downstairs, well done Witherspoons.

Hopefully that happens so cause it has a lot of potential.

Beautiful pub with a great selection of decent and different beer etc...

Kind of reminded me of a porterhouse when I walked in first which is a great first impression in my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There tonight for the first time. Nice, bright and airy, busy for a Wednesday night. Security very visible and a lot of them.

Got there around ten and they'd run out of the ingredients for one of the cocktails on their quite limited list. First world problem though ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

athtrasna wrote: »
    bright and airy

Not words that ever fill me with much enthusiasm when applied to a pub. But I haven't been there yet so I'll reserve judgement until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

athtrasna wrote: »
    There tonight for the first time. Nice, bright and airy, busy for a Wednesday night. Security very visible and a lot of them.

Got there around ten and they'd run out of the ingredients for one of the cocktails on their quite limited list. First world problem though ;)
    They must have heard you were on the way down, so they upped their presence;)

Zaph wrote: »
    Not words that ever fill me with much enthusiasm when applied to a pub. But I haven't been there yet so I'll reserve judgement until then.
    Agree totally with Ath. Aesthetically, it's a great job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Has been evacuated. David mcguinness post picture on fb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

January wrote: »

Curry Club Thursday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Bringing us the important local news that matters I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Fire alarm went off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

. David mcguinness post picture on fb.

If there's 'trouble' or drama in the general area no better man for being first to tweet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Have been here twice. I think it's a nice spot for a couple of drinks max and a light bit of food. Got a Tennessee burger with chips and onion rings and a Staropramen beer for around a 10er. That's great in my books. Loads of staff, all really attentive and visible. Bathrooms are immaculate, as are the rest of the furnishings.

On my second visit, I was with a group of lads and they were mightilly unimpressed with the amount of food . Called them pigeon portions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I believe all the food is prepared off site and brought in like what Gordan Ramsey does and nuked in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Hootanany wrote: »
    I believe all the food is prepared off site and brought in like what Gordan Ramsey does and nuked in the kitchen.

Not quite. The method GR uses in some of his restaurants is sous vide, which is boil-in-the-bag.

So it is prepared off site then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

So it is prepared off site then

Yes, i was just pointing out the (small) difference. Sous vide isn't too bad cos it maintains moisture. Microwaving chicken breasts and poached eggs is just insane imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rawn wrote: »
    Yes, i was just pointing out the (small) difference.
    big difference IMO, he said nuking which is an extremely negative claim, I have seen no reports of him microwaving stuff.

Sous vide is common practice, and pretty much the total opposite of nuking, in that it is well respected technique. Probably goes on in a lot more high class restaurants than people think, some will only declare it for meats. Lidl have sous vide stuff now and charge a high premium for it.

It would not put me off Ramsey's restaurants one bit, in fact I would be going in expecting to get a more consistently good product. The "prepared off site" comment does not put me off at all, the nuking claim certainly would -although microwaving can be done well too, most people at home destroy stuff using far too much power.

• Advertisement

Most commercial Kitchens have Microwaves what do you think they are used for?

Most commercial Kitchens have Microwaves what do you think they are used for?

I expect mainly for reheating high liquid foods, what they are ideal for. I never suggested microwaves are never used in commercial kitchens. I already said microwaves can be used very well too, if you can tell food has been microwaved you are doing it wrong, or else doing food totally unsuited to them, which will never come out well. You will see Ramsey on those "kitchen nightmare" programs able to tell if it was microwaved a mile off.

I read several of those articles about Ramsey, not one even suggested he was microwaving. Did you read otherwise? or where did you come up with the idea. I expect he might well use them to reheat gravy if made offsite, the articles I read were talking of coq au vin, or "coq au van" as the pun headline went.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

At this rate, I know more about what's going on in Wetherspoons than in my own kitchen!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

"On my second visit, I was with a group of lads and they were mightilly unimpressed with the amount of food . Called them pigeon portions! "

this is a plus point for me, I hate waste and the portions are perfect size especially if I want to have a few pints. eating too much just makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I thought the portion sizes where decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think it depends on what you get.

Don't order the roasts of the day etc as they are miserly. Yet, if you order a burger or Philly Cheese steak type meal, the plate is quite loaded including chips and onion rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Considering the price I think the portion sizes are grand.

The forty foot has pics of food, I wish more restaurants would do this.

https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

10987702_606101929521253_5341649209380638914_n.jpg?oh=e8cfbfa56021681a8f3f507bd2dde45c&oe=564CF6DE

11025740_614379748693471_6140316222489138053_n.jpg?oh=4855e6c4518c4f71a3450c6fd0bf5dc8&oe=5650D8ED

Not a lot of chips, but as I said before their calorie page does not claim to give a lot. The likes of mcdonalds also are not very high in calories. People go on about mcdonalds not being filling etc, as though there is some weird chemical in the food. In reality its simply that other places give ridiculously high calorie portions in comparison.

If that "supersize me" documentary was done in most hotels here he under similar rules would have been far fatter, i.e. eating a full irish breakfast, full lunch and full dinner, and everytime you get offered extra helpings you have to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Less peas more chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

py2006 wrote: »
    Less peas more chips
    Sounds like a brilliant campaign slogan. :)

"Less Peas.
    More Chips.
    When Do We Want Them.
    NOW!"

Advertisement