Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Pint of Sharps Doom Bar on special offer today. €1.95 a pint and it aint bad at all...

Anybody taste the really hot curry they do on a Thurs. I can't recall what they call it but it's hotter than their madras

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Shemale wrote: »
    Wonder if its an English measure

That would not be legal here

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

py2006 wrote: »
    Anybody taste the really hot curry they do on a Thurs. I can't recall what they call it but it's hotter than their madras

http://m.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/food/menu/curry-club-11

Maybe the flaming dragon curry?

septictank wrote: »

Thats the one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just stopped in there for the first time this evening - fancied a bite to eat but the thoughts of being ripped off, especially for a beer, in milanos or nandos didn't appeal to me.

So in we went - lives in the U.K. For a few years and always found the wetherspoons there a bit meh, but was pleasantly surprised with the decor.

Ordered fish and chips with a pint of real ale for myself, lasagne with Salad and a glass of Merlot for herself and a hot dog and Pepsi for the little fella - all in €25. Service was quick and food lovely - we would struggle to have gotten fish and chips for €8.50 a head in the local chipper.

Finished off with an American Ipa beer - on offer for €1.95 a pint. Cracking value and I'll be back. More of these please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

py2006 wrote: »
    Thats the one...

Was it good,?

oblivious wrote: »
    Was it good,?

Haven't had it yet, was waiting for somebody to say what they thought of it. I might try it next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Went in on Friday evening after Jimmy Bond flick with 2 friends. A good few people in but not overly busy. Very few eating. Went upstairs and sat down at about 8.10 with 3 beers. One of the group decided on a burger and chips. Went to the bar to order and was told there was a 40min wait. (No reason why as nobody was eating). Never ordered and just sat back down. Hunger got the better of him so he went back to the bar 10mins later to order and was told they were taking no further orders (this was at 8.50).

Amazed.

30mins later he attempted to order and was told they were taking orders but there was a 50min wait. During a30min period prior to this, no food left the serving area. 50mins later, on the button, the food was delivered. A cold plate of chips and a burnt burger - I sh1t you not.

I was hopeful that these issues would have been resolved at this stage but sadly it seems not. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Wow that seems incredibly strange dodgy. And disappointing.

I've eaten there twice for lunch in last month. Week day and a sat. Very quiet on the weekday, quieter than I thought it would be on a sat.

Both times food was fine (all relative to price), came withing about ten minutes.

I got the meal deal including the adult beverage and it can't be beaten for value/price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ate here last week for dinner (got a burger) and was very much tasteless I must admit. May try their curry club as looks nicer and heard good thinks but not overly pushed.

On the plus side last few times been in for a beer there has been ok beer on a mangers special at 1.95. San Miquel and Staropramen. Great value especially for the Staropramen.

amdublin wrote: »
    Wow that seems incredibly strange dodgy. And disappointing.

I've eaten there twice for lunch in last month. Week day and a sat. Very quiet on the weekday, quieter than I thought it would be on a sat.

Both times food was fine (all relative to price), came withing about ten minutes.

I got the meal deal including the adult beverage and it can't be beaten for value/price.

Yep, maybe its just the late evenings vs your lunch times. Still, my experience(s) were terrible shabby, unfortunately. That said, its a definite WIN for just the beers though ;)

Anybody else notice the price of some of the drink has gone up?

A bottle of Tsingtao has gone from €3.95 to €4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Up there last night.

I gave in a fiver for two pints of Hobgoblin ale.

I got E1.10 change. I know that it's a sale item but how on earth do they manage to sell it so cheaply.

Last time I paid E1.95 for a pint was back in the 80's:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They are the biggest single buyers of draught beer in Britain and Ireland, they obtain massive discounts and pass those on. They also use some managers specials as loss leaders for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

just under €5 for vegetarian breakfast fry there. was in the other morning. can recommend.

sarl. 2 fried eggies. beans. hash brown. tomato. 2 quorn saucies. mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

+ it was pretty empty and no noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What kind of crowd are going in there now ? Is it a family atmosphere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Always kids in there, it's a restaurant more than a pub in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Staplor wrote: »
    Always kids in there, it's a restaurant more than a pub in my opinion.

And in the evenings / night ?

• Advertisement

Haven't been there in the evening, latest I was there was 5pm, does a great daytime trade for food, would have no issues bringing a kid or two in there, the place is spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

And in the evenings / night ?

In my experience there's lots of students, small to medium size groups on nights out and a few couples. Never seen it jam packed but it would be busy enough. You shouldn't have a problem getting a table though.

Come closing time there's no hanging about and you'll be reminded/asked a few times to finish up and leave.

Have to say, I really like it for a few drinks with himself or friends. I like that there's no music, it means I can actually hear people and my ears aren't ringing the next day. The security are really good too, have seen one or two people try to kick off and they were swiftly ejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I'm a regular there and have never had any real issues with the place. Any of the food I've tried is always cooked very well and fresh enough, chilli con carne burrito is a definite recommend.

Highly rate the Stowford Press cider, very nice pint for 3.75.

Security are always on point as well, I know the lads on a personal level (yep, bouncer friends *insert inbetweeners thumbs up pic*).

All in all it's actually quite a nice place, as someone else pointed out, the no-music aspect is actually alright because you can have a conversation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Any of the food I've tried is always cooked very well and fresh enough

Is it being overly picky that I'd want my food actually fresh, as opposed to fresh enough?

I haven't been there yet, but I will visit sometime soon for a drink. However having eaten in a Wetherspoons before and being served some of the worst food I've ever had put in front of me, I'll pass on having a meal there.

If you are looking for a dinner around the centre, I think it is Wetherspoons or Dantes, and I'd go for Wetherspoons tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Zaph wrote: »
    Is it being overly picky that I'd want my food actually fresh, as opposed to fresh enough?

I haven't been there yet, but I will visit sometime soon for a drink. However having eaten in a Wetherspoons before and being served some of the worst food I've ever had put in front of me, I'll pass on having a meal there.

Not sure how that enough got there, had multiple tabs open but yeah my food has always been fresh. Apart from the one time I ordered without giving my table number resulting in the staff member roaming around for about ten minutes whilst I went outside to grab something out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

The only food cooked fresh/to order there are the steaks, the sandwiches and the fish. Everything else is prepared offsite and reheated (badly). I never understood why they have such a large menu. I would much prefer less choices if it meant they prepared everything fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Whatever you do,don't bother with the 'sunday roast' absolute muck!Its like reformed chicken/beef similar to what you would get in the supermarket in a packet,but worse!

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »

well if you want it fresh Zaph, you'd definitely be disappointed. Drinks only.

Advertisement