Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Sous vide is extremely fancy boil in the bag. Its kinda started off in posh restuarants both is working its way down. The meat is vac packed and put into a cooking bath at a really specific temperature , has to be accurate to .1 of a degree i think. The temperature is that which breaks down all the tough tissue while really slowly cooking the meat. Its really hard to over cook the meat so it can be left in the bath once ordered and then its browned or seared. The meat is melt in your mouth tender usually.

If spoons are doing this they are possible cooking it in bulk offsite or onsite, storing it and reheat sear prep when ordered. Since the cooking technique is of almost immaculate quality , they are probably getting away with poorer meat and reheating methods so the finished product is more towards the pub grub end than the fancy end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Said I'd leave it a month before revisiting which we did last night. There are significant improvements to be seen. The staff are much slicker now which is great to see. No headless chickens running around goofing up orders and very reasonable wait times. Erdinger was well stocked as was everything else I could see. Steak, chips, 6 million peas was lovely for 14€. No knackers/scrotes to be seen (bar 1 table of hyenas directly behind us but they moved out before 10pm).

Well impressed with the improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

py2006 wrote: »
    Less peas more chips

Hey give peas a chance ✌

😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

dodzy wrote: »
    Said I'd leave it a month before revisiting which we did last night. There are significant improvements to be seen. The staff are much slicker now which is great to see. No headless chickens running around goofing up orders and very reasonable wait times. Erdinger was well stocked as was everything else I could see. Steak, chips, 6 million peas was lovely for 14€. No knackers/scrotes to be seen (bar 1 table of hyenas directly behind us but they moved out before 10pm).

Well impressed with the improvements.
    Was also there yesterday evening and I would endorse everything you said there, dodzy.

In the first couple of weeks following the opening, I seem to recall that the price listed on the menu of Staropramen and San Miguel (pints) as €4.35. Last evening, the menu listed them as €3.95 which was pleasant suprise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Was also there yesterday evening and I would endorse everything you said there, dodzy.

In the first couple of weeks following the opening, I seem to recall that the price listed on the menu of Staropramen and San Miguel (pints) as €4.35. Last evening, the menu listed them as €3.95 which was pleasant suprise. :)

Nah, they were 3.95 on opening 😉

But hey, who's complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I was in during the first week and generally very impressed however had to wait about 45 mins for the food which wasn't ideal with 3 small kids in tow, so I left with an open mind and said I'd give it a few weeks to settle down. Went in again yesterday at about 6pm and when ordering was told there would be a 45 - 50 minute wait for food. Again had the very hungry kids with us so decided to leave. I was surprised as it didn't look anywhere near as busy as it was the first time. Disappointed but will try again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Strict door policy tonight. Checking a lot of id

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

athtrasna wrote: »
    Strict door policy tonight. Checking a lot of id

It will be that way everywhere tonight with it being leaving cert results night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Doyler92 wrote: »
    It will be that way everywhere tonight with it being leaving cert results night.

Having said that I noted a family with small children leaving at 10.20 which was well after legal time.

Also ladies toilets were pretty manky tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

athtrasna wrote: »
    Having said that I noted a family with small children leaving at 10.20 which was well after legal time.

Also ladies toilets were pretty manky tonight

Considering how slow they are with food, the family probably arrived at 5pm, just got there food after 9.30

• Advertisement

Considering how slow they are with food, the family probably arrived at 5pm, just got there food after 9.30

I have had at least 6 different meals there at this stage, ranging from Friday evenings to Sunday morning breakfast and I can honestly say that I have never experienced slow service when waiting for food to come to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

There today for the first time.... very busy. Had problem with the menu, fish, chips and peas with drink on the menu for 7.95, when ordered at cashier it was 8.50. Questioned the price, but was told that was price. After a while a member of staff went around collecting the menus from the tables, said that they were old ones from another branch and had been put out on the tables on error. Should they not have honoured the pricing on their menus?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

miss misty wrote: »
    Should they not have honoured the pricing on their menus?

They're under no obligation to do so. A price on a menu is simply an "invitation to treat", which means that they company offering the product are willing to accept payment for that product. However it doesn't mean that they are obliged to accept a particular price, even if it's published by them, to allow for the fact that they may have made a genuine mistake with the price on the menu. The same goes for price tags on goods in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Zaph wrote: »
    They're under no obligation to do so. A price on a menu is simply an "invitation to treat", which means that they company offering the product are willing to accept payment for that product. However it doesn't mean that they are obliged to accept a particular price, even if it's published by them, to allow for the fact that they may have made a genuine mistake with the price on the menu. The same goes for price tags on goods in shops.

While entirely correct on a low value item any company with a bit of cop on will admit the mistake and honour the price. They don't have to as you've mentioned but its very short sighted to disenfranchise a customer for €0.55.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I totally agree, it's only a few cents and it's good PR. But they probably look at it being only a few cents for every customer and that all adds up.

Zaph wrote: »
    I totally agree, it's only a few cents and it's good PR. But they probably look at it being only a few cents for every customer and that all adds up.
    Also remember you are dealing with a corporate entity and unless you speak directly to a manager, none of the regular staff will take that type of decision for fear of been repremanded or worse.

But there again, I can't remember the amount of times I was ripped of royally in so called family run Irish establishments over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Finally got to visit last night and I was very impressed

€1.95 was cheapest pint I could find, it's €3.50 for well known brands like Carlsbeg

Food is decent enough, can't complain for price your paying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Went last night but just for beer.
    Had all the beers I wanted plus a round for 3 came to 10.50 which is nice.

Place was fairly full so hope they keep up the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Wonder what the technical issues where that caused the rugger not to be show

The Great Wood
    Really sorry guys due to a technical error we won't be showing the rugby today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jeffk wrote: »

The Great Wood

It was on Sky Sports. They only show terrestrial t.v. sports.

• Advertisement

It was on Sky Sports. They only show terrestrial t.v. sports.

Thought as much, should have said that and not dressed it up and then had to repeat it anytime something big is on sky etc

jeffk wrote: »

The Great Wood

Where was this said? :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Where was this said? :)
    Facebook

28hoit3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Did someone forget to pay the Sky Sports bill?

Did someone forget to pay the Sky Sports bill?
    From the Uk site but you get the idea

"Many of our pubs will show the major sporting events available on terrestrial TV. A limited few also show Sky TV. Please contact the pub of your choice directly for confirmation of any events which it is showing."

Then most people have said its help keep the costs low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I haven't been down there yet so don't know but have they had SS to date? Not having it isn't a technical error, it's a business decision.

I haven't been down there yet so don't know but have they had SS to date? Not having it isn't a technical error, it's a business decision.

No they had sky news on the times I looked at the tv, the last time they had nothing.

Exactly, say that, please refer to this link as to why the rugby isnt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire pubs dont show pay TV. They only have one screen showing RTE news now with the sound off.

Showing sport is not in Spoons' interest, they dont want 50 guys standing around drinking 3 quid pints when they could get a bunch of family groups put through in the same time, spending 60 quid a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lack of Sky Sports is an attraction to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Lack of Sky Sports is an attraction to me.

Yeah, there are more than enough pubs with loud TVs & music already.

Advertisement